Sign in to follow this  
Guest Firebetty

Music for showreel

Guest Firebetty

Ok y'all.

I was curious if we could start a thread so people who don't have the greatest taste in music...like me and my "Felix the Cat" theme song...can get an idea of what music you guys would cut your reel to. I know most of us have HAD IT with the techno-shizzle. So if not that, then what?

Since the advent of iTunes, if you have an iTunes link, that's even better than just a name of a band/track etc.

Gimmee some.

Guest Crypty

Ever since I got the special edition Fight Club OST (music by the Dust Brothers), it's been my go-to for most things I work on. It's just very interesting sounding music, not trance, not techno, it is electronic for the most part but its a very, very original sound and there is a lot of variety.

I tend to really dislike music with lots of vocals in reels. Anything with an original, fresh sound and a good beat is nice. Rock is too touchy because the genre is so diverse it's hit or miss at least with me, almost always miss though.

Fast music is cool, something that goes well with fast and interesting cuts. Keeps the viewer at maximum interest. Also I don't like repetetive stuff.

Country is an obvious nono :P

Two of my favorite reel sounds are in Justin Harder's reel(If i'm not mistaken he even made the music which is all the more impressive) and the song in the BUCK reel(big onion)

Thats all I can think of for now, I know that was totally unorganized but I am tiiiireeed and rushing so I can go to sleep. Later.

Edited by Crypty

Guest daniel

both of those reels (harder's and buck's) have music composed by mr. blazing lazer. he's fucking awesome.

Guest the_Monkey
Country is an obvious nono :P

62145[/snapback]

Booo!

Booo!

The stone cold bigotry!

*gasp*

While country music may be unpopular (I can't stand it myself), I dismiss your absolutism. I'd even bet hard cash I could land a job with a gem like this... ESPECIALLY in Brooklyn. It doesn't matter the genre... if you're work is good enough, you can play whatever you like as long as you make it relevant. People enjoy it when someone successfully flips a stereotype.

-m

Guest Firebetty

Monkey, why are you up so late? Go to bed. Bad Monkey!

Edit: You Too daniel!

Edited by Firebetty

Guest Crypty

Eh well in theory anything could work, hell you could land a job if you edited good work to the thong song.

Still, there are certain genres that are less popular, especially when you are looking to land a job that has a lot to deal with pop culture.

daniel- I know that the music from BUCKs reel was originally by the Detroit Grand Pubahs. Was it remixed by blazinglazer?

Guest Firebetty

I tried to post something, it didn't work. oops.

fuck

Edited by Firebetty

Guest pmcdonald

In response to the country thing (thang) I'm going through a John Lee Hooker phase at the moment - not sure if it actually worked on the reel or not..

Guest Firebetty

Here's some ideas that I've been playing with..since I haven't cut a reel in oh...'bout 4 years.

The Black Keys - are they too gritty and too vocal-ee?

The Eagles of Death Metal - too much?

Twisted Sister - I Wanna Rock! - ok, yeah, too much.

Meat Beat Manifesto's newest stuff is VERY jazzy...maybe.

I just don't know...there's so god damned much to choose from. I think that's why everyone sticks with the technocrap...cuz they know it works.

Guest fishface

awww hell. I was just going to edit my reel to this.

If you have a great looking reel (which I don't :( ) then it is almost your obligation to chose a song that is a little fucked up. How about this song? It says, "my reel is great, this song is awful and I am funnier than you and better than you. Techno=lame."

edit*

The Black Keys could be cool. this song is pretty damn fine.

(I think a lot of producers watch them with the sound turned down anyway...so have some fun)

Edited by fishface

Guest Firebetty

Here's a very dumb question, but since I'm pretty new here, it's late and I'm doing one of those "moonlighting gigs" that are sucking my life away...I was wondering how do you make your "this" a link? I'm not so great at the javascript...I'm a designah!

I always feel stupid when you nerdyboys do that hotlink thing, and I can't.

Edited by Firebetty

Guest Firebetty

do you do it like this

?

HAAA! MY DUMB ASS FIGURED IT OUT! shit. I'm stoopid yo. :D

Edited by Firebetty

Guest daniel

lazer's got a remix of onion on his site (here), and he does work for buck.. maybe i assumed too much. i must hear more of these grand pubahs.

Guest the_Monkey

Firebetty: A little known fact... east coast monkeys are both nocturnal and fond of Raisinets.

--

Sure...some of the obvious: anything on Warp Records (Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Plaid, Prefuse 73) or NinjaTune Records (Amon Tobin, Bonobo, Coldcut). I cut my reels last year to Prefuse 73 and I want to break this year to something new... which essentially means something old. Here are a couple of pure gold finalists that ultimately got rejected:

The Ramsey Lewis Trio - The "In" Crowd :: Not only is this track so fresh...the lyrics (not in this version) are hopelessly tongue and cheek. Just enough funk and sarcasm.

Donavan - Barajagal :: Truly the funkiest track that Donavan ever made. Smooth and probably unused in anyone's reel... *ever*.

-m

Guest seabass

Since I'm in the beginning stages of a Kinks phase of my life. If I was to make reel now, I would make it to a Kinks song.

Or is it a The Kinks song?

Maybe Waterloo Sunset.

Or The Dwarves.

Or The Liars, or Man Man, or Akron Family.

They're all fun.

Who cares really, it's more about the work than the music.

Anything but Felix The Cat, that shit'll get you kickked the fuck out of my office.

Guest SermonOfMockery

chaz aka blazing lazer did the music for my reel as well... he is a genius.

i am pretty sure the detroit grand pubahs is one of his many aliases (such as rockwell and the amazing lazers).

Guest carniceria

I can't tell you what I'm gonna put on my next reel because... well you know, the walls have ears. My shizzle ain't even reLEASED yet.

ohhhh dip!

Guest FlipSwitch

my new reel song will be: "Your'e the Best" the song from the first karate kid movie...

"...history repeats itself, try and you will see, never ever doubt what you can really be.... your the best around! nothings gonna ever bring you down! your the best around! nothings gonna ever bring you down!

i had that on repeat while i did some cardio last night... very motivating song

B)

Guest SermonOfMockery

i just got an idea for some next level shit... "montage" from Team America. perfect for a reel!

The hours approaching, just give it your best

You got to reach your prime.

That’s when you need to put yourself to the test,

And show us a passage of time,

Were going to need a montage (montage)

Oh it takes a montage (montage)

Sure a lot of things happing at once,

With mind, everyone what’s going on (what’s going on?)

And when every shot you show a little improvement

Just Show it or it will take to long

that’s called a montage (montage)

Oh we want montage (montage)

And anything that we want to know, from just a beginner to a pro,

You want a montage (montage)

even rocky had a montage (montage)

(Montage…montage)

Anything that we want to know, from just a beginner to a pro,

You need a montage (montage)

Oh it takes a montage (montage)

Always fade out in a montage,

If you fade out, it seem like more time

Has passed in a montage,

Montage

Guest seabass
Sermon...you read my mind.

62246[/snapback]

Well it's not really reading, more like trying to decipher a crayon drawing from a 3 year old.

Edited by seabass

Guest Firebetty
Well isn't not really reading,

62424[/snapback]

So IS it reading or ISN'T NOT it?

Edit: Oh, and shut up sea-ASS

Edited by Firebetty

Guest Firebetty

Hey y'all, this thread kinda died, but I really wanted to get some ideas. So please forgive the revival of this rigor mortised thread.

Please offer up your music choices, and/or concepts behind why you would chose certain music.

Guest Sparkle

@FlipSwitch: I've recently seen a reel with that music. Can't remember what it was but maybe it was yours.

I think anything that is kind of upbeat and interesting will do, no matter what kind of music. At best the music reflects a certain vibe or part of your personality that you want to bring across. It has to be something that grabs the attention of the viewer so commonalities have to be avoided at any cost.

I've once seen a reel that had Blonies(I think) "Heart of Glass" in it and it really didn't work out that well especially because it is a song that almost anybody has heared one too many times.

At worst the music is a humor and pointless matrix like breakbeat that says nothing but "I'm a hardass and I fit the cliche of a GFX computer geek". I also don't like stuff that overly eager in showing off sophistication like artsy, spherical atmospherical type of stuff. It can work but seldomly does (at leas in my eyes).

Hope I'm not stepping on anybodys toes here, but its is just my humble opinion

Greets, Sparkle