Sign in to follow this  
Guest jcrash

[TUT] Combat Camera Visual Effect

Guest jcrash

For along time I was looking for an effect on how this was accomplished in such films as Dawn of the Dead, Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. After some internet scouring I found a handful of helpful posts and articles that I thought I'd share w/ you all here. I got most info from DVinfo.net

Combat Camera Visual Effect

via DV CAMs

1.) Shoot your footage with a high shutter speed.

2) Bring two copies of your clip into the After Effects timeline.

3) Use Posterize Time and bring the top copy's framerate down to about half of the framerate that you shot (PAL=25fps, so bring it down to 12 or 13fps).

export/render your clip in it's native frame rate (PAL or NTSC) even though you are utilizing one copy with a lower frame rate blended into the other. You're essentially mixing the two clips together, but going out in either 25 or 29.97fps

4) Apply the Color Transfer Mode blending your top copy and bottom copy together.

credit : Michael Robinson

I found I achieved a satisfactory result at 300frames/p/s. When you do this on a movie camera you actually decrease the shutter angle which has the same effect as increasing the shutter speed on a stills camera. As the shutter speed is now effectively faster image motion blur is decreased which gives the almost stobelike effect seen in ryan and 28 days etc, which is what I was after.

credit : Ben Humphris

All I did to get the SPR effect was (filming on a cheap Panasonic miniDV) filming it at a higher shutter speed and de-interlacing it in After Effects...and then playing with Curves or Levels to get the colour alterations and washouts that I wanted.

credit: Elliot Press

via FILM

Kaminski had the protective coating stripped from the camera lenses, making them closer to those used in the '40s. "Without the protective coating, the light goes in and starts bouncing around, which makes it slightly more diffused and a bit softer without being out of focus," he explains. The cinematographer completed the overall effect by putting the negative through an additional process that extracted more of the color.

Another camera technique they applied was using 90-degree shutters, or even 45-degree shutters for many of the battle sequences, as opposed to today's standard of 180-degree shutters. Kaminski clarifies, "In this way, we attained a certain staccato in the actors' movements and a certain crispness in the explosions, which makes them slightly more realistic."

credit: Kaminski and www.sproe.com

Guest FlipSwitch
For along time I was looking for an effect on how this was accomplished in such films as Dawn of the Dead, Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. After some internet scouring I found a handful of helpful posts and articles that I thought I'd share w/ you all here. I got most info from DVinfo.net

Combat Camera Visual Effect

via DV CAMs

1.) Shoot your footage with a high shutter speed.

2) Bring two copies of your clip into the After Effects timeline.

3) Use Posterize Time and bring the top copy's framerate down to about half of the framerate that you shot (PAL=25fps, so bring it down to 12 or 13fps).

export/render your clip in it's native frame rate (PAL or NTSC) even though you are utilizing one copy with a lower frame rate blended into the other. You're essentially mixing the two clips together, but going out in either 25 or 29.97fps

4) Apply the Color Transfer Mode blending your top copy and bottom copy together.

62239[/snapback]

kinda confused about this... if u brought the framerate down in the first clip wouldnt it make the clip shorter than the bottom clip... thus making the transform layer only play on half of the clip...or am i missing something here... also don't quite understand the look this would achieve seems to me that it might seem a little to crazy... but than again i could be missing something...can u post your results... as a digital filmmaker im always trying to make my video look better in any way possible... thanks

B)

Guest jcrash

flip, it supposed have sort of a blooming/ streaky feel for that posterize time layer. I didn't actually try that method... it was credited to Michael Robinson on DVinfo.net.

The basic look is sort of that streaky light with fast staccato movements which is achieved by having no motion blur between frames (result of a high shutter speed). It should be said that hand cam work and no protective coating on the lens helps this effect as well.

The fast time look w/ a high shutter speed was really what I was after... (which is the 3rd DV method). I'm just sort of posting my research on the technique...

Edited by jcrash

Guest FlipSwitch

i see... i actually have some high shutter footage at home and i will put this technique to test... i am intrigued

Guest kai

...or just shoot it with the dvx100 in 24p and crank the shutter speed up. Voila, instant saving private ryan frame stutter.