Sign in to follow this  
Guest No.4

Growing stuff in c4d

Guest ChrisC
I made these sketches while I was on the clock at Saline, but they ultimately didn't get used for the particular project...

Nice work man! Like the Cheen shader, I've kind of forgotten about these special effect shaders recently - they're a bloody goldmine!

Cheers for sharing - Chris

Guest Sao_Bento

All I'm getting is an empty project file.

Hmm, works for me - what version of C4D are you using?

Also - Thanks again to Monkey. Nice work.

Guest the_Monkey

Thanks all for the kind words. I'm glad it's been helpful.

I have a couple more examples that I didn't post at first because they were built "wrong" for the sake of speed and I didn't want to encourage people to build poor spline volumes. There are several times where I "cross the streams" on purpose just to get a blown out effect in the geometry (motion people can stand that but it drives 3d people nuts). Ordinarily that would be bad since it would violate the uniformity of the polygon normals, but in this case I built the textures with that in mind.

Graf_03_H264.jpg Graf_07a_H264.jpg

Graf_03 is an example where I created a secondary sweep with a secondary profile to fill the volume a little better.

Graf_07a is my freeform.

Scenefile Graf_03.zip

Scenefile Graf_07a.zip

:)

-m

Guest ChrisC

Great stuff! I think this means I must be a 3D person, cos those intersections made me flinch :blink: But lovely work, you've caught the 'spirit' of grafiti much more than all those farking flying arrows that have started appearing all over the place!

Cheers for the files - C

...Thanks all for the kind words. I'm glad it's been helpful.

Guest atslopes

Great stuff! I think this means I must be a 3D person, cos those intersections made me flinch :blink: But lovely work, you've caught the 'spirit' of grafiti much more than all those farking flying arrows that have started appearing all over the place!

Cheers for the files - C

Monkey wins my award for the coolest mograph.net member of the day. :) thanks man

Guest P90

I cant take you enough Monkey.

Your officialy the best monkey I know.

:) Thank you a lot for all the files.

(Edit: I'm sure he means 'thank.' If not, let me just say, ' o.0 ' )

great stuff that you are sharing here. Big thanx for that.

I don´t understand where´s the difference between the 2 splines ["path"+"spline"] in both examples.

I tried to delete one of them and i see the effect, but when i try to rebuild something like this for myself, i don´t know how to start.

Did u draw both of them and put them in the sweep nurb or what ???

Maybe u write a little litte little tutorial how to rebuild that ? Or if anyone other who knows would do that... that would be great.

great stuff that you are sharing here. Big thanx for that.

I don´t understand where´s the difference between the 2 splines ["path"+"spline"] in both examples.

I tried to delete one of them and i see the effect, but when i try to rebuild something like this for myself, i don´t know how to start.

Did u draw both of them and put them in the sweep nurb or what ???

Maybe u write a little litte little tutorial how to rebuild that ? Or if anyone other who knows would do that... that would be great.

I would like to build a good Sweep NURBS tutorial. Perhaps soon.

If you have a problem file/pic that you can post people usually jump into help pretty quickly.

I can't remember the ["path"+"spline"] thing but a Sweep NURBS is built like this.

Sweep NURBS Object

-> Profile Spline

-> Path Spline

-> Rail Spline

• The first child of the sweep object is the profile (the shape of the sweep).

• The second child is the path that you want that shape to follow.

• The third child is the rail the can be used to effect a variety of parameters, but all of them are in relation to path spline (#2). Rail is often used to adjust the alignment and/or scale of the sweep.

You need the first two splines but the third is optional.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but here are some tips:

1) Start simple. Make an extrusion. Make one that bends 90 degrees. Then one with two bends.... then a 30/90 combo... and on up.

2) Use the same number of points (and interpolation) for your path and rail.

3) Bezier splines are the hardest to control. Either build them mathematically or start with b-splines/cubic splines and convert them.

4) Make sure your wireframes are visible and optimize your interpolation as you go.

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

Urgh. I m new to C4D. I made 3D lines using Splines, and extruded them. i want them to grow.

whats next? i tried putting them in a null, and linking the null to a sweep nurb with no luck.

I know about Path Deformer, but, that just moves the item along the path, and doesn't grow it right?

Its either or you dont need both.

With Extrude you're only extruding a spline shape to create depth, in which then the movement can be animated for growth.

With Sweep you're extruding a spline shape along a spline path(So two spline objects are needed), in which then the growth parameters can be animated.

Guest Sao_Bento
whenever i create the two splines in sweep mode nurb, i always get really crazy shapes as opposed to lines..

They have to be in the right orientation. If you're using a primitive shape, change the orientation in the attributes. If you're using custom drawn splines, use the axis tool a rotate.

Damn, Jonathan, you're amazing. You text me twice today about this, then you post here, and in the couple of hours in between you couldn't be bothered to crack a manual or look at a tutorial or experiment with various settings just to see what they'll do.

Edit: Okay, the quick answer. Select spline. Structure>Edit Spline>Reverse sequence.