Sign in to follow this  
Guest PrsROSE

reel finished - www.j-geissler.com

Guest PrsROSE

http://www.j-geissler.com/DemoReel/

My site and reel are done for the time being... have interviews with NASA and Zona coming up soon...

Just want to know what the general consensus is on the reel-- is it job worthy? is it appropriate? what is your first impression? is it professional? let me know anything/everything...

~jeff

****EDIT*****

rerendered with semi-better compression settings

Guest Tread

I write this as I wait for your 67 MB reel to load in my browser. That's rediculous. The small one was too compressed to enjoy. For your low bandwidth version, bring it up a few megs, and bring your high bandwidth down. You should be able to get acceptable quality around 20-30 megs. Especially if you are using Sorenson Pro. If not, just use Mpeg 4. And make them streaming. I despise waiting for a movie to load that doesn't stream.

That's my complaint. If I were reviewing you for a possible job, I'd move on. I think that shows inexperience.

Sight looks good.

My constructive criticism.

Ted

Guest dun_d3viant

I like it. Of course I am bias because I am your good friend.

Anywho, Jeff just has his first child on Sunday night! I say we give him all a congrats and a pat on the back!

Cigars Anyone?

DuN

ps. Yes, this email is off subject, but he just had a kid for Christ's sake.

Guest SermonOfMockery

congrats on the kid!

your reel could be more focused- you have a lot of live action in there, which is fine for a director's reel, but if you're posting here i'm guessing you're after motion graphics jobs.

also i think you should brush up on your type skills. for example, there's a bit about anti-depressants or something in that reel that uses like 8 different faces in one sentence. try reading up on massimo vignelli or jospeh muller brockman to get a sense of refined typography.

i'd also ditch the software references (like the guitar model and the stuff about rendering passes). if your work is tight that's #1- employers want to see sick design in your reel, not what software you know.

my $.02... take it for whatever it's worth.

Guest Scorch

congrats for the kid, sympathies for the reel.

As a viewer, I don't know what you're trying to tell me, it's slow-paced, and doesn't really contain any motion graphics or good camera work. Music's depressing.

other than that it's great! :cry:

Guest what?

basically, not to be mean, but it's just not 'hip' enough. it's all a bit dull. but there is always gonna be a market for it, so if that's what you were going for, then it does the job.

Guest Scorch
but there is always gonna be a market for it,

I'm not sure there is you know

Guest PrsROSE

thats a low blow- wedding videos. but i see point you are tying to make.

my question for all artists is this: do you have to be 'hip' to be relevant!?

we'll see who has the last laugh in 3-5 years when all this new 'hip' style is cliche and considered amateur-- for example, look at all the graphics stuff from the 80's... it was considered high tech and cutting edge then, and now its laughable...

however, your comments are pretty much dead on-- I agree with most of them.

i guess im really not a motion graphics designer when you get down to it... I'm a much more effective producer, art director, writer, etc...

I dont fit in with current trends--but i dont think that invalidates my integrity or value as an artist/designer... sure there wont be as many jobs for me...

anyhow, thanks for the input-- its definatley food for thought. I appreciate people being willing to work with me...

Guest what?

well, u have to consider the field you are working in. i've always had a split personality in terms of my work. i went through the whole video art period and now realize that to get paid for doing something which you like doesn't me you just do what you want. if it is your job and your life then i think there has to be a line drawn between personal work which can look however you want and professional work, which is pretty much dictated by the current trends. your can be as arty as you want but you have to understand that people probably wont be interested in something with intergrity if they are trying to brand a channel or sell a product.

if you want your work to be evaluated as art then we would have to take into consideration a totally different way of thinking. but if it's meant to be motion graphics then, yes, i think it does have to be 'hip'.

and plus, great design will always be great design, whether it's from the 80's, 90's or 30's. just because i say your work isn't 'hip' enough doesn't mean you need to have some 3d ribbons and extruded pictures on your reelbut your work reminds me of what looked cliched and amateur in the 80's, but that doesn't mean that all work from the 80's looks the same.

(p.s. sorry about the wedding video jibe!)

Guest dun_d3viant

Hey Jeff:

Just had a really long talk with Gladman today. He pretty much made the same points. But you are right, people like you and I are more Directors, Producer types... but to pay the bills we have to emulate all of these flashy trendy non sense. It feels like selling out really, because that is precisely what it is.

However, as I spoke with Gladman about these things, he made me realize you can take all those things that irk you, make you mad, etc... turn it into fuel for the corporate / shiny / flashy / hip look that everyone and their Mom wants to see.

You and I, being fresh outta art school were afforded the opportunity to develop ourselves as artists, that is for certain.

Now, we just have to buckle down and develop ourselves as commodities, players, etc.

I am already deviously devising plans on how to reinvent my style, for I currently don't have one. I just have a bunch of experiments / exercises more or less.

I am going to give it that same passion, and blow some people's minds. :) :) ... just need some time to do it.

Motion Graphics is and never was a mystery to me, it was just something I wanted to avoid until I absolutely HAD to do it and ONLY it.. you know what i mean?

Anywhoz, still gotta come over and see yall. I was thinking next week. I talked to JR about it. Lemme know bro!

DuN

Guest what?

i think there is a fine line between being artistic and bad craftsmanship. and i think you are blurring the two. just because you have something to say and have artistic intentions doesn't mean you can just ignore how it looks and your audience.

and also, if you are an amazing artist you should be able to do your own style and not have to copy or compromise, as your style will be good enough. but it's just not, so i think you should copy and learn from the masters, which does mean copying the "shiny / flashy / hip look" because you are not good enough to go it alone (yet). the reason this style is seen everywhere is because it works and it's good.

And to be "hip" doesn't mean to be corporate. If you look in the reels section of this site you'll see the work that is respected the most is absolutely amazing, I don't think you could call MK12, Shynola, Psyop, Nexus, etc corporate. They are TRUE artists.

But alas, i think you are destined to end up in the world of corporate videos, if your lucky. And if your reel is anything like this one dun_d3viant then i can see why you "wanted to avoid (motion graphics) until I absolutely HAD to do it". And thank the lord for that!

Guest GL

What?, you need to relax and not be so ruthless. The reason why

people post their reels here is to get contstructive criticism, not to

be ridiculed and insulted by people like you.

Guest nama rupa

I agree with GL. What?, I agree with the root of what you are saying but you could of stated it in not such an aggressive and rude way.

Guest dun_d3viant

Yea, frankly I don't enjoy being attacked by you What? and Scorch. But, whatever.

You guys have your opinions, and I have mine.

You are basically telling me I am a failure, and will never make it. You are also telling me I never had talent. You are also telling me I am not an artist.

This is unbelievable coming from the hands of "professionals" like yourselves.

I think you should check your selves.

DuN

Guest dun_d3viant

This is from Firemind:

This forum is for showing and discussing work in progress. Please keep this in mind:

1) Don't post work in progress if you can't handle criticism. ( I met my end of the bargain on this one)

2) Be fair and constructive when critiqueing people's work. Bashing will not be tolerated. (What? and Scorch bashed me and Jeff) ... thanks.

DuN

Guest what?

now hang on, i wasn't rude in the begining. i gave PrsROSE constructive critisism and he replied with "good points".

the point where it started to get bitchy was when dun_d3vian started saying things like "flashy trendy non sense", "it feels like selling out really, because that is precisely what it is", "corporate / shiny / flashy / hip look that everyone and their Mom wants to see", we "were afforded the opportunity to develop ourselves as artists", "Motion Graphics is and never was a mystery to me, it was just something I wanted to avoid until I absolutely HAD to do it and ONLY it". are you telling me that these comments that dun_d3vian made were not at all derogatory towards motion graphics. I replied in the same tone that he gave these comments. i suggest that if you want a non bitchy reply you don't start slagging off the job of the people you want the information from, always a handy tip. I bet your one of those people that complain in restaurants and then eat your food blissfully unaware of the amount of spit and urine you're ingesting.

Guest nama rupa

The difference I see is dun_d3viant was just bitching in general but it wasnt directed at a specific person, while the comments you made what? were pointed at a specific someone.

As a designer/animator there is no reason to take dun_d3viant's comments so personally. I didnt agree with what he had to say either but I didnt get pissed. Personally, thus my opinion, I thought his comments sounded naive, but more than that someone who was really frustrated. There is no wrong in venting, especially since he wasnt attacking anyone. I guess my point is what? you dont need to take this so personally.

All you peeps need to chill and play nice.

just my 2 cents. :D

Guest what?

i didn't take it that personally. it was all a bit of a laugh for me. i wasn't attacking anyone, just pointing out a few things. i found dun_d3viant very condescending, and i dont think you can say his comments weren't directed at me and scorch, even if they were on a broad subject. i was only responding to dun_d3viant, my comments to PrsROSE before he got involved were perfectly acceptable.

but anyway, lets end it here, it was all a bit of fun but some people are taking my comments to heart (so i apologise for that). that's the only problem with forums is you can't hear the tone of my voice. I spose i could write (sarcastic) at the end. (sarcastic)

Guest nama rupa
:lol: fair enough. And I agree in this format things can get misunderstood especially if we dont know each other well.

Guest dun_d3viant

"Motion Graphics" ... i wasn't dogging/dissing/making fun of Motion Graphics, I was making fun of "Motion Graphics" which I felt you labelled into one thing and one thing only. I am a Motion Graphics Artist, whether you care to acknowledge that is your own opinion. You don't feel my style fits in with the current trends. Period. That is why you don't consider me as even an artist for that matter.

I suggest you take a look at my traditional artwork. Perhaps then you can assess whether I am an artist or not. You can't take that away from me. What you can take away from me, in your own mind, is that I am not a Motion Graphics artist.

This is all very relative, and as a professional, you should know that. You feel my opinions are very condescending because you are defending a trend that will come and go.

Anyway, I am over this whole thread as well.

It's been fun. I have learned a lot. I feel like I know you guys a lot more.

Over and Out,

DuN

Guest what?

it was never just about style, it was about technical ability too.

and i never disputed whether you were an artist or not. everybody can be an artist, whether they are recognized as good or not is up to the zeitgeist.

plus i haven't even seen you reel. what i was disputing were your comments.

and you're right, trends do come and go, that is because people are pushing the boundaries all the time, but all i was pointing out was that PrsROSE's work reminded of work from the 80's.

you seem to delight in the fact that your work is different from the current trends therefore it must be good, but what you do not realize is the current trend is like evolution, it is a current trend because people have built upon old current trends to get to the point we are at now. if you can take it further then great, but ignoring the progress in ideas and styles of the past 20 years isn't something to be proud of.

xxx (sarcastic)

Guest parallax

Don't forget that content = king, and the reason why so much top shops are using a certain style is not to cover that up, but to use it effectively to tell the story. Add to that the fact that agencies provide you with a brief, and there's also bound to be a branding strategy available.

I do agree that there's much copying and trendwhoring going on, but there's not much you're going to do about it. Thats the nature of an art (related) field. Action and reaction, just open up a random art history book.

You don't HAVE to use a page peel, but you can sure wonder why you should (or shouldn't).

Guest pablokorona

i was not impressed by this reel. Nothing i havn't seen, and somethings were just poorly done.

best of luck.