Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chinaski

The Teapot Challenge!

Guest Chinaski

I mentioned this at the end of this thread:

http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=7304

Thought I'd start it as a new thread, rather than continue with the Crabby vs. Carnicieria thread.

Okay, so, the idea is that anyone who wants can take a crack at texturing this teapot (see links below). Texture it however you want, and we'll have a vote and see who takes the cake. I'd say we should look at originality, creativity, realism (if that is the intention of the shader), and render time to judge. Also, I think there should be bonus points if a texture is purely procedural.

I've created UV maps for the base and teapot and teapot top. If you want or need to adjust the seams, go ahead. There is also a high rez texture file with a UV map overlayed that you can use to help you place your textures correctly.

It would be really cool if we could share these textures with the mograph community for general use and also decode how they're done as an educational tool. Just make sure not to use copywritten images or images that cannot be distributed for commercial use.

The file is C4D, but I can convert it to other formats if people on other platforms want to take part.

Here are a couple pictures of the teapot model:

teapot_grey_01.jpg

teapot_grey_02.jpg

With some basic shaders on it:

teapot_chrome_01.jpg

teapot_brushed_metal_01.jpg

teapot_old_bone_01.jpg

And with a checker pattern to show the flow of the UVs:

teapot_checker_01.jpg

The Cinema 4D file...

Texture map reference for top of teapot...

Texture map reference for bottom of teapot...

How about a deadline of Monday the 17th at 9am Los Angeles time?

Good luck!

Guest Chinaski

Maya, please?

Okay, give this a shot. I'm not sure if the hypernurbs converted to obj format correctly. Since I don't have Maya, you'll have to tell me if it worked or not.

OBJ file format

Edited by Chinaski

Guest the_Monkey

that file did not make maya happy.

I was able to open it in C4D & Modo.

Here's another OBJ version. I stripped it down to just the teapot mesh and removed the HyperNurbs object so that you can do subdivisions natively in your 3D program of choice.

-m

Guest Chinaski

Deadline? =D

I might jump in...

How about 1 week from today? That should give everyone who want a chance to get something done without a huge rush. I know that's the soonest I could get an entry in. Of course, I'm hoping that people will post their entries as soon as they're done.

Monkey, thanks for doing that. I was wondering if the hypernurbs would freak out Maya. I guess it did :(

Guest sketchbook

not to be the negative one, but

i think i might be missing the point somewhat. if you have the object all UV'd out, that takes away half of the challenge.

can't we do something that has no UV's? Uv mapping is an esential skill in texturing no?

Guest Marconius

Yeah, this should be a clean model with no pre-made UVs. You have to unwrap it yourself and texture it.

I'm probably going to brush off my mental ray skills and go for some Image Based lighting...

Guest Chinaski

not to be the negative one, but

i think i might be missing the point somewhat. if you have the object all UV'd out, that takes away half of the challenge.

can't we do something that has no UV's? Uv mapping is an esential skill in texturing no?

Well, I think the idea was to not penalize people who don't own Bodypaint, so even Cinema 4D beginners can take part in this. Without bodypaint, it is almost impossible to UV map an object. Also, the learning curve on learning UV mapping is probably too steep for a lot of beginners to overcome in a week. So, I thought I would try to level the playing field. But, I'm definitely open to other ideas. Do you want to provide a different model?

Or, I can just delete the UV map from this and everyone can start from scratch (except me, of course :P )

Edited by Chinaski

Guest crabbey1

I'm probably going to brush off my mental ray skills...

What about your bo staff skills?

Guest sketchbook

Well, I think the idea was to not penalize people who don't own Bodypaint, so even Cinema 4D beginners can take part in this. Without bodypaint, it is almost impossible to UV map an object. Also, the learning curve on learning UV mapping is probably too steep for a lot of beginners to overcome in a week. So, I thought I would try to level the playing field. But, I'm definitely open to other ideas. Do you want to provide a different model?

Or, I can just delete the UV map from this and everyone can start from scratch (except me, of course :P )

i see your point. true, bodypaint is a pain to learn. that's maybe the good thing about a challenge in that you almost need to be thrown into the situation or you will never take the time to pick it up.

i guess this is a learning c4d thread right, so that's cool. keep on moving forward.

what do you all think about having one specific camera angle for final renders? i am thinking of the cgtalk fabric challenge. that was one sweet challenge and a great resource. makes judging easier at least, but i don't want to stifle anyone's creativity.

for reference goto:

http://maxon.net

click on downloads

click on materials/goodies

who's going to do the hairy teapot?

Guest Hoover

well...unfortunately, I do not have time to spend on this challenge this week....so i'll throw out my two minute hdri render

i look forward to checking out everyone's submission

bluepot.jpg

Guest Chinaski

i see your point. true, bodypaint is a pain to learn. that's maybe the good thing about a challenge in that you almost need to be thrown into the situation or you will never take the time to pick it up.

i guess this is a learning c4d thread right, so that's cool. keep on moving forward.

what do you all think about having one specific camera angle for final renders? i am thinking of the cgtalk fabric challenge. that was one sweet challenge and a great resource. makes judging easier at least, but i don't want to stifle anyone's creativity.

for reference goto:

http://maxon.net

click on downloads

click on materials/goodies

who's going to do the hairy teapot?

I think having a consistent camera angle and consistent lighting whould actually help quite a bit. I, unfortunately, don't know if I'll have time to set that up before everybody begins... Maybe someone can volunteer to set that up? If not, no biggie, right?

Hmmm... I might have time to set up a scene. Let me see what I can do Wednesday night. IT shouldn't be a big deal. If you have a good material, it should look good from any set-up. If it only looks good from one angle with one specific lighting setup, you haven't really accomplished the goal, right? So, people who are working, keep on working, and we'll get a setup that everyone can use to do final evaluations.

And three5, you're disqualified! :huh: I kid! I kid! :P:P:P

Hoover, I thought yours looked pretty cool. I'd like to discourage the use of HDRI as much as possible, because that can pretty much make anything look good, right? Well, if we are using HDRI, I think we should all use the same map, right? So we are all using the same standards to judge by. I'll see if I can get an environment map together by the end of the week for everyone.

Guest three5

ill have to bust out a serious attempt if i have some time. that was a *very quick* homage to the guy selling the teapot on ebay that didnt think about the reflection he might cast were he to take the picture while fat and nude.

390825_0717039681_m.jpg

Edited by three5

Guest Chinaski

im in! can I use the normal teapot from max then? I dont like this cinema one :(

Sure! Use the max teapot. This one is based off of the max teapot. I know you said you don't like this one, but they are almost identical. I just built this one with the handle and spout properly attached, rather than individual objects. And the lid fits properly, too, on this one.

three5, there are actually a lot of pictures on ebay like that!

Guest the_Monkey

It was my understanding that this thread was to kinda keep the ball moving after being so inspired by the Shoe-Off, no?

If so, here is my opinion...

It is inevitable that we will see at least 50% HDR reflective renders... and that's what *real* teapots look like and that's cool if that's where you're at, but I personally would prefer to see some character in this event. I say there will be plenty of time for rules in the future. Why not just freeform a little and show us "how do you see this teapot?"

If this were a contest for money/cars/women I could see why we'd need all the regulations to create a fair environment, but as it is... if you win you get nothing... which I think is fucking great, cause it means people are doing it for the right reasons... to play.

So everybody got a teapot...

Why not just play?

If the point is to share files/experience at the end of this... then I think that would be the most fruitful direction.

-m

Guest Chinaski

It was my understanding that this thread was to kinda keep the ball moving after being so inspired by the Shoe-Off, no?

If so, here is my opinion...

It is inevitable that we will see at least 50% HDR reflective renders... and that's what *real* teapots look like and that's cool if that's where you're at, but I personally would prefer to see some character in this event. I say there will be plenty of time for rules in the future. Why not just freeform a little and show us "how do you see this teapot?"

If this were a contest for money/cars/women I could see why we'd need all the regulations to create a fair environment, but as it is... if you win you get nothing... which I think is fucking great, cause it means people are doing it for the right reasons... to play.

So everybody got a teapot...

Why not just play?

If the point is to share files/experience at the end of this... then I think that would be the most fruitful direction.

-m

Sounds good, Monkey! This is for fun, anyway, so f**k the rules. Just have fun and share how you did what you did. Sound good for everybody?

By the way, I wasn't expecting everybody to have a shiny "teapot" texture. In fact, I'll be pretty disappointed if that's what it turns into.

Guest tim_irus

Sure! Use the max teapot. This one is based off of the max teapot. I know you said you don't like this one, but they are almost identical. I just built this one with the handle and spout properly attached, rather than individual objects. And the lid fits properly, too, on this one.

three5, there are actually a lot of pictures on ebay like that!

I was kidding about the not liking part. think im gonna attach the handle and spout then to. or could you otherwise post a .fbx file they always seem to work pretty good