Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chinaski

The Teapot Challenge!

Guest sketchbook

It was my understanding that this thread was to kinda keep the ball moving after being so inspired by the Shoe-Off, no?

If so, here is my opinion...

It is inevitable that we will see at least 50% HDR reflective renders... and that's what *real* teapots look like and that's cool if that's where you're at, but I personally would prefer to see some character in this event. I say there will be plenty of time for rules in the future. Why not just freeform a little and show us "how do you see this teapot?"

If this were a contest for money/cars/women I could see why we'd need all the regulations to create a fair environment, but as it is... if you win you get nothing... which I think is fucking great, cause it means people are doing it for the right reasons... to play.

So everybody got a teapot...

Why not just play?

If the point is to share files/experience at the end of this... then I think that would be the most fruitful direction.

-m

i can understand your point but -

all depends on what people are wanting to do with the challenge.

my understanding is that most people in this forum are fairly new at c4d (or some other 3d app), and they want some challenges to help them improve their skills.

sounds like you are wanting a no-holds-barred art contest using a teapot. kind of like Iron Chef with mystery ingredient: teapot? if so have at it, but i don't think that was the intention.

do we have to set a camera angle? no, but it would make people lean more on texturing and less on the environment. be creative with your texturing. make the pot into a fuzzy animal. you want skin showing on the pot, then texture skin onto it. use a displacement or normal map and turn the pot into something else.

enough of these blasted environmental images. that's not texuring. that's reflecting.

my 2 cents.

Guest sketchbook

whatever the challenge is about, that's fun to look at. you use storm tracer or something?

Guest P90

whatever the challenge is about, that's fun to look at. you use storm tracer or something?

I used Xpresso and Particles, I couldve done it with the basic emitter but I wanted a little more control, and this way its actually dissolving the teapot . And yeah for smoke I used pyrocluster

Edited by P90

Guest the_Monkey

sounds like you are wanting a no-holds-barred art contest using a teapot.

Then you didn't read my post.

It was about sharing ideas, not winning competitions.

Most people have enough deadlines and restrictions with work.

I thought fewer rules would be a way to get *MORE* involvement among beginner users... especially at first.

If you did read my post I find your perspective of "play" to be remarkably rigid.

-m

Guest tim_irus

theres mine. mental ray and 3d max 8.

maybe a bit to much on the glare. but hey its the new lens flare so more is better B)

teapot.jpg

Guest Hoover

as i said...i don't have the time to do it justice and that's why i just threw out the hdri example....obviously it didn't take any time to texture...hence the "two minute hdri render name"

so I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't advocating for the reflection over texture approach, nor do i think it is even in the same class

i actually agree with your comments...i think the goal should be to play, share, and learn with each other....

so really...it should be anything goes....the goal is to see who can come up with the coolest stuff...and then share techniques with everybody else.

i like that texture tim

Guest sketchbook

Then you didn't read my post.

It was about sharing ideas, not winning competitions.

Most people have enough deadlines and restrictions with work.

I thought fewer rules would be a way to get *MORE* involvement among beginner users... especially at first.

If you did read my post I find your perspective of "play" to be remarkably rigid.

-m

yeah, i am the rigid challenge natzi.

Guest crabbey1

yeah, i am the rigid challenge natzi.

Woah, you guys are getting crazy with this whole thing... Just make something that looks cool and then share how you did it... Pretty simple...

Guest Chinaski

Woah, you guys are getting crazy with this whole thing... Just make something that looks cool and then share how you did it... Pretty simple...

Do I get the final say on this?

Let's go the less restrictive route. I definitely understand where sketchbook is comnig from, and at first I wanted a lot of rules, but I think since this is for fun and there is no prize, let's keep it less restrictive. The next competition can have some more guidelines, and I hope that Sketchbook comes up with the concept and manages the competition. :)

Guest sketchbook

and I hope that Sketchbook comes up with the concept and manages the competition. :)

crap. now i went and did it.

Guest BillD222

here is my shot at it

Nice Work! What 3d app did you use and what renderer?

I think it would be nice if everyone posted their apps, renderer, and other details.

Guest ChrisC

Cheers for setting this up, nice idea. This is just a quickie first attempt just for fun - cos even the devil likes a nice cuppa ;-)

potty1.jpg

Renderer is Cinema4D, all procedural, time was around 3mins @ 800x600 on a dual 2.7GHz G5, with a quick sharpen in post. All procedural, buya and voroni for the 'beaten' look.

Seeyou later for more! Chris

I think it would be nice if everyone posted their apps, renderer, and other details.

Guest tim_irus

theres mine. mental ray and 3d max 8.

maybe a bit to much on the glare. but hey its the new lens flare so more is better B)

teapot.jpg

and for the techniques that I used.

used the mental ray renderer with a glare lens shader.

the lights are 3 planes (that dont show up in the render but do in the reflection) with a glow material, and I turned on final gathering so the would realy give light

the teapot itself is a mental ray metal phong lume material in combination with a texture of some scratches and a texture of red paint masking each other to create more speculair/reflection where the scratches are. also used falloff maps for nicer reflections and blurring of reflections.

sometimes I also use these words in bed to my girlfriend... thats makes me feel smarter then her B)

Edited by tim_irus

Guest noneone1156

Sorry about that, well I used 3ds max 8 sp1, and Vray renderer, I created a matalic material using multi layers and added a bitmap created in photoshop.

Render time was close to 5-6 seconds

Guest bne meyrs

sometimes I also use these words in bed to my girlfriend... thats makes me feel smarter then her B)

WHO DOES THAT!?!?!?! you discust me.... ;)

Guest P90

A disgruntled teapot finds itself being transported

http://teapotdissappppp.ytmnd.com/

HQ

www.telliee.com/var/www/html/evoke/tp.html

I know this has almost nothing to do with what is at hand , but I felt like showing it. I will play around with texturing this thing tomorow, probably gonna make it a car with lots of adds.

Guest sketchbook

A disgruntled teapot finds itself being transported

http://teapotdissappppp.ytmnd.com/

HQ

www.telliee.com/var/www/html/evoke/tp.html

I know this has almost nothing to do with what is at hand , but I felt like showing it. I will play around with texturing this thing tomorow, probably gonna make it a car with lots of adds.

that was pleasantly odd. thanks for taking part

Guest Andraz

teapot.jpg

my 3 hour of work attepmt.

Heaps of procedural (noise, some rust, some stuff on alpha..), mostly hand painted textures (on the teapot), render time 15 minutes at 1600*1000, Cinema.

Guest P90

teapot.jpg

my 3 hour of work attepmt.

Heaps of procedural (noise, some rust, some stuff on alpha..), mostly hand painted textures (on the teapot), render time 15 minutes at 1600*1000, Cinema.

That looks good except the floor is a bit blurry

Guest three5

ok i took this an an excuse to play with fur in maya, which i had not done before. i nearly gave up, until i figured out that you have to bake the imagemaps to your fur colors. also, i ran across an awesome pink leopard fur texture that i just couldnt pass because it just screamed "teapot!", or was that "teabag?" i dunno.

fuzzyteapot8pl.jpg

edit: I cranked down the saturation and changed some of the reflective properties and the color of the "floor".

done in maya, rendered in mental ray (with all the goodies turned on it took about 2 hours to render) on a g5 dual 2.7

Edited by three5

Guest tim_irus

ok i took this an an excuse to play with fur in maya, which i had not done before. i nearly gave up, until i figured out that you have to bake the imagemaps to your colors. also, i ran across an awesome pink leopard fur texture that i just couldnt pass because it just screamed "teapot!", or was that "teabag?" i dunno.

fuzzyteapot0uq.jpg

you put the P in Pimping my man! :P