Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chinaski

The Teapot Challenge!

Guest sketchbook

Hey umm, arent you supposed to make the materials yourself? :H

hey that's legalizm!!!

:D

Guest noneone1156

Hey sketchbook are you going to start another competition ? would :H to see more competitions like this.

Guest Chinaski

Work in Progress: Herpes Shader!

teapot_herpes_01.jpg

There's a lot going on in the texture. Lots of layers of noise, mixed together with fusion - you can see it in the color and bump channel, how the veins line up in both channels. A fresnel shader in the luminance channel, and a dull red in the luminance channel, mixed in, as well. Displacement for the blisters (hand painted), and hand painted darkening and reddening where the spout and lid meet the teapot. There's also a reflection map of just the blisters, set to a small percentage to give them a kind of wet look while everything else stays dull-looking.

Render time: 45 seconds.

Edited by Chinaski

Guest sketchbook

Work in Progress: Herpes Shader!

teapot_herpes_01.jpg

There's a lot going on in the texture. Lots of layers of noise, mixed together with fusion - you can see it in the color and bump channel, how the veins line up in both channels. A fresnel shader in the luminance channel, and a dull red in the luminance channel, mixed in, as well. Displacement for the blisters (hand painted), and hand painted darkening and reddening where the spout and lid meet the teapot. There's also a reflection map of just the blisters, set to a small percentage to give them a kind of wet look while everything else stays dull-looking.

Render time: 45 seconds.

lol. that's great. (gotta love the wrinkles around the spout). so gross.

another challenge? what do people want to try? maybe lighting?

Edited by sketchbook

Guest govinda

Heaps of procedural (noise, some rust, some stuff on alpha..), mostly hand painted textures (on the teapot), render time 15 minutes at 1600*1000, Cinema.

Hee hee, I see 'Portugal017' on that wall. I've recolored and used that a lot recently. Okay, go on as you were before this texture geek interruption.

Guest Chinaski

Just a reminder - the deadline is 9am Monday, Los Angeles time.

I hope to see some great stuff this weekend!

Guest sketchbook

Just a reminder - the deadline is 9am Monday, Los Angeles time.

I hope to see some great stuff this weekend!

my vote is for "Chinaski"

Guest Chinaski

Well, I was going to try to add a poll to this thread for voting, but with the sheer volume of votes so far I don't think that will be necessary. ;)

I guess we should give it another day or two before closing the voting process...

Guest Crypty

Chinaski

The herpes shader is sick. If I had that I would apply it to EVERYTHING. Maybe you can add some pus?

Guest Chinaski

Chinaski

The herpes shader is sick. If I had that I would apply it to EVERYTHING. Maybe you can add some pus?

I'll send you the file. I expect you to make good on that statement.

Guest sketchbook

cool. way to go Chinaski! you are the grand master.

i'd like the file too, and maybe some others, so maybe you can post it?

Guest Chinaski

cool. way to go Chinaski! you are the grand master.

i'd like the file too, and maybe some others, so maybe you can post it?

Yes, I will give you all herpes!

Uh... you know what I mean... :unsure:

Guest ChrisC

Curses - where did the weekend go...?

Mind you, if I'd had all week I don't think I could have bettered the diseased skin teapot - congrats Chinaski, very nice work!

B)

C

Guest the_Monkey

Blast!

I did not get as much time as I would have liked either, but I did get a chance to noodle a little. For what it's worth here's what I did:

MonkeyTeapots.jpg

Animation

The one on the left one uses a Luminance, Environment, & Normal channels with no lights. Textures with no lights has been kind of a side challenge for me. I've been trying to volumetrically mix 3D gradients to get richer blends (which don't show up in additive light). I threw a fresnel in the Normal Channel to bend a couple of bands backwards to give it a more illustrated look by forcing contrasting edges. I usually mix what you see here with baked illumination (not completed) to get something halfway between sketch and toon and a full out render. I'm not entirely sure this path has much advantage, but I like how the colors move with the motion of the camera.

The one on the right started when i noticed that the xpresso input for the Tile Node was an integer sequence from 2000->2027. It contains an extremely simple Xpresso node that connects the Bump and Alpha channel tiles to a user data field on it's parent. Also incomplete and rather simple, but it may be helpful for someone who has never used expresso before (or for some reason needed a preview of all possible default tiles).

Great job on the Herpes shader, Chinaski... that's some A+ texturing.

It looks disgusting (especially the skin folds... those are revolting).

-m

Guest Chinaski

Blast!

I did not get as much time as I would have liked either, but I did get a chance to noodle a little. For what it's worth here's what I did:

MonkeyTeapots.jpg

Animation

The one on the left one uses a Luminance, Environment, & Normal channels with no lights. Textures with no lights has been kind of a side challenge for me. I've been trying to volumetrically mix 3D gradients to get richer blends (which don't show up in additive light). I threw a fresnel in the Normal Channel to bend a couple of bands backwards to give it a more illustrated look by forcing contrasting edges. I usually mix what you see here with baked illumination (not completed) to get something halfway between sketch and toon and a full out render. I'm not entirely sure this path has much advantage, but I like how the colors move with the motion of the camera.

The one on the right started when i noticed that the xpresso input for the Tile Node was an integer sequence from 2000->2027. It contains an extremely simple Xpresso node that connects the Bump and Alpha channel tiles to a user data field on it's parent. Also incomplete and rather simple, but it may be helpful for someone who has never used expresso before (or for some reason needed a preview of all possible default tiles).

Great job on the Herpes shader, Chinaski... that's some A+ texturing.

It looks disgusting (especially the skin folds... those are revolting).

-m

Monkey,

Those were cool! You should post some more experiments. I hadn't really thought of using Xpresso with texture channels before.

I'm posting my file below. I do have one question, and it is something that has been bugging me with C4D texture creation... Does anyone know if you can instance texture channels? I know you can copy and paste them, but instancing is a really nice tool to have for texturing. 3DS Max has it, and I love it! I would really like the texture creation in C4D to have more of a node-based feel to it, so I can wire one channel into other channels in the same texture. It would make things so much easier. So, does anyone know? Can it be done with Xpresso? It seems possible from Monkey's example.

Okay, well, here you go Mograph: Herpes!

Try not to spread it around!

Guest Andraz

Hee hee, I see 'Portugal017' on that wall. I've recolored and used that a lot recently. Okay, go on as you were before this texture geek interruption.

Totaly right. I was trying to say that the texture on the teapot is handpainted. Everything else is a colage of well texture libraries, some mine, some purchased, some of the google....

Guest Chinaski

Yeah, the competition is over, but I've been playing around with HDRI and wanted to post a quick little test.

teapot_brushed_metal_02.jpg

I need to up the samples a bit and increase the AA for depth of field for this to look better. It really is amazing how great HDRI makes 3D look.

Guest scottgfx

Yeah, the competition is over, but I've been playing around with HDRI and wanted to post a quick little test.

teapot_brushed_metal_02.jpg

I need to up the samples a bit and increase the AA for depth of field for this to look better. It really is amazing how great HDRI makes 3D look.

What was your render time on that?

Guest Chinaski

What was your render time on that?

Not too long. Maybe 10 minutes or so. And that's only because I am using blurry reflections. If I didn't use them it would only be about a minute.

Guest BillD222

Not too long. Maybe 10 minutes or so. And that's only because I am using blurry reflections. If I didn't use them it would only be about a minute.

Cinema4D or 3dsmax??