Sign in to follow this  
Guest jslicer

Wow, someone ripped off my site.....literally

Guest govinda
Good to see you reply to me, without your own bit of arguement. Top stuff, moron.

Hee hee, I hardly post in weeks, and lookie here. Intervene, please stay around. The post of village idiot needs candidates for a good runoff.

Well, love, I'd love to bother with an argument with you, but it's a warm day and instead I think I'll water the ficus and direct you upthread to the damning evidence sitting behind the pale wannabe scowl of some ponce who seems to go by the name 'Activator.' If you're not convinced, then please, stick around! We have gravity to debate, the saltiness of the ocean to contend, the ability of honeybees to flap their lacy wings and fly to face off over!

Edit: Fishface nails it with the Parking Lot Sneaker analogy. Woohoo!

Guest govinda

Lest it be forgotten, mograph man of the week award.

activatorballs01.gif

Okay, that's not what speedoman was, but history belongs to the winners.

Guest Beaver

of all the wrong things I've seen on here...

this is the wrongest.

Guest the_Monkey

Oh dear god. :D

Thanks for taking a little extra time out of your busy schedule for that.

The visually literate shall inherit the Earth.

-m

Guest Intervene

I'll put comments below you aside, because they are just rubbish

Ill try and answer to this one:

That is where you are wrong. Have you looked at the two sites in question? It is quite obviously a rip-off. There is no room for debate. It is the very definition of the term. Stolen. Last time I checked, recieving stolen goods is actually a crime.

Yes. I have looked at the other site. Sure they are similiar, but i'm not arguing whether it was stolen or not. I don't know, neither do you know how or if where extranza came up or made the site. And btw, how do we know mn8 is the original guy behind the idea? I'd be quiet sure there's stacks of sites that look the same, but we never know the true author behind them. So this is clearly unknown.

I am going to guess that DJ Activator didn't spend nearly the kind of money that it would take in order to have a site this complex built. In that case, its a bit like buying speakers for a guy selling them out of a van in a parking lot — you have to know that something is up, because it is way too cheap to be legit. Therefore, you become a knowing participant in a crime, and cannot be considered innocent.

That's nonsense.

Here's a better one.

It's the same deal as buying a CD off Ebay, to which you don't know that there is the possibility of it being a pirated copy. Would you be guilty if you were not informed of the origin of the CD?

Other than this one, the posts between this one and the last one i made, are just stupid. And to the photoshoppers of this thread contibute more usefully please. Trying to get a cheap laugh isn't contributing to anything...

Edited by Intervene

Guest three5

i can not, in any ammount of seriousness, belive that our new pal Intervene is defending extranza and / or can not see how the amazing DJ Activation Code might not want to be associated with a) a site that has been blatantly stolen or B) the company that stole it.

im calling shennanigins. or zacid.

Edited by three5

Guest JMSDigital

Lest it be forgotten, mograph man of the week award.

activatorballs01.gif

Okay, that's not what speedoman was, but history belongs to the winners.

LMAO!

Trying to get a cheap laugh isn't contributing to anything...

actually ....lol...that made my day! thanks govinda.

Guest Beaver

Yes. I have looked at the other site. Sure they are similiar, but i'm not arguing whether it was stolen or not. I don't know, neither do you know how or if where extranza came up or made the site. And btw, how do we know mn8 is the original guy behind the idea?

Hey Sherlock, I don't know if you have ties to D.J. Craptivator or if you're just a lurker that decided to get in on this one topic, but you can't come in and question the legitimacy of MN8's work. We don't give a damn about D.J. Masturbator, his site was a ripoff, and his name is listed on the site of the asshats that "created" it. While I think your posts are hilarious, they're also potentially damaging, so please stop.

Guest thomwill

Trying to get a cheap laugh isn't contributing to anything...

obviously you haven't been around this board very long.

;)

Edited by thomwill

Guest JMSDigital

Hey Sherlock, I don't know if you have ties to D.J. Craptivator or if you're just a lurker that decided to get in on this one topic, but you can't come in and question the legitimacy of MN8's work. We don't give a damn about D.J. Masturbator, his site was a ripoff, and his name is listed on the site of the asshats that "created" it. While I think your posts are hilarious, they're also potentially damaging, so please stop.

BOO-YAK-ASHAA!!!

Guest fishface

Yes. I have looked at the other site. Sure they are similiar, but i'm not arguing whether it was stolen or not. I don't know, neither do you know how or if where extranza came up or made the site. And btw, how do we know mn8 is the original guy behind the idea? I'd be quiet sure there's stacks of sites that look the same, but we never know the true author behind them. So this is clearly unknown.

That's nonsense.

Here's a better one.

It's the same deal as buying a CD off Ebay, to which you don't know that there is the possibility of it being a pirated copy. Would you be guilty if you were not informed of the origin of the CD?

Other than this one, the posts between this one and the last one i made, are just stupid. And to the photoshoppers of this thread contibute more usefully please. Trying to get a cheap laugh isn't contributing to anything...

I am pretty sure the mn8 has had that site up for a while — well before dj activator. I believe he has actually won some awards for it, because it is swell. check out the side-by-side, and tell me he did not rip this site off>

http://www.mn8studio.com/rip/websize1.mov]

and...if someone offered to sell you a brand new BMW for $1K, wouldn't you say, "really? what gives? new? not stolen? why so cheap?"

Guest the_Monkey

Yes. I have looked at the other site. Sure they are similiar, but i'm not arguing whether it was stolen or not. I don't know, neither do you...

Intervene... please, allow me to apologize for my fellow board members.

They aren't used to working with people who are "differently-abled".

I, however, do have experience in working with visually challeneged individuals so I think I can help.

InterveneEyeChart.jpg

-m

Guest thomwill

I, however, do have experience in working with visually challeneged individuals so I think I can help.

InterveneEyeChart.jpg

-m

:lol::lol::lol:

Guest Sao_Bento

It happens. I think it's reasonable to think that many many people in the world, possibly including this DJ have never seen the MN8 site before. I'm sure that I'm not familiar with every DJ site in the world, or the specifics of how DJs do business, so I assume the reverse would be true for this guy. It's entirely possible that these web developers took advantage of the guy and sold him a ripped off site. We don't really know what he paid for it, so they might have charged full price and just had a laugh at this guys expense. The only people we know for sure are at fault are the web developers who obviously ripped the site or unethically colluded with someone who instructed them to rip it off.

The mistake is in claiming that this could happen under honest conditions, or coincidentally. The DJ got ripped off, now he's mad. Be mad at the right people - the ones who ripped you off, not the ones who told you the truth. No one's falling for any of the alternate versions.

The only one we know is a victim for sure here is Jake.

Guest atomic22

Intervene-Defending a cheat makes you a cheat. Piss off to a topic that is worthy of debating, like the war in Iraq, or the homeless, or the world economy. Only a copier would defend another piece of copier.

Maybe you made the site and you sold it to the DJ for resale.

Either way nobody who actually made the site legitimately, would immediately take it down once discovered.

Guest Intervene

Intervene-Defending a cheat makes you a cheat. Piss off to a topic that is worthy of debating, like the war in Iraq, or the homeless, or the world economy. Only a copier would defend another piece of copier.

Maybe you made the site and you sold it to the DJ for resale.

Either way nobody who actually made the site legitimately, would immediately take it down once discovered.

Let me look at the relevant sections in this post. Defending a cheat makes me a cheat? There is no cheating involved...

I did not make the site

I never said Extranza is responsible, I never said they weren't, i don't know, just like you.However Dj Activator isn't responsible, get that through your head. And Extranza COULD be responsible as they designed it. But you can't just CLAIM they are, when you have no information at this point. Im defending Activator, and i am standing in the middle of the seesaw for Extranza.

InterveneEyeChart.jpg

-m

Once again, pointless, stupid posts. We are talking about m8n and djactivator.com, that's it.

All these stupid posts are doing nothing. Perhaps you should read atomic22's post regarding to post in other threads such as the war in Iraq.

It happens. I think it's reasonable to think that many many people in the world, possibly including this DJ have never seen the MN8 site before. I'm sure that I'm not familiar with every DJ site in the world, or the specifics of how DJs do business, so I assume the reverse would be true for this guy. It's entirely possible that these web developers took advantage of the guy and sold him a ripped off site. We don't really know what he paid for it, so they might have charged full price and just had a laugh at this guys expense. The only people we know for sure are at fault are the web developers who obviously ripped the site or unethically colluded with someone who instructed them to rip it off.

The mistake is in claiming that this could happen under honest conditions, or coincidentally. The DJ got ripped off, now he's mad. Be mad at the right people - the ones who ripped you off, not the ones who told you the truth. No one's falling for any of the alternate versions.

Thank you, great post totally agree. that's the same reason im saying that Activator- is not responsible, and there's a question mark over Extranza's head.

I am pretty sure the mn8 has had that site up for a while — well before dj activator. I believe he has actually won some awards for it, because it is swell. check out the side-by-side, and tell me he did not rip this site off>

http://www.mn8studio.com/rip/websize1.mov]

and...if someone offered to sell you a brand new BMW for $1K, wouldn't you say, "really? what gives? new? not stolen? why so cheap?"

Fishface, thanks that your actually posting on the topic, as opposed to some others in this thread.

The BMW analogy has got nothing to do with this. Who knows how much Activator paid for the site anyway, and that has nothing to do with it in the first place whether he paid $10, or $10000.

I have seen the video. Like i said before, we go earlier on.

So please all you people who make stupid images, do what you want, but it's not getting anyone anywhere. They aren't even funny.

Edited by Intervene

Guest parallax

You didn't see the site when it was online. It is a carbon copy, from the layout to the transition, almost down to the pixel.

Maybe DJ Activator isn't at fault, i can believe that, but extranza very much is. They obviously used a flash decompiler, if you don't acknowledge that, than i very much doubt yoru knowledge of content creation, i wonder what you are doing on this board in the 1st place.

Extranza, or whatever/whoever plagiarized MN8's site, and maybe even charged top-dollar for it. The guy lives 20 minutes away from me. Maybe i should file a complaint on behalf of MN8 and myself, for conducting unfair business practices.

Guest fishface

true. I am guilty of assuming this guy didn't pay full price for the site (and a number of typos. Sometimes my posts look like English is my second language, which couldn't be further from the truth :( ). I assume this because he is a DJ, and the going rate for a site like this would be prohibitive — more than most would spend, unless you did much of the work yourself. So...it is speculation that I say he had an idea that all of this work was not on the 'up and up', or he had not priced out anything at all before he commisioned this site.

But..how can anyone with reasonable intelligence claim that this site has not been ripped off? It was taken from an excellent designer. Plain and simple. Look at MN8's work and compare it to the people that just had to pull their ripped version of the site. That alone will tell you who created the original. Just let it go — you, or your friend got screwed. Either you/he knew of the intellectual heist or not, but either way you/he ended up looking bad. Now you are upset. You should be. Try making something new and add to the world instead of being upset because you got caught taking from others.

Designers make their money from design. We all get upset about people taking that work and calling it their own. To break it down — you are messing with everyone on this board, not just jslicer/jake sargeant/mn8 (although him most directly in this case) — and no one here wants to see whoever is responsible profit from that.

if Activator was duped, take it up with those who screwed him. Why debate it was a copy? It's obvious. If he knew, then why not just shut the hell up and make a new site? Maybe a blog. You can all discuss how juvenile we are that we got pissed that you stole from our fellow designer.

instead of wasting your time here, drop your friend a note to get his cash back and get a new site from a reputable company. Its not like his reputation can be saved around here. There is nothing to debate. Just come correct next time, and we will leave you alone.

and...if you take the time to go to to http://struckdesign.com/, you will see that the mn8 site is listed as of june 2005. When did your DJ friend go live with his site?

that is all.

Guest Intervene

You didn't see the site when it was online. It is a carbon copy, from the layout to the transition, almost down to the pixel.

Maybe DJ Activator isn't at fault, i can believe that, but extranza very much is. They obviously used a flash decompiler, if you don't acknowledge that, than i very much doubt yoru knowledge of content creation, i wonder what you are doing on this board in the 1st place.

Extranza, or whatever/whoever plagiarized MN8's site, and maybe even charged top-dollar for it. The guy lives 20 minutes away from me. Maybe i should file a complaint on behalf of MN8 and myself, for conducting unfair business practices.

I've been to Dj Activators site, yes. he isn't at fault is what im trying to get at.

i give you $200, to make me a site on my hobbies, and use the same looking or similar template that m8n uses. does that make me responsible, because i was the one who paid you to make the site for me? of course not.

As i said, there is the possiblity that extranza used a flash decompiler or whatever to get the m8n site content, but you can't say that they did, even if it looks pretty much the same.

If you want, i can go do some googling to find some similar looking websites if you like?

Edited by Intervene

Guest fletty

interesting post.

intervene: what has got you so hot under the collar about this topic? has something like this happened to you before? and what is your background, web designer or mographer?

it seems to me you feel very strongly about this... it would be good to find out why.

and interesting stuff from whois.net...

Domain name: DJACTIVATOR.COM

Created on: 2004-05-13

Updated on: 2005-05-19

Expires on: 2006-05-13

Registrant Name: EDINET SRL PUBLISHING GROUP AND RECORD COMPANY

Registrant Address: via Verdi, 4

Registrant City: Cittadella

Registrant Postal Code: 35013

Registrant Country: IT

Administrative Contact Organization: Carmelo Carlana

Administrative Contact Name: Carmelo Carlana

Administrative Contact Address: via Verdi, 4

Administrative Contact City: Cittadella

Administrative Contact Postal Code: 35013

Administrative Contact Country: IT

Administrative Contact Email: master@trivenet.it

Administrative Contact Tel: +39 049 9400248

Administrative Contact Fax: +39 049 9400536

Technical Contact Organization: Technical Support

Technical Contact Name: Technical Support

Technical Contact Address: Via A Ponti, 6

Technical Contact City: Bergamo

Technical Contact Postal Code: 24126

Technical Contact Country: IT

Technical Contact Email: support@register.it

Technical Contact Phone: +39 035 3230400

Technical Contact Fax: +39 035 3230312

Primary Name Server Hostname: DNS2.TRIVENET.IT

Secondary Name Server Hostname: DNS3.TRIVENET.IT

Domain name: mn8studio.com

Administrative Contact:

Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.

Whois Agent (frvmfwgpy@whoisprivacyprotect.com)

+1.4252740657

Fax: +1.4256960234

PMB 368, 14150 NE 20th St - F1

C/O mn8studio.com

Bellevue, WA 98007

US

Technical Contact:

+1.4252740657

C/O mn8studio.com

Bellevue, WA 98007

US

Registrant Contact:

+1.4252740657

C/O mn8studio.com

Bellevue, WA 98007

US

Name Servers:

a.dns.hostway.net

b.dns.hostway.net

Creation date: 07 May 2004 15:38:56

Expiration date: 07 May 2006 15:38:56

so then mn8s site was created before the activator one... hmmmm

Guest parallax

1) I wont get out of bed for $200 designing a website. you crazy?

2) I sincerely hope you don't think MN8's site is a template.

3) Like i, and others already said (but hey, time slows down in Australia/Hengelo wherever you're from), Extranza is without a reasonable doubt, responsible. If a client asks you to use a similar look, NAY, copy (because using a decompiler is the only way to get it done) you simply are supposed to say: "Sorry, can't do that."

I got a 1000 bucks on you not being able to come up with a site as similar as this one.

btw, i like the 'Intervene' nickname.

So it's clear who we're dealing with. (or what agenda?!)

Guest fishface

I've been to Dj Activators site, yes. he isn't at fault is what im trying to get at.

i give you $200, to make me a site on my hobbies, and use the same looking or similar template that m8n uses. does that make me responsible, because i was the one who paid you to make the site for me? of course not.

As i said, there is the possiblity that extranza used a flash decompiler or whatever to get the m8n site content, but you can't say that they did, even if it looks pretty much the same.

If you want, i can go do some googling to find some similar looking websites if you like?

This is not anywhere near a $200 site.

There is a difference from 'similar' and 'inspired by', and a direct rip. And the point is, there are NO TEMPLATES LIKE the MN8 site. That's how we all know it is stolen. Its not a template that comes with Dreamweaver. Its a time consuming Flash original, and Activator's site is a direct copy. That=stolen

property. Thats why we are upset and make jokes at your friends expense.

If he was screwed, then I hold nothing against him. But there is nothing to debate over whether the site was stolen or not. Just have him get a new site from a 'template' and be done with it.