Sign in to follow this  
Guest dun_d3viant

www.shawndunbar.com

Guest dun_d3viant

Greetings:

Just curious to get people's reactions of my Motion Gf/x reel. Take a peak at the sound reel if you like.

www.shawndunbar.com

Also, don't download the LARGE reel unless you are up for a wait. Although the quality is near DVD, so it may be worth it to you. (160 mb)

The medium is fine to get the idea. (13 MB)

That is all.

Over and out,

DuN

Guest dun_d3viant

hahah,

I wouldn't either. I see that you are from the UK. I will be graduating from college in about 4 weeks, and I may be looking for a job in London. However, how likely is a broadcast design / motion graphics studio to hire someone from the States right after they have just got out of college?

If you have any knowledge of this, please let me know.

I just want to know if I would be wasting my time trying to apply overseas.

Thanks,

Shawn Dunbar

Guest Scorch
how likely is a broadcast design / motion graphics studio to hire someone from the States right after they have just got out of college?

You'll need to seriously up your game if you want a job in London. Some of the best studios are based there, and believe me, your reel wouldn't get very far as it is. Try learning something about design, motion graphics, if that's the area you are looking at. Your reel demonstrates your lack of commercial experience or...well...design experience really.

I believe in telling it like it is, before someone that really matters does.

Guest dun_d3viant

Could you be a little more specific about my "lack of design"...

I totally agree with my lack of commercial experience.

But I disagree with your lack of design analysis.

You also failed to bring any examples of that.

So your tell it like it is attitude is nothing more than an adolescent pout at this point. (<-- that's telling it like it is)

Please provide more info... also known as feedback.

Thanks,

DuN

Guest André Leroux

The overall sense I get from looking at the reel Dun, is its boldness.

I mean, most of what we see is big. Large scale graphics, type.......

Its got a hard sell look to it. Take a closer look at refining all of these elements.

I guess this is what Scorch is referring to.

Other than that, I like the intro, the music & the painted on footage.

My 2 cents

André

Guest Scorch

Shawn

You asked me a direct question about the merits of applying for a job in London, to which I gave you an honest answer, but you require more specific feedback so here I go with a slightly more detailed adolescent pout:

- The intro, strange washed-out cubes, with very stilted movement, resolve to 'Sound Motion Design' very large on screen, not sure that would be a broadcast safe size.

- Lots of men in bowler hats with umbrellas, rotating, why? What's it trying to tell the viewer about your skills? What does it represent?

- Arrows pointing to children's faces over a blurry, lifeless background, rough movement.

- Headphones guy, treated with an animation paint effect, this bit's not that bad, well done.

- A street scene, what's the context?

- BMW logo with a paint effect, can't have taken more than 1 minute to come up with, lacking in detail.

- Man's arm with watch on followed by clunky caption over a still background.

- An illegible blurred red word, very one-dimensional and uninteresting to watch.

- Man with 6 arms, is that supposed to be you with your armoury of skills.

- Your strange cubes return above an optimistic phone number.

So, in summary:

- Lack of pace

- Lifeless use of colour

- Poor timing

- Rough movement

- Little commercial relevance

- Like the music though

My strongest advice would be to take a look at some of the reels in the 'Reels' section, any of them in fact. Brand New School, PSYOP, Gmunk, MK12, Mainframe, Shilo, etc etc etc. This will give you a good idea of what you will be competing with when you leave college.

I've been sent a lot of showreels over the past few years, and the bad ones are quickly forgotten. I'm sure you don't want to be put in that category, and there are small parts of your very short reel that show some skill, but it'll take a lot more work, and research into the processes, principles of movement, scale, use of colour, typography and timing required to achieve commercial and/or artistic success as a motion graphics designer.

Don't be put off, and it would be interesting to know what anyone else thinks, who knows, I could be way off the mark here, what do I know...?

I obviously know very little about you, but I guess as you have posted your reel onto this site that you want to know what people think of it, and how you can improve.

Good luck

Guest dun_d3viant

Thank you Scorch for you very informative reply. I will take your analysis to heart when I revise my reel and post my new one.

Many of your points are well taken and appreciated, esp. considering the amount of typing involved. haha.

Regarding the cubes, I am getting mixed reviews. Therefore, I will go with my gut... lose them. Basically this last four years of college has been a compromise between what I, as an artist, want to do, and what my school demands of me. I am sure you can relate.

I am very much looking forward to developing myself further (until retirement in fact) as a Motion Graphics artist, and truly appreciate your and everyone else's feeeback.

Cheers,

DuN

ps. Perhaps my resume can show some credibility?? haha

Guest nama rupa

OK here is my critique. I agree with all the points Scorch stated. Looking at this reel as if I was gonna hire you for a job the first thing that pops to mind is student reel. Your reel conveys you know how to operate the technical aspects of AE, but like Scorch pointed out in great detail there is room for improvement on the design aspect of your reel.

Another issue is the quality of the footage is really poor. I dont know if this is from the way you compressed it or if this is from the way you produced these spots. but from a professional standpoint I wouldn't show something that looks like that bad, and I am meaning the footage quality here.

Something else to focus on is your edit. Work it better to the audio track.

Finally know the technology but immerse yourself in design. People generally hire on creativity not technical knowledge. Dont give up if this is your passion. Ask questions. Create. Find inspiration. Learn from your mistakes. And take a small step towards your goal everyday.

Good luck and congratz on your baby

Guest PrsROSE

yeah, congrats on the baby. hahahaha.

We need to talk more in person about all these comments...lets do this asap. ok?

~jeff

Guest nama rupa

opps :oops: I got confused on who had the kid. LOL Sorry PrsRose. My bad

Guest jslicer

hey scorch,

i really thought you gave some good critique....couldn't have agreed more......it's really cool that someone would take the time to give an open honest critique and try to see the potential developing in someone that still has a ways to go....i would be very grateful for that kind of feedback as I'm sure the person receiving it is.

jslicer

Guest jslicer

oh, and 160 MBs for a large demo reel online will be the death of you.....get a good compression program and shrink that baby down or it will eat you alive

Guest dun_d3viant

Just a quick FYI... got a full-time job doing Motion Graphics at a nice corporation that is huge in the U.S.

So all that poor timing, lifeless use of color (or colour), and lack of design must have been the right idea!

Dun

ps. it's all relative. i hope we can at least agree on that.

Guest bennett

Dun, your story gives me hope.

If someone with your I-know-what-I'm-doing-and-you-guys-just-don't-understand attitude can get a job at a "nice corporation", then surely I can get my foot in the door in this business, too.

Vindication obviously belongs to dun.

All hail, dun!

I want to work at a "nice corporation" when I grow up.

Guest Scorch

think he said 'walmart' or something like that, dunno if they're any good but good luck to the lad

Guest silatix

jeez.. i took my beating like a man when i showed my demo reel.. maybe there should be a tutorial for showing portfolios on mograph