Sign in to follow this  
Guest dun_d3viant

www.shawndunbar.com

Guest scottiedarko

No kidding, silatix. Some people here react like all those awful singers trying out for American Idol..."yeah well I know I'm a great singer, who the fuck are you?"..."uh, I'm the record producer with 15 years experience who decides whether you get a contract." The big boys in every field out there took their lumps, said thanks for the advice and then kept working at it till they became all the people we envy.

Guest Timur04

There is something that really bothered about the paint effect / headphones guy. If you look at it frame by frame, when he puts his hands up, his arms are overlapping the building, and then he puts them down you can clearly see that the building is closer the to camera then he is. You need to add a mask to block his arm from overlapping the building.

I actually like the eKids part except for the actual photos of the kids. They are out of place, as in terms of design. If your going for “everything painted” effect then leave out the photographs or make them looked like they have been cut / ripped out or something.

Also I like the Sci Fi part except the ugly doodle surrounding the channels logo.

I could make a comment on each scene but somehow I feel.. ah never mind.

Guest PrsROSE
opps :oops:   I got confused on who had the kid.  LOL  Sorry PrsRose.  My bad

no sweat! just messin around :D

Guest PrsROSE
No kidding, silatix. Some people here react like all those awful singers trying out for American Idol..."yeah well I know I'm a great singer, who the fuck are you?"..."uh, I'm the record producer with 15 years experience who decides whether you get a contract." The big boys in every field out there took their lumps, said thanks for the advice and then kept working at it till they became all the people we envy.

yeah, i agree. but sometimes the big boys are full of ego and care nothing but for their own gain. Some of the best music ever made was considered crap by the head honchos. And he got a job working at a major TV production studio-- not that you guys really care. I'm leaving the name out, bc well... i know whatever company is named someone will come out with some negative crit. or sarcastic remark. and its just not needed. he worked hard to get the position and he deserves it--so more power to him. i sense he's given up trying to justify himself. alot of people here seem to have such harsh attitudes sometimes, its a shame. what ever happened to community and a common 'good will' towards all?

i aint bein mean or anything. just my thoughts...

Guest PrsROSE
Shawn

So, in summary:

- Lack of pace

- Lifeless use of colour

- Poor timing

- Rough movement

- Little commercial relevance

- Like the music though

I've been sent a lot of showreels over the past few years, and the bad ones are quickly forgotten. I'm sure you don't want to be put in that category, and there are small parts of your very short reel that show some skill, but it'll take a lot more work, and research into the processes, principles of movement, scale, use of colour, typography and timing required to achieve commercial and/or artistic success as a motion graphics designer.

Don't be put off, and it would be interesting to know what anyone else thinks, who knows, I could be way off the mark here, what do I know...?

I obviously know very little about you, but I guess as you have posted your reel onto this site that you want to know what people think of it, and how you can improve.

Good luck

see, this whole thing started off in the right spirit. sucks it ended as such.

can we call a truce? we are all good people here- just perhaps a few things were takin on all sides a little 'to far'...

Guest silatix

you can all blame bennett for me reviving this thread..

not that im nosey but i just had to find out which corporation he works for. after a quick google, his alumni info gave me this:

Shawn Dunbar (B.F.A., computer art, 2004) lives in Macon, Georgia, and is a production assistant with Cox Media, Inc.

Edited by silatix