Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chinaski

I finally get thinking particles!

Guest Sao_Bento

I'm working on a real-time spray-painting engine with drips and everything. I've got a good start so far.

First Test

This worked in real-time. Animation took 5 seconds to do, render took about 90 seconds.

I'm going to figure out a drip system next to add to this, so I will get realistic paint drips at random places in the spray paint path...

That looks really good. Aside from the random dots, the killer would be to be able to take angle into consideration.

Guest Chinaski

That looks really good. Aside from the random dots, the killer would be to be able to take angle into consideration.

The random dots are not a problem at all. That's just a texture thing. The way the system is built, you can use any kind of "brush" you want, just like photoshop. I'm just using a circular gradient with a little noise in it for these tests. I'm going to program in random effects, too, like jitter, so a really natural look can be achieved. My goal is to be able to get something that can look just like photoshop brushes animated. I'm also going to be doing some watercolor type brushes, too, where the paint disperses in a turbulent fashion, like watercolor.

What do you mean about the angle? Do you mean the angle at which the spray painter is to the surface it is painting on? So the paint paths would get larger at an off angle?

By the way, I forgot to mention that this can interactively paint on 3D geometry.

Example

The weird specular highlight on the spray paint is because I'm not rendering with antialiasing.

Guest Sao_Bento

The random dots are not a problem at all. That's just a texture thing. The way the system is built, you can use any kind of "brush" you want, just like photoshop. I'm just using a circular gradient with a little noise in it for these tests. I'm going to program in random effects, too, like jitter, so a really natural look can be achieved. My goal is to be able to get something that can look just like photoshop brushes animated. I'm also going to be doing some watercolor type brushes, too, where the paint disperses in a turbulent fashion, like watercolor.

What do you mean about the angle? Do you mean the angle at which the spray painter is to the surface it is painting on? So the paint paths would get larger at an off angle?

By the way, I forgot to mention that this can interactively paint on 3D geometry.

Example

The weird specular highlight on the spray paint is because I'm not rendering with antialiasing.

Where you use the angle of the can in relationship to the angle of the wall to create a tapered fall-off.

Example here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35583444@N00/83482240/

Guest the_Monkey

I started down this path a while back... I hope you go further than I did.

I detoured when I realized most of the complex particle effects I wanted to create (like in Sao's example) could be generated faster and more reliably with matterwaves and a luma image than without one.

Watercolor reactivity is a most nobel pursuit and I have a folder full of marginal successes. My latest strategy for automated digital watercolor involve TP w/ Pyrocluster, but I have a sneaky feeling they would get much better if I blended them with Distorter/Proximal Shaders.

... it's been a laughably slow career project.

-m

Guest Chinaski

I started down this path a while back... I hope you go further than I did.

I detoured when I realized most of the complex particle effects I wanted to create (like in Sao's example) could be generated faster and more reliably with matterwaves and a luma image than without one.

Watercolor reactivity is a most nobel pursuit and I have a folder full of marginal successes. My latest strategy for automated digital watercolor involve TP w/ Pyrocluster, but I have a sneaky feeling they would get much better if I blended them with Distorter/Proximal Shaders.

... it's been a laughably slow career project.

-m

I'd be curious to see some of your results from those experiments, even if they weren't that successful. Would you care to post any QTs?

And for Sao's example, yeah, I don't think that my technique would be able to do that.

I've had some interesting watercolor results using a ton of particles and then blurring them with After Effects Vecotr Blur filter.

Guest ai

Very interesting thread, Chinaski could you be more explicit about what you mean by watercolor effect? I'd love to see some picts of your experiments.

Guest Chinaski

Very interesting thread, Chinaski could you be more explicit about what you mean by watercolor effect? I'd love to see some picts of your experiments.

Sorry, AI. Those tests were done for a project that's been archived, and I just don't have the time to get them on the drives again.

But, if you want to try something on your own, just combine particular with vector blur and turbulent displace and you'll get some cool stuff. Vector blur is good for creating veigning around the edges.

Guest Srek

Nice examples Chinaski, i love them :)

One of the first TP things i built was an ink jet printer showing the drops flying from head to paper and getting stuck on it.

I created some new TP presets, they are now available from the Maxon download page.

http://www.maxon.de/pages/download/shader_e.html

Even if you don't plan to use presets directly i think dissecting them might be interesting for some people.

Cheers

Björn

Guest Chinaski

Nice examples Chinaski, i love them :)

One of the first TP things i built was an ink jet printer showing the drops flying from head to paper and getting stuck on it.

I created some new TP presets, they are now available from the Maxon download page.

http://www.maxon.de/pages/download/shader_e.html

Even if you don't plan to use presets directly i think dissecting them might be interesting for some people.

Cheers

Björn

Thanks, Bjorn!

Seriously, you have been a gigantic help (both directly and indirectly) in helping me out with TP and Xpresso. If you weren't so active in the community and so generous with your time and knowledge, I don't think I could have learned how to do this stuff.

Guest Srek

Thanks for the nice words.

Seeing what you guys do with this stuff is definitly worth the effort :)

Cheers

Björn

Edited by Srek

Guest the_Monkey
I'd be curious to see some of your results from those experiments, even if they weren't that successful. Would you care to post any QTs?

And for Sao's example, yeah, I don't think that my technique would be able to do that.

I've had some interesting watercolor results using a ton of particles and then blurring them with After Effects Vecotr Blur filter.

My digital watercolor trials are just shy of being ready to share/post, but when they are ready, I will.

I've had some satisfying results with TP with Glow/Smear in AE to simulate "mography" rushing water. Results were wildly unpredictable, which is just swell if you got time, but I had to abandon this due to deadlines. I rendered several versions with more complex node setups, but something about the speed, color, and spacing of these particles produced the best results.

I'm also glad you were able to join the thread Srek.

While there are many sites that offer TP samples on the net now... a few years back Srek was the only game in town. I learned just about everything I know from bonkers.de. His willingness to freely share his discoveries is infectious and is largely responsible for why I try to do the same.

This last week was stoopid work crazy, but I think I may have a couple weeks off now. One of the things holding my watercolor sketches back is a lack of quality research. I'm hoping to capture some time-lapse of different watercolor consistencies drying on different mediums. There is something so specific that happens on the edges where the surface tension causes the ink to swell. My mind keeps trying to visualize it, but a reference would much more helpful. Of course, the *new* rumor is that our Mograph Module will arrive on Monday... which may change my whole approach. ;)

Even if there isn't enough time/interest/players for a TP challenge right now I'll keep digging up stuff and posting findings/tactics with you Chinaski.

-m

Guest Crypty

Hey what ever happened to that herepes shader? Did you ever pur it up for download? Maybe I missed it.

Guest Chinaski

Hey what ever happened to that herepes shader? Did you ever pur it up for download? Maybe I missed it.

It is stil online for download. There is a link to it in the teapot challenge thread.

Even if there isn't enough time/interest/players for a TP challenge right now I'll keep digging up stuff and posting findings/tactics with you Chinaski.

Sounds good. Although, I am about to get crazy busy with work pretty soon, myself, so I probably won't have much more time to experiment until I get through these jobs.

And, I got a notice on Thursday, that my Maxon products have shipped, so I'm hoping I get them today!

Edited by Chinaski

Guest paccollective

this thread has been tremendously enlightening, thanks for the dialogue, links and examples.

Edited by paccollective

Guest Chinaski

Well, I just played around a bit with the Mograph module and thinking particles. It is amazing! I can do things quite easily that I'm not even sure are possible with other programs. Well, maybe they are possible, but I'm sure they are incredibly complex to do.

Just as a test, I created this combination of Thinking Particles and spline wrap to actually deform the particles to their direction of travel. Notice they are not just aligning, but actually deforming along the paths. VERY COOL, no?

The setup time was only few minutes.

Guest Chinaski

looks like sperm

You started the trend. I'm just trying to bring it to the masses.

Edited by Chinaski

Guest Chinaski

sperm is the next deer head

I think you mean the next paint drips.

Ewww.... :unsure:

Guest T02

Pretty cool!

Now only if you found a way to generate them splines automatically, things would be great. And also, you might try to script a wiggle motion where the paths change direction.

Guest Chinaski

Pretty cool!

Now only if you found a way to generate them splines automatically, things would be great. And also, you might try to script a wiggle motion where the paths change direction.

The splines are generated by particles. Its about as automatic as it gets, with pretty good control over everything.

Not sure how else it could be more automatic or easier to set up...

As for the wiggle, I'm not really trying to make a sperm animation - that's just a joke. Its the technique that I'm interested in.

Edited by Chinaski

Guest Chinaski
Revised spray paint. I've started to add the drip system. % of drips can be controlled with a variable, and position on spray paint can be changed by providing a new random seed value. Still quite a bit of work to do, but I got over a big hurdle, which was figuring out how to send only a specific % of particles to a new group. Big thanks to Srek, Chris Cousins, and Paul Selhi for the help on that. Edited by Chinaski

Guest govinda

Hey, good stuff is still coming out on this thread. I've got mograph on the job now but I'm mostly modeling and moving cameras. Damn, I've got to do something cool with TP and mograph or I'm going to blow all up.