Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tread

an inconvenient truth

Guest nutrition_facts

also a friend mentioned that Ford has a car called the "Ka" which supposedly gets like 50+ mpg (don't think it's a hybrid) but they won't sell it in the US because they consider it "too small". anyone have any other info on that ridiculous notion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ka

i do.

3 people... 4 bags of luggage.... 2 backpacks .... 2 record-bags (carrying 120+60 vinyl records) .... novation midi controller+motu audio interface (both in they're original boxes, which adds up to more space) .... misc items .... and last but not least a freestyle bmx bike (inside the car.... we just took out the front wheel).

we left porto (northwest iberia) at 5am, stopped in a rest area near saragoza at around 3pm do sleep a couple of hours, and arrived in barcelona around 10pm. the total cost of the trip was around 150€ (gas, and especially tolls...which are expensive in spain). hows that for a small car? :D:D:D:D

glad to see you people actually care about how wrong the world has gone in 200+ years of industrial mayhem. instead of spec work, you could do motion graphics pieces illustrating these and other issues.

:H

Edited by nutrition_facts

Guest fredcamino

glad to see you people actually care about how wrong the world has gone in 200+ years of industrial mayhem. instead of spec work, you could do motion graphics pieces illustrating these and other issues.

:H

no offense but if it wasn't for those 200+ years of industrial mayhem something tells me no one here would be able to illustrate anything with motion graphics. you probably wouldn't be listening to techno music either. instead you'd probably doing the creative endeavour called farming. amazing how many people on the cutting edge of technology are also luddites.

Edited by fredcamino

Guest jaan

i'm looking forward to fred's power point presentation countering al gore's. he can call it "the convenience of bewbs".

Guest nutrition_facts

well.... i do farm.

and my point is that it's never too late to change. millions die everyday from avoidable causes, caused by other people. plus... we're being agressive on our host planet.

i'd gladly trade in motion graphics and techno music, i could still play a lot of fascinating instruments that have existed for thousands of years. thing is... don't think i really have to, i'd just much rather do motion graphics to entertain or raise awareness than to sell stuff people don't really need.

on the subject of techno music » http://www.squerk.org/audio/v.a.-buna_mini..._mix_jun_06.mp3 ... not drum&bass.... hope it's more to your liking. :) you can't be that much of a bad person, u like that jorge ben track. :P

Guest milksac

We are the world, we are the children

We are the ones who make a brighter day

So lets start giving

Theres a choice were making

Were saving our own lives

Its true well make a better day

Just you and me

So lets start giving

Just you and me

We are the world......

:lol:

Guest nutrition_facts

So lets start giving

Just you and me

So lets start giving

Just you and me

We are the world......

:lol:

yep, that's me. :)

Edited by nutrition_facts

Guest parallax

Scott,

You really should take politics out of the picture before looking at how the data is interpreted. I don't need (or want for that matter) to know what agenda some sources you quoted are running, their conclusions are ridiculous enough.

Oh, and only women drive Ford Ka's (apparently). People pull up next to those things to check who's behind the steeringwheel.

Really sad.

Guest fredcamino

http://www.squerk.org/audio/v.a.-buna_mini..._mix_jun_06.mp3 ... not drum&bass.... hope it's more to your liking. :) you can't be that much of a bad person, u like that jorge ben track. :P

i listened to your track. nice, still not my style but i respect what you do! keep up the good work.

oh yeah, i think i've already spammed this in this thread, but in the name of sustainablity i'll do it again... Los Angeles people check out my public tranist blog: MetroRiderLA . Save da erf! Take the train (red line, pershing square stop) to see AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH for FWEE downtown on June 24th at 8:00 PM via Grand Performances.

Guest scott frizzle

Scott,

You really should take politics out of the picture before looking at how the data is interpreted. I don't need (or want for that matter) to know what agenda some sources you quoted are running, their conclusions are ridiculous enough.

Oh, and only women drive Ford Ka's (apparently). People pull up next to those things to check who's behind the steeringwheel.

Really sad.

I personally don't think it's silly at all to come to the conclusion that the giant ass nuclear furnace that we orbit just might have more to do with global temperature fluctuations than the CO2 emissions of mankind, but perhaps I'm just blinded by solar politics.

And the Ford Ka is a chickmobile. :D

Guest Awesome Swelles

1. The idea that there is a debate about global warming is something that has been perpetuated by the Bush administration. In reality it's not much more of a debate than that between Evolutionists and Intelligent Design advocates.

2. The real problem is when you look at the difference in the polar ice caps in the past 100 years. It's scary. And rising sea levels cause all kind of problems. Obviously flooding becomes more of a risk, and no one wants to see Holland become mostly water. But worse, the cold water impacts on the gulf stream, and could change the direction it flows in, making much of Northern Europe much colder.

Guest parallax

Obviously flooding becomes more of a risk, and no one wants to see Holland become mostly water. But worse, the cold water impacts on the gulf stream, and could change the direction it flows in, making much of Northern Europe much colder.

I didn't even touch that subject.

This is what The Netherlans (Holland) looks like without dikes:

hkaartlo.jpg

That's some 12 million people submerged (16 million total population) including Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague. In a secret CIA report this region is said to be directly affected in the coming 50 years.

Guest parsonsprojects

Just came in from seeing the movie itself...sorry guys. It's just a crappy movie. I'm very interested in the topic of global warming itself, which is why I really wanted to see it. And I was also very taken in by the movie's poster...honestly...I thought the image was very compelling. However, I think a big fat picture of Al Gore's head might have been a little more appropriate. That, and calling it "AlGore.ppt" rather than "Inconvenient Truth."

I don't know. I went to find out more about global warming, but instead just learned about Al Gore's Power Point prowess. Period.

Guest scott frizzle

Just came in from seeing the movie itself...sorry guys. It's just a crappy movie. I'm very interested in the topic of global warming itself, which is why I really wanted to see it. And I was also very taken in by the movie's poster...honestly...I thought the image was very compelling. However, I think a big fat picture of Al Gore's head might have been a little more appropriate. That, and calling it "AlGore.ppt" rather than "Inconvenient Truth."

I don't know. I went to find out more about global warming, but instead just learned about Al Gore's Power Point prowess. Period.

Parsonsprojects, Al Gore sprung forth pure as the driven snow from Gaia's womb for the explicit purpose to save us from ourselves. How dare you question his masterpiece! I mean, he even SAID he doesn't want to run for president! What additional proof do you need of his motives?

The biggest similarity I see between this debate and the "intelligent design" debate is the religious furvor with which many people defend the concept of human induced, catastrophic global warming, and their complete and utter refusal to consider any other possible theories. It's as if you told them their Jesus might not be real by simply asking a few questions.

Guest faston

Summary of the previous 4 pages:

1. Al Gore is a pompous douchebag. As an aside, I'm actually strating to feel sorry for him. He was the popular choice for president of the US, yet he lost the election. now he's taken up an issue that everyone is concerned about to some degree or another and his innate douchebagginess has pretty much ensured that most people will hate him for it.

2. Global warming may or may not be happening and it may or may not be partially the fault of industrialized nations. However, even the skeptics seem to want to err on the side of caution.

3. Designers will always hate .ppt

Guest fredcamino

Summary of the previous 4 pages:

1. Al Gore is a pompous douchebag. As an aside, I'm actually strating to feel sorry for him. He was the popular choice for president of the US, yet he lost the election. now he's taken up an issue that everyone is concerned about to some degree or another and his innate douchebagginess has pretty much ensured that most people will hate him for it.

2. Global warming may or may not be happening and it may or may not be partially the fault of industrialized nations. However, even the skeptics seem to want to err on the side of caution.

3. Designers will always hate .ppt

beautiful summary :H

Guest Sao_Bento

Technically, it's a Keynote presentation, not powerpoint.

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/technique/...jects/6681.html

Also, don't confuse a real issue with your opinion about one guy. Al Gore is not a Bond evil genius with a weather machine, making this happen.

Guest jetle25

Man there is too much to say to make a clear argument or statement on this board. The world right now is experiencing so many problems and repeat of history its very easy for us in a more comfortable lifestyle to say "whatever man, its not effecting me then I don't care." I'm sure I am guilty of it as are all of us. But I think its wrong to say this movie is all BS, cause its not. People went out of the way to show us that we are all connected and that we can't say whatever and that we need to step it up and become more unified globally. We need to stop bickering about things that dont' really matter and take a little more action in our daily lives. This I think will be the flaw of mankind that we just can't stop fighting. But hopefully more and more people are becoming more aware, being a bit more compassionate, and doing something more every day, and taking responsibilty for their actions, than these movies won't need to be made.

Just my two cents

Guest parsonsprojects

Technically, it's a Keynote presentation, not powerpoint.

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/technique/...jects/6681.html

Also, don't confuse a real issue with your opinion about one guy. Al Gore is not a Bond evil genius with a weather machine, making this happen.

Okay, okay. But "Keynote" ruins my alliteration.

Still, I wish it was less about Gore telling me about the issue and more about the issue at hand. That's all. He just seemed to get in the way of the message...which makes me wonder briefly about his intentions. I say "briefly" because I quite honestly don't care what his agenda is. I just wanted to learn more about the issue and was disappointed when the movie didn't deliver. I generally don't like Gore's politics, but I figured that since this was apparently his life's work and passion that there might well be something good happening with the film. There was some, but overall it was disappointing and came across as something else.

My first inclination was to just go to the library, and I think it would have been a better (and cheaper) way to go.

But you know what? If it makes even a few people more mindful of the issue and spurs them into making changes in their own lives, then I guess I'm fine with it. Even if it meant paying $20 to stare at Gore's mug for two hours of a Keynote presentation.... <_<

Guest Awesome Swelles

The biggest similarity I see between this debate and the "intelligent design" debate is the religious furvor with which many people defend the concept of human induced, catastrophic global warming, and their complete and utter refusal to consider any other possible theories. It's as if you told them their Jesus might not be real by simply asking a few questions.

I'm always appalled that the Flat Earth society isn't allowed to address the debate on the rotundity of our planet every time NASA launches a space craft. Because our debates have to be fair and balanced or else there wouldn't be a debate y'know?

Fight on brave minority of scientists that believe global warming is a myth! Fight on!

Guest Tread

Fight on brave minority of scientists that believe global warming is a myth! Fight on!

I'm seriously perplexed as to who or what these people are trying to protect!? Please someone explain this to me... what are you protecting!!! The people's right to live totally apathetic and wasteful lives?

About the only thing I see at risk is the oil industry. I think it's reasonably possible to maintain our standard of living while at the same time being environmentally friendly.

am I wrong?

Edited by Tread

Guest scott frizzle

I'm always appalled that the Flat Earth society isn't allowed to address the debate on the rotundity of our planet every time NASA launches a space craft. Because our debates have to be fair and balanced or else there wouldn't be a debate y'know?

LOL

Again, I don't think there's much debate at all about the existence of global warming, or that mankind is contributing to it; the debate lies in how much we are contributing to it, and what the ultimate consequences are. Funny you mentioned NASA; some of the information that I linked to suggesting solar causes for global warming came from them.

Tread, as far as "what they're protecting" goes, science is about the search for truth, even if the truth ends up in favor of institutions we may find unsavory. It's easy to say "who cares, this is a good thing," but what happens then? There's plenty of people who think that we should immediately require automobile companies to make every car get 75 mpg, as if they can just snap their fingers and make that happen with no ill effects, and that we should make every company that produces greenhouse emissions pay a tax back to the government (hey, a new revenue stream!), but how much economic impact are you willing to accept? How many of the amenities in your life are you willing to lose? Would you lay down your job in support of sweeping new environmental regulation?

I completely agree with the sentiment that individuals should make smarter choices in regards to this issue, and err on the side of caution. Where I start to get nervous is when politicians and governments get involved.

I will admit to a certain amount of skepticism towards the environmental movement in general (even though I consider myself strongly pro environment). My father was a nuclear engineer, and at the end of his career was president of a nuclear power plant. Obviously that's pretty much satan personified to a lot of people, but I've seen the outright lies, demagoguery and scare tactics that people are now attributing to the oil companies used by the wholesome, peaceful greens. We generally have a knee jerk negative reaction to corporations when it comes to topics like this, but there are plenty of other people seeking power in different ways, often under the guise of "protecting us."

Guest pakman

Hey Repubs, see the movie before you give us the party talking points.

The definition of a right winger is one who let's others do his thinking for him. You're too smart

for that, I hope. See it and then comment.

"tbullshit. this is fear based politics at its best. it's no different than the republicans wanting to ban gay marraige

Edited by pakman