Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tread

an inconvenient truth

Guest kinojay33

All across the world, agencies & businesses are missing their deadlines for mograph pieces as a result of global warming...or at least a long-winded discussion about it. :P

Guest Tread

including me, frig...

just change your light bulbs, get green energy, and shut up, will you already?

Guest fredcamino

including me, frig...

just change your light bulbs, get green energy, and shut up, will you already?

heal the world. make it a better place. for me and for you and the entire human race. there are people dying. if you care enough for the living. make a better place for you and for me.

-michael jackson

Guest scott frizzle

Scott, I love you man, but if you don't believe them yourself, why cite them? You're sliding all over the place. Clearly your opinion on the matter is fluctuating, as is everyone's. I'd love to see people to stop considering scientists, the most open-minded people in the world, as being close-minded because they discard bad ideas and replace them with good ideas that fit the data. The entire scientific method starts with 'assume the reverse of the hypothesis.' Is there anything more open-minded than that?

Well, most of this has been discussed in one way or another... I'm not sure if I can really add anything new here. Basically, I'm uncommitted on the issue. GW is real, we're contributing to it on some level, but beyond that, I'm still questioning several things.

Ideally scientists are open minded, but they are human beings too, and they have biases and political opinions just like the rest of us. They are also not immune to financial persuasion. If "Big Oil" can get scientists to say what they want, it can happen in the opposite direction, so I'm guarded.

Also, as I mentioned many moons ago, scientists have royally fucked up several doomsday predictions in the past; it seems some healthy skepticism isn't going to hurt. It doesn't mean that I'm beyond convincing one way or the other, it just means that it's going to take more to do it.

I also agree that this thread needs to be put to death, but I can't stay away... it's like crack (which by the way, doesn't really exist.)

Guest Sao_Bento

Well, most of this has been discussed in one way or another... I'm not sure if I can really add anything new here. Basically, I'm uncommitted on the issue. GW is real, we're contributing to it on some level, but beyond that, I'm still questioning several things.

Ideally scientists are open minded, but they are human beings too, and they have biases and political opinions just like the rest of us. They are also not immune to financial persuasion. If "Big Oil" can get scientists to say what they want, it can happen in the opposite direction, so I'm guarded.

Also, as I mentioned many moons ago, scientists have royally fucked up several doomsday predictions in the past; it seems some healthy skepticism isn't going to hurt. It doesn't mean that I'm beyond convincing one way or the other, it just means that it's going to take more to do it.

I also agree that this thread needs to be put to death, but I can't stay away... it's like crack (which by the way, doesn't really exist.)

I'm still waiting for someone to explain the down-side of reeling in our massive consumption of resources.

Guest pixelthief

This is one hell of a lopsided comparison bro and you would know better if you'd actually perused Newsmax or Frontpage beyond the one article that popped up in your google search results and you so eagerly cited.

I agree that sites like Newsmax are biased; I just thought it was interesting that people were using Al Gore as a 100% unbiased source. Can't have it both ways.

Guest scott frizzle

This is one hell of a lopsided comparison bro and you would know better if you'd actually perused Newsmax or Frontpage beyond the one article that popped up in your google search results and you so eagerly cited.

I know what NewsMax is, thanks, and I also know that Al Gore is a career politician. Perhaps it's your own skepticism that's lopsided.

Guest scott frizzle

I'm still waiting for someone to explain the down-side of reeling in our massive consumption of resources.

I don't see one, as long as people do it by choice. I become less optimistic when we put the government in charge of these things.

If films like Inconvenient Truth cause people to make more intelligent choices about resource consumption, I think that's great. But if all it does is make people want to hand the whole thing over to the government and trust them not to screw us, well, that's not so great.

Guest faston

I don't see one, as long as people do it by choice. I become less optimistic when we put the government in charge of these things.

If films like Inconvenient Truth cause people to make more intelligent choices about resource consumption, I think that's great. But if all it does is make people want to hand the whole thing over to the government and trust them not to screw us, well, that's not so great.

Resource management on the honor system? OK, but watch out for the smug.

Guest Sao_Bento

How do you think it runs now? The current goal is only to benefit big business. How are you winning from that?

Guest fredcamino

i guess you see no downside to the lack of immediate and powerful on-demmand sources of complete and utter pleasure.

Guest nutrition_facts

i guess you see no downside to the lack of immediate and powerful on-demmand sources of complete and utter pleasure.

*east london accent*... "woh...... drugzeeeumean?"

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Guest scott frizzle

I'm not saying government has no role here, I'm just not as eager as some for sweeping governmental regulations on business in the name of stopping global warming. There's all kinds of room for abuse as well as serious potential economic ripple effects once we say it's ok for the government to run that show. While that would be preferable to the ocean rising 15 feet, I'd prefer we make damn sure that's going to happen before giving up that much freedom.

Guest pixelthief

Perhaps, but furthermore what you said makes no sense. Who said Al Gore was 100% unbiased? If you know what Newsmax is, why on earth would you cite it? Because it's funny?

A smattering of headlines from newsmax, which features not one but two photos of sultry succubus Ann Coulter on its front page:

ACLU: Kick Jesus Out of High School

Dean: 'We're About to Enter the '60s Again'

Hillary in 'Tragic' Flag Flap With Liberals

Prosecute the NY Times? Vote Now

NewsMax Poll: Overwhelming Support for Ann Coulter

Sen. Roberts: Irresponsible Media Hurt U.S. Intel

I know what NewsMax is, thanks, and I also know that Al Gore is a career politician. Perhaps it's your own skepticism that's lopsided.

Guest scott frizzle

Perhaps, but furthermore what you said makes no sense. Who said Al Gore was 100% unbiased? If you know what Newsmax is, why on earth would you cite it? Because it's funny?

A smattering of headlines from newsmax, which features not one but two photos of sultry succubus Ann Coulter on its front page:

ACLU: Kick Jesus Out of High School

Dean: 'We're About to Enter the '60s Again'

Hillary in 'Tragic' Flag Flap With Liberals

Prosecute the NY Times? Vote Now

NewsMax Poll: Overwhelming Support for Ann Coulter

Sen. Roberts: Irresponsible Media Hurt U.S. Intel

I linked to the article due to its content. Prove to me that the scientists referenced in the NewsMax article are not the real thing (did you even read it?) and I will concede that it was a mistake to link to it. Otherwise, let's not waste each others time arguing who's personal biases are better.

The original point in all this was simply that not all scientists are on board with the "Invoncenient Truth" view of Global Warming, and that not all of these skeptics are quacks or lackeys for Big Oil. I think that point still stands.

Guest superFrofessional

I just saw Inconvenient Truth and found it to be thoughtful and well worth checking out. It definitely has persuaded me to be more active in lowering my consumption and expenditures of resources.

I avoided reading this thread/flame until after I had seen the film. scott, I'm assuming you've seen it, but if you haven't; I'll promise you I'll read/view anything you recommend if you will go see the film. I'll also pay for your ticket. seriously.

oh &&-- it was hillarious reading this thread and constantly seeing your frightened snowman icon. I don't know if you did that for just this thread, but if you did, true genius sir.

Guest scott frizzle

I just saw Inconvenient Truth and found it to be thoughtful and well worth checking out. It definitely has persuaded me to be more active in lowering my consumption and expenditures of resources.

I avoided reading this thread/flame until after I had seen the film. scott, I'm assuming you've seen it, but if you haven't; I'll promise you I'll read/view anything you recommend if you will go see the film. I'll also pay for your ticket. seriously.

oh &&-- it was hillarious reading this thread and constantly seeing your frightened snowman icon. I don't know if you did that for just this thread, but if you did, true genius sir.

Oh, I have no huge aversion to seeing the film; the fact that I haven't is more an issue of my schedule than anything else at this point. I will likely have to wait for the DVD, but I did see there's a book out too, which may end up being better for me. I've started collecting information on this topic so a book might end up being a better long term resource.

I appreciate your offer to buy my ticket and see/ read anything I recommend; but I wasn't really trying to convince anyone of a particular viewpoint here; I just have some questions that put me in the undecided camp on various aspects of this phenomenon. I'm still in the process of sorting that out.

Ha! The snowman connection to global warming was unintentional. And I firmly deny the rumors that the circumference of snowman's head has decreased by 3 inches over the last 20 years.

Guest carniceria

::Thread on permanent hold until Scott sees the movie::

Edited by carniceria