Sign in to follow this  
Guest Superbig

Free Vector Flourishes

Guest pakman

Thanks, would love to see more vector stock :)

You're welcome to make something and post it.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but here's a link to hi-res TIFFs of hundreds of pieces of woodblock style clip art--

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/sitemap/sitemap.htm

Go under "Designs" and check out "Banners", "Corners", and "Doodads" for flourishes, frames, and ornaments. They're high enough res that you can easily convert them to vector using AutoTrace.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but here's a link to hi-res TIFFs of hundreds of pieces of woodblock style clip art--

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/sitemap/sitemap.htm

Go under "Designs" and check out "Banners", "Corners", and "Doodads" for flourishes, frames, and ornaments. They're high enough res that you can easily convert them to vector using AutoTrace.

It's an awesome ressource. (Thanks, kinojay)

Regarding the license...

Restrictions. No commercial use may be made of the clipart on this site without written permission of FCIT. Clipart from this site may not be used to create obscene or scandalous works. Clipart of individuals or businesses may not be used to suggest endorsements of products, services, or activities. Under no circumstances may the clipart on this site be included in any other published clipart collection, whether sold or distributed freely.

Would you still use them?

Edited by isotrope

It's an awesome ressource. (Thanks, kinojay)

Regarding the license...

Would you still use them?

When it comes to stuff like that, I typically make a few alterations to the image & it's good enough for me to feel comfortable that I'm not ripping it off. I mean, most of those images are scanned from books that are over 100 years old--does a copywrite even stand up at that point?

I wouldn't vectorize them & sell them as your own, but I can't imagine anyone suing you if you used one as, say, a subdued grunge element in a background.

When it comes to stuff like that, I typically make a few alterations to the image & it's good enough for me to feel comfortable that I'm not ripping it off. I mean, most of those images are scanned from books that are over 100 years old--does a copywrite even stand up at that point?

I wouldn't vectorize them & sell them as your own, but I can't imagine anyone suing you if you used one as, say, a subdued grunge element in a background.

Thanks for elaborating.

Thanks for elaborating.

No problem...but as LeVar Burton says, you don't have to take my word for it.... :)

I'm certainly not trying to condone theft of copywrited materials. And I'm in no way whatsoever an expert on copywrite law. But coming from the artist viewpoint, if someone 100 years from now wanted to take an illustration I did, alter it & use it as a non-primary element in an artwork (even if it was a commencial artwork), I can't imagine I'd mind. Does this hold up legally? Ummm..... :blink: