Sign in to follow this  
Guest Trigger

Zoom and pan thru and along an animation

Guest Trigger

Hi

Just a quick question I want to create a sequence where the camera pans along an environment and then stops and zooms into certain sections of the animation. and zooms out again and then continues on panning. Is it best to create one large image with all the separate elements on individual layers in Illustrator and Photoshop first then animate in AE then work on the panning and zooming stuff. If it is best to create one large image that is bigger than the composition? Is there a set large size that it shouldn’t be any bigger than? With live footage zooming looks cheap and nasty so its best to do a dolly shot is that the same with AE, where there is a cheap way --zoom to a nice smooth dolly shot. I hope that this makes sense.

Much appreciate the advice.

Guest seabass

Uh, I don't understand that last part, but the first part I get.

Doing things with an oversized piece of artwork will work, but you may have RAM/image buffer issues if its too big. AE won't be able to render it full rez. I don't usually go over 8k.

An more stable way to do this is to break it up into chunks, and parent those chunks to a null object, then animate the null.

Guest SermonOfMockery

trigger, the short answer to all your questions is "yes." you are on the right track.

seabass is also correct.

Guest Trigger

trigger, the short answer to all your questions is "yes." you are on the right track.

seabass is also correct.

Thanks, sorry about the long winded question.