Sign in to follow this  
Guest firemind

MOGRAPH COMPETITION 1

Guest firemind

Here it is, MoGraph's very first contest. Our goal with this is to provide some fun and hopefully some buzz for motion graphics as a medium.

The Brief:

A selfportrait in motion graphics form. Who are you? What do you stand for? What defines you? And how to express that in visual motion? Surprise us with something clever, something personal.

The Rules:

-Post a link to your final piece in this thread. Delivery format is Quicktime, Sorenson 3 compressed, no greater than 30mb in filesize. Any posts in Real format will be automatically disqualified :P If you don't have any webspace leave me a msg and I'll see if I can help out. The best 5 (providing we get so many) will have a permanent home on mograph (with creator credit and link to their URL of choice), just do remember our bandwidth is tiny :P

-Contest deadline is juli 15th. You thus have 2 months.

-While no minimum or maximum length will be enforced, try to keep it within the 30-60 second range.

-The winner will agree to write a short piece on how his/her piece was created, the underlying thoughts and concepts, etc. to be posted on MoGraph.net

-The two runners up will agree to take part in an interview to be posted on MoGraph.net about the same subjects.

You are free to post work in progress versions in the WIP forum. Any insights on technical, conceptual and easthetic decisions are highly welcomed.

The Jury:

A new poll thread will be compiled with links to all the entries once the contest deadline has passed. Registered MoGraph members will be able to cast their vote there. We will be watching for cheating as far as people signing up under new names and a sudden increase in new members goes. We ask people to please vote fairly.

Public vote will account for 60% of the score, the admin team of MoGraph (myself and igorshmigor) will account for the other 40%. This also means we're excluded as far as winning anything goes :P

Speaking of which...

The Prize(s?):

Big up to the fine people at Jewelboxing. They've offered to ship a 40pack of their überslick jewelcases to the contest winner! Check out their site and lust over their fine products.

coveralt.jpg

The contest winner(s) will be contacted via the e-mail provided in their registration profile and their adress details will be forwarded to the appropriate sponsor(s).

If you also want to sponsor this contest with a swanky prize, leave me a message!

DISCLAIMER CRAP: This contest is mostly for fun. Just in case though: By entering this contest contestants agree to the conditions mentioned above. All prizes are final and non negotiable. MoGraph.net and it's owners take no responsibility for contest prize delivery. Sponsors take no responsibility for prizes damaged or lost in mail. All copyrights remain with the creators, MoGraph does reserve the right to showcase the submitted movies as part of the contest archive.

Guest Bspice

I was wondering if it is ok to use a commercially released track to use as audio for a competition entry. Any clarrification on this?

Guest firemind

That depends if it's legal to do so where you live. I know they're a lot stricter about it in Europe than in the US. Basically it's up to you, as we can't take any responsibility for whatever consequences there may be.

Guest govinda

I'd get started sooner if I knew myself better. Can anyone refer me to a good psychotherapist with strong displacement mapping skills? This could take years. Pfffft, one month my ass!!

Cogito, ergo luma matte.

Guest parallax

*sound of me crashing a producers head into the wall for him not getting off my back so i can compete in the 1st supersexy international mograph.net motion graphics competition*

Guest silatix

i just found about this now.. is there a prize for the worst piece? :D

Guest firemind
1 week remaining. I'm not seeing *any* submissions here yet....

Guest jasfish

just to clarify on the deadline -- are you taking submissions till end of day June 15th? And is there a hard time .. or does it float depending on what time zone you're in?

I have a feeling I'm going to need every minute.

And as for no submissions .. are you really surprised ;) isn't everyone waiting until the last minute on this :)

Guest silatix

1month isnt much time.. especially for people with full time jobs & freelance work .

if i had another week or two id definitely submit

Guest Scorch

I've only just seen this competition, might have been a good idea to email everyone a month ago, but I'm guessing with the lack of other submissions, I could just spend 20 minutes animating my name in shiny 3D letters, and win the boxes?

but seriously, to create 30-60 secs of competition quality work is gonna take more than 1 month of sunday afternoons to accomplish, so for people who aren't students, we're prob gonna need a longer deadline. I've been too busy even to visit mograph over the past few weeks, so wouldn't have been able to put much time into it anyway. Any thoughts?

Guest govinda

They say it takes a big man to admit his errors. (Now that I've patted myself on the back, I can get onto the pathetic whine you know is coming.) But aww shit, I thought I'd have time this week to work on this. No dice. I got onto a project this week and last that has me working until 1am every night, and probably weekends. I'm kinda typical I think.

Emperor govinda wears no clothes.

Let's go another two weeks, eh? If there are a lot of submissions by people who budgeted their time properly, I'll politely just hate their guts, I mean, I'll politely give it up unitl next comp.

Guest chibosa

If I didn't suck so bad I would submit something. :( you guys rock.

Guest silatix

throw some digital anarchy plugins to the first prize and we'll see who doesnt finish on time ;)

Guest lowtech

man... all i'm reading is a bunch of excuses why ppl can't hand something in. damnit, write some text, animate it going in a circle and hand it in. who cares, it's for fun. in other online competitions, i've seen some crazy stupid, nutty vfx handins that of course dont win, but forsure give everyone a good laugh. for those that just can't find the time, i feel bad for you guys. anyhow... i'mm hand in some stuff tonight, just before the deadline so stay tuned.

Guest firemind

Well, majority decided, so I'm adding 4 more weeks. This is it tho, no more leeway for slackers!

Guest firemind

Ohwell, whoever submits something wins 'em. There were about 20 ppl begging for a competition, the fact that there's a prize at all is a bonus.

Guest André Leroux

Would I be wrong in saying that the new deadline was moved to July 15th.

Ok all you ppl's out there, "sound of whiplash" get going :)