Sign in to follow this  
Guest juicysauce

C4D hangs while "saving frame"

Guest juicysauce

This is weird. I was rendering a 150-frame sequence in C4D with no problems until it got to the 77th frame. The frame rendered on screen, but then C4D hung. The status bar said "Saving frame..." and it just stuck there. I checked my folder permissions (I'm on a Mac) and even changed the location of the save to my desktop. But it still hung while saving the frame.

So I tried skipping frame 77 and starting with frame 78. This time C4D got hung up during the first phase of the render, i.e. "Preparing..."

So I skipped frame 78 and started with frame 79, which worked fine. (It still took a while to get through the "Saving frame..." bit, though.)

Has anyone else ever had any problems similar to this? There's not much on the web about it, just some guy who posted on CGTalk and didn't get much help.

Thanks.

Guest mikeh64

does something nasty start at frame 77?

cloth, particles, scene/object motion blur, thinking particles, pyrocluster, caustics, and a few other things may just be taking forever to calculate

how much ram do you have?

mike

Guest juicysauce

does something nasty start at frame 77?

cloth, particles, scene/object motion blur, thinking particles, pyrocluster, caustics, and a few other things may just be taking forever to calculate

how much ram do you have?

mike

Yeah, that's the weird part: Nothing exceptional is going on in frame 77. (I actually think the problem frame is frame 78.) It's just a camera moving around a scene.

I have 2.5gb of RAM.

Guest Chinaski

I had a problem a long long time ago that was similar, and the problem was fixed with an updater to the program (it was a program bug).

You could try systematically deleting objects until you find out which one is causing the problem... That's where I'd start. It could be a texture error. Are you using movies or image sequences for textures? Could be a corrupt frame or file there.

If you send me the file, I'll take a look at it.

Otherwise, assuming you've got a legal copy of Cinema, you can send the file to Maxon's tech support. They'll usually send you a diagnosis within a day.

Guest juicysauce

I had a problem a long long time ago that was similar, and the problem was fixed with an updater to the program (it was a program bug).

You could try systematically deleting objects until you find out which one is causing the problem... That's where I'd start. It could be a texture error. Are you using movies or image sequences for textures? Could be a corrupt frame or file there.

If you send me the file, I'll take a look at it.

Otherwise, assuming you've got a legal copy of Cinema, you can send the file to Maxon's tech support. They'll usually send you a diagnosis within a day.

Thanks for the reply, Chinaski. I think I figured out what the problem was: My Boole was set to High Quality, which is apparently known to cause problems. Switching High Quality off seemed to remedy the issue. So in other words, Low Quality is higher quality than High Quality (in this case).