Sign in to follow this  
monovich

website up /w short reel

Howdy all.

I stepped out of a staff position in January to take a year, enjoy life, and make my own stuff. It took me forever, but I finally sat down and put a website up. I've got only a small bit of work up there so far, but I'm posting here as my "hello world" to mograph. The reel posted is everything up to January 2006, but nothing after (as I haven't been working much :) ).

I'll post more here when there is more to look at.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

monovich

:ph34r:

I don't know, Monovich... I'm not feelin' it...

JUST KIDDING, BUDDY!

You know you rock! :D

Welcome to the board, Stephen. Don't let it suck up too much of your time! (And PM me if you can't figure out who I am)

thanks for the comments guys (gals?). I know this can be a tough crowd, so it's nice to get some positive feedback.

question 1: "can we shoot the deer". ummm... the dear is sorta me, so that might not send the right message, but it would be cool in a self-depricating kinda way. Maybe I should make a keystroke that gets out a rifle? :)

question 2: Yeah I did make the site myself, and it was a total pain. Its one thing to design for print, which is comparatively easy because you make it and it's done... motion is a bit harder because you have to figure out how to animate your look... but websites are the holy grail of difficulty for me. Interactivity is so tough because you have to anticipate every outcome and possible interaction and then figure out how to script it. It's so agonizingly non-linear. I will never sell services as a website designer after making my site, that's for sure... and it's not even that complex compared to many sites that I see. The scripting code on my site is so hacked together that a real Flash person would be totally horrified.

The only silver lining is that after a bit of ActionScript, the scripting in AE makes a lot more sense, so I'm not as intimidated to learn it more.

Chinaski - I would recognize your ugly mug anywhere. :). Thanks for the comment. Havin' fun on that big'ol'project?

p.s. The world is melting, it's so freakin' hot outside!

quick update. I added a quicktime of a 3d short film that I did earlier this year to the site. There were stills there before, but now that the Stash is out, I can put up the QT. Is it mograph? Um... well... it's all getting sort of grey nowadays

-sf

Edited by monovich

Beautiful site monovich... bad code and all!

Just curious what your experience was like working for Aerodrome? Executive Producer, Jill Katz needed some work done a short while back but I was tighed up with other projects at the time. She put me on file for possible future freelance work. Feel free to PM me if you feel more comfortable that way.

I had seen your work before and recognized it instantly. Well done and keep it up!

Hi!

I was really impressed by your 3D short.

It was really well executed!

Did you work alone on it entirely, concept through to final piece?

What 3D program are you working in?

I really like your shot choices, some of the angled more dramatic shots worked really nicely and made the piece all the more ineteresting.

One small thing I was bothered by was the missing character that would be building wind tower.....however I know this was not a necessary element to the story but it would have been nice, however I know the time involved in creating a "quick" character to pose in some shots...so its no biggie.

But yeah really nice work, plus of course the site and reel was flawless, loved the site...I would hardly say its been "hacked" together.

good work!

haven't had a chance to look it all over, but i did notice a typo on the first page...

interdisciplinary - no E

snap. thanks for the catch.

j-bird. I had a great five years with Aerodrome. I grew from a new motion-designer to getting to direct and pitch some pretty high profile stuff, so it was a very rewarding time.

I would say the stronger the designer you are, the more creative freedom you are given. Sometimes we'd get really challenging projects creatively, and that really made it tough for people with less experience. The more tools you know, the better you'll get along there. 3d is huge.

While I was there, we did cool projects, but we weren't an MTV type shop or doing a lot of projects based on the latest stylistic trend. We worked hard to just give clients what they wanted. I actually wanted to try more design-indulgent work, so that factored into me going out on my own.

Overall they are a great group to work with and I still maintain a collaborative relationship with them from time to time.

Design Pain - Thanks for the comment. Yes I did the entire piece concept through final. In terms of visuals, I was a one man band, which definitely stretched me because I tried a bunch of stuff I didn't know how to do. On the sound side I gave the sound designer total creative freedom. He's a guy who's worked on pretty high profile stuff (like the Matrix Trilogy) so I knew he'd make great sfx. The sound track was done by a guy in the UK that I found on CGTalk. I gave him a reference track that had a good mood and told him to do whatever he wanted also. We nailed the soundtrack in two revisions per act, so that was a great experience also.

I do all my 3d work in Lightwave up until now. Chinaski is dogging me to learn C4d, though, so I may crack soon because it looks like it can do some brilliant stuff very intuitively. Plus C4d is more compatable with many studios these days.

As for the missing character... you said it yourself. Rigging and animating a carachter was a no-go. I have no expertiese in that area so I didn't even try. It would have brought the whole piece down. I tried to work the story so it wouldn't need a character, and have heard from both sides of the fence on that one.

p.s. I didn't mean my site is hacked together design wise, just in the code. :)

nice stuff and an interesting site.

:)

interdisciplinary is spelt incorrectly.

can't get to the Quicktime of your reel :(

edit :D'oh already picked up.

Edited by Ratbaggy

nice stuff and an interesting site.

:)

interdisciplinary is spelt incorrectly.

can't get to the Quicktime of your reel :(

edit :D'oh already picked up.

fixed...

and fixed.

thx for catching that.

by the way I watched your avatar about 50 times last night. great stuff.

Edited by monovich

I decided to add some full length pieces as I get time, so I just added a piece I did for SciFi UK.

the first intro site can be skipped by just going to mono-motion.com

-sf

that scifi thing has a great look/style, with a nice, concise concept. oh how my former coworkers wish sponsor-logo-integration could always be performed that simply.

I've been updating the site (and it's only been a year!).

Recent stuff in the motion section: Subtext and Wired Science. I also added a lot of other older stuff. When I first posted here there was only a reel and the short film.

Recent stuff in the still section: I started putting up boards that I don't have motion for, or boards for pitches that didn't go.

More stuff to be added mid-September and at the end of September.

I'm also hoping to have the furniture site up soon. It's 90% ready to go, but I'm swamped!

www.monovich.com

---------------

edit: I'm curious for feedback on the page buttons. When you pull up a portfolio item that has multiple pages (like Legend or PUB) is it clear that there are multiple pages, or does it get lost?

Edited by monovich

Hey there Monovich!

New stuff is looking great! I really like how the wired science spot turned out. Good job!

Yeah, I kind of missed the page buttons the first go around. Some of the button layout is a little awkward, with the PUB button being tangent to the edge of your window. I keep wanting to drag your movie player to the left when it opens a movie, too.

Glad you're keeping busy!

Monovich, you've been Stephen Fitzgerald all this time? Haha, I never knew. Congratulations, man. I remember running into you at the Starbucks at Western & Hollywood. Your move to Washington explains the mystery of why I never ran into you there again, seeing as that's now my neighborhood, just down the hill from the Miller Mansion.

Awesome website and awesome work!

Love the whole "world" and symbols for the navigation.

The only thing that kinda bothered me was the navigation on the top left corner of the flvs. Minor though...

Anyways, two thumbs up!

Cheers! ;)

Boca