Sign in to follow this  
pixel_pimp

Working off Servers

I am working at a shop that runs all there jobs from servers. I am not quite sure what is running it (I know it is Mac based, maybe even OS X Server.) All I know is that I need to mount a few drives and work, save, and render to and from these drives. I was trying to explain this to a friend of mine at another shop. He wanted to setup his place with a similar setup. Do you think it is just one Xserve with with a bunch of stroage (partioned drives or muliple.) It a nice way to share projects and backup stuff all from one place. Thye also have the Library asa drive, so all the Stock, Artbeast etc is on another drive. It does get slow when everyone is working from the same drive. Anyone have any experinec with this type of setup? Can recommend a way to build a system like this?

I did this at my last job and it worked pretty well. I didn't feel like the Network was bottle-necking the i/o of AE. AE is slow enough on its own.

One problem we had was with Flash development, though. For whatever reason, the Actionscript guy said that he couldn't use the server as he was getting errors for some reason. He was also a very anti-mac Windows guy, so it could have been simple BS. I don't know Flash, so I took his word for it.

I would ALWAYS prefer the work from a server. Things are stored at one place and not cluttered around. It is very easy just to set up one computer with file sharing as a server. Just be sure to have a gigabit switch for the clients ;)