Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Jack Sparrow

Help with flash/dreamweaver

Hey can anyone tell me if its possible to create a website totally like a pop up?

Let me see if I can explain better. For instance you type in your browser www.mograph.net as soon as you hit enter I want the whole website to be just a pop up I have seen pop ups like this but could this be done for a whole website?

Any tutorials and tips would be great.

It's possible. I would suggest going over to a webdesign forum though. Although having a pop up would be kind of anoying and pluss it could get caught by a pop up blocker.

Whenever possible, I copy the URL of those sorts of pop-up sites, close the pop-up window, open a normal sized browser window, paste the URL and look at the site. 9 times out of 10, there's no legitimate design reason to use a pop-up and they just piss me off anyway. Others may feel the same or not.

you have ti put the javascript code that open the popup in the body tag, select the body tag in dreamweaver and go to behaviors / open browser window. i know there are some scripts on the web that can even center that window in the screen.

Hey can anyone tell me if its possible to create a website totally like a pop up?

Let me see if I can explain better. For instance you type in your browser www.mograph.net as soon as you hit enter I want the whole website to be just a pop up I have seen pop ups like this but could this be done for a whole website?

Any tutorials and tips would be great.

Dude, please don't do that shit. It's massively annoying.

If you insist on having a pop-up site, at least warn your users first, and make the pop-up triggered by a mouse click.

What annoys me the most is when a site resizes to take up your whole monitor. That drives me nuts. And 99.9 percent of the time the extra space makes no sense for the design.

What annoys me the most is when a site resizes to take up your whole monitor. That drives me nuts. And 99.9 percent of the time the extra space makes no sense for the design.

I completely agree, although I hate it when a site resizes your browser no matter in what way. I use lots of tabs, and for a website owner to assume I want to use his or her size for everything is bitterly annoying.

Simple solution. Dont do it.

i agree that the popups are lame. but wait... my site rezises to fit your screen. oops. :P

:huh: not on my computer (tried firefox and ie, windows xp professional)

Popups make sense for flash sites, so they open in a window without the browser's back and forth buttons, which don't work properly with most flash sites.

Hi,

I use popups a lot, but only as mentioned before for flashsites (and only if clients and the projects is up for it), there are several ways, automatic (code in html) or by an component in flash, usealy I use both, since a lot of site block the popups.

Even I have the code for mutliple windows making one site; but damm that really anoying. Don't go there, one click besides one window and you'r totaly screwed.

Tell me what you want or take the code (html from my side), it uses both, but the flash component have to be sent in FLA file.

SITE

Olav

Wow I didn't know it was that hated upon. I guess I wont do it then thanks for the great advice guys in my book your opinions do count. I would like to thank the people that tried to help thanx people. As for me I have to get back to the lab again and redesign.

Thanx Olav for the kind offer.

Edited by Capt. Jack Sparrow

I didn’t want to start a new thread so I will try and ask the question here. Well I have a layout for my website created in Photoshop now what I would like to do is have it fully editable in dreamweaver for instance like add buttons and drop down menus is this possible? If so please do tell or refer to a tutorial.

Edited by Capt. Jack Sparrow

I forgot to say that i am already using slices but when I take it into dreamweaver it does not let me edit the layout there. For example I want to update the text or add a drop down menu in dreamweaver.

reopen your layout in imageready, edit, resave..... rinse and repeat.

Macromedia Fireworks does the job even better and speaks directly with Dreamweaver for fast updating, post editing, etc. If you prepare your graphics in Photoshop first you can just do all the visual html stuff in Fireworks (drop down menus, roll-overs, animated gifs, etc).