Sign in to follow this  
graymachine

Way Cool Web Interface

I know this type of 3D interface was big a few years back, but this is really well done. I particularly like the "sign up" sequence. Very cool.

http://www.extrememusic.com/

However, when they quoted me $500 for one music cut, I didn't stick around. Good for big league projects, though.

Edited by graymachine

geez, talk about a intense webmaze of 3d bollocks

interestingly enough, it loads amazingly fast... even with all the superfluous crap. (which means it's actually world beyond most any other flash site)

Guest Sao_bento

It's hard for me to imagine making an intro like that. Crabbey1 might do it though.

*cough*

I'll remain unimpressed until someone puts down all the flying wiz-waz and attempts to create a 3D interface that actually improves the speed, communication, and flow of the site. From everything I've seen... 3D websites mean 2D websites with 3D transitions.

I'd rather stare at clean CSS.

-m

It doesn't improve the navigation, but it creates a long lasting impression.

From all the clean CSS sites i've seen there are not too many that really stand out and make me remember them.

Clean, usable CSS = good for informational sites

Animation / 3D / Flash = good for promotional sites

that's what I think

Guest bne meyrs

Regardless of if this is style is over the top or has a bad rap, it is still impressive.

At least they are trying to take web design to another level rather than sitting on their hands. I know that internet bandwidths aren't capable of handling sites much like this all the time, but I think that time is quickly approaching.

I agree with Igor in that it does leave an impression, which in my opinion, is sometimes more important than the loadtime itself. I know from looking at BillyBussey.com that this guy knows what the hell hes doing and he's trying to further himself from his competition.

-bne

Guest bne meyrs

why does it say "Billy Bussey Sucks" in the bottom left of his site?

because apparantly this board thinks he DOES.

At least they are trying to take web design to another level rather than sitting on their hands. I know that internet bandwidths aren't capable of handling sites much like this all the time, but I think that time is quickly approaching.

I agree with Igor in that it does leave an impression, which in my opinion, is sometimes more important than the loadtime itself. I know from looking at BillyBussey.com that this guy knows what the hell hes doing and he's trying to further himself from his competition.

-bne

We may have to agree to disagree, cause I think it's flare. No more.

The impression it left with me is that it is just as incomplete and under construction today as it was the first day I saw it (have you been many levels deep?). It also left me with the impression that he is still in "3D-robotic-frame" mode, which just doesn't do it for me. That's not taking it to the next level, IMO. Tokyoplastic took it to the next level.

-m

Guest bne meyrs

We may have to agree to disagree, cause I think it's flare. No more.

The impression it left with me is that it is just as incomplete and under construction today as it was the first day I saw it (have you been many levels deep?). It also left me with the impression that he is still in "3D-robotic-frame" mode, which just doesn't do it for me. That's not taking it to the next level, IMO. Tokyoplastic took it to the next level.

-m

Firstly, I did not know that this site has been "under construction" for the amount of time that it was. I can see that if you first saw this site at the time that it was released and look at it again today, his lack of work on the site can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. BUT... I do think that the navigation and design used on the site as a whole is quite slick, even in todays standards... which says a lot because this site was probably made like 5 years ago.

I agree that the site lacks content, but I think that getting to those multitude of "coming soon" banners are quite the enjoyable ride, imo. :P

That said, i really think this dude does not suck, by any means.

Guest Sao_bento

I can't believe anyone can get past the intro - it's more than I can stomach. Maybe it was just a bad call, talking about yourself in the 3rd person, calling yourself a visionary, etc.

Like 2Advanced, this guy is a magnet for hate from designers, but the rest of the world doesn't see him through our eyes. The reason it's not updated is because the guy is clocking major dollars. In another 5 years, when the cash flow slows, he'll do it all over again, and we'll be reading these threads again. Mean while he'll be cruising around Ibiza on a yacht with Eric Jordan and Jay Z.

This can be a frustrating business.

I can't believe anyone can get past the intro - it's more than I can stomach. Maybe it was just a bad call, talking about yourself in the 3rd person, calling yourself a visionary, etc.

Like 2Advanced, this guy is a magnet for hate from designers, but the rest of the world doesn't see him through our eyes. The reason it's not updated is because the guy is clocking major dollars. In another 5 years, when the cash flow slows, he'll do it all over again, and we'll be reading these threads again. Mean while he'll be cruising around Ibiza on a yacht with Eric Jordan and Jay Z.

This can be a frustrating business.

Sao, has it always boiled down to integrity versus money for you? I, honestly, can't imagine you letting go of the first one.

*edit* Sorry, didn't mean that to be specific to Sao.

Has it always boiled down to integrity versus money for you?

(Maybe it's the wrong thread to ask, anyhow.)

Edited by isotrope

Guest Sao_bento

Sao, has it always boiled down to integrity versus money for you? I, honestly, can't imagine you letting go of the first one.

*edit* Sorry, didn't mean that to be specific to Sao.

Has it always boiled down to integrity versus money for you?

(Maybe it's the wrong thread to ask, anyhow.)

I think it's just about perspective. Sometimes you have to be able to step back and take a look at the big picture. If you're an artist, make art. If you're in business, make it a successful one. There is integrity in doing a good job regardless of which goal you are after. I'd guess that most of us are out to make a successful business out of motion graphics - pretending that you're going to be a millionaire by doing nothing but knocking off fuse IDs for the rest of your life isn't really the definition of success. BB is doing what we have all set out to do (I can't believe I'm defending this guy). I don't really care for his work or his attitude, but I respect his success.

If your main goal is to maintain artistic integrity, stay away from businesses based on advertising (graphic design, motion graphics, etc).