Sign in to follow this  
yoni bendor

a way of Replacing lights with PSD files ?

Hi,

I was wondering, I did this whole cinema 4d -afx tutorial and I came to this line where the guy says: "Now switch the lights with the image you want placed in the composition so it will inherit the Position values etc..."

right I am doing this now manually (copying all the keyframes and pasting them in the relevant) cause I couldn't figure out HOW do I actually switch light layer with another file , I tried dragging from one screen to the "timeline" window but for some reason it will only paste above or beneath...

Thanks!

Guest bne meyrs

Hi,

I was wondering, I did this whole cinema 4d -afx tutorial and I came to this line where the guy says: "Now switch the lights with the image you want placed in the composition so it will inherit the Position values etc..."

right I am doing this now manually (copying all the keyframes and pasting them in the relevant) cause I couldn't figure out HOW do I actually switch light layer with another file , I tried dragging from one screen to the "timeline" window but for some reason it will only paste above or beneath...

Thanks!

highlight the light in the timeline. select the psd in the assets window. Option+drag the psd onto the light. cant remember what the key is for pc, but its one of those ones near the space bar haha. :P

highlight the light in the timeline. select the psd in the assets window. Option+drag the psd onto the light. cant remember what the key is for pc, but its one of those ones near the space bar haha. :P

it's the alt key

Also, what/where is the tutorial your working on? i was looking for one a couple of weeks ago

i think he was talking about using lights from c4d for compositing in AE. you just copy the position parameters from c4d and paste it over the position of the psd (making sure it's a 3d layer).

of course, new c4d has a tag which makes any object you apply it to show up in the AE comp. this was discussed recently...

Edited by mete_shop

Yeah, definitely use the "External Compositing" tag in the new 9.6 version. You don't have to deal with swapping out the lights and it creates a solid that you can actually straight up swap footage with in AE as mentioned above. It's cool that that tutorial is posted by a guy from Stardust. I will have to look through those!

Waaahhh!!! I have 9.5 and cant find any such tag!! I've been having wet dreams about this feature!! No go in 9.5????

I think you need 9.6. It's a free upgrade from Maxon's web site.

the studio daily tutorial is nice, but it talks about using C4D lights for your positions in AE (that's the old approach) - the new C4D 9.6 "external composting" tag does a much better job

I made a quick tutorial about this if anyone is interested.

http://www.slowdog.com/C4D-AE

mike

700 K zip file

Requires C4D 9.6 and AE7

dude, nice tutorials BUT WHY CANT I open the .mov files?

Says something about NOT being a movie file...

?

Thanks anyways

the .c4d / . aep files ares super useful by themselves

hmm, I don't know. I crunched them down with sorenson 3 to make the tutorial smaller - but can't most people work with sorenson 3 quicktime?

you can re-generate them yourself with the C4D file - I just included them to make it easier

are you on a mac or PC?

mike

Replacing lights has always worked perfectly for me, and it seems just as simple as adding the Compositing tag would probably be (3 clicks - you're done, right?). What's the benefit of doing it with the tag instead? (aside from it being the "official" right way to do it).

AARRGH! so excited about this nice shiny tag, but when i open the AEC in AE there's nothin but the same old lights and cameras! Do i need an update for the Composition import as well???

After some research i found that I do indeed need a new Import plug but alas;Maxon is fronting the old ones, and when i did the free update I didnt get no folder with new exchange plug ins either. Could someone post the latest "CINEMA4DAE. aex"? It's a freebie so no probs right?

hmm, I don't know. I crunched them down with sorenson 3 to make the tutorial smaller - but can't most people work with sorenson 3 quicktime?

you can re-generate them yourself with the C4D file - I just included them to make it easier

are you on a mac or PC?

mike

I couldn't open the movies either. I'm on windoze at the moment. I can try on a Mac later.

After some research i found that I do indeed need a new Import plug but alas;Maxon is fronting the old ones, and when i did the free update I didnt get no folder with new exchange plug ins either. Could someone post the latest "CINEMA4DAE. aex"? It's a freebie so no probs right?

The plugin for 6.5 works just fine in 7. That's the latest and greatest and should be in your Maxon Exchange folder.

Replacing lights has always worked perfectly for me, and it seems just as simple as adding the Compositing tag would probably be (3 clicks - you're done, right?). What's the benefit of doing it with the tag instead? (aside from it being the "official" right way to do it).

The composite tag creates solids that you can just swap footage for saving some time and I am not sure if the lights took in rotation factor as data or not, but the external composite tag does.

Edited by BOY:1:DER

Guest Sao_bento

can anyone here please send me the latest C4D - AEX plugin cause I just found it the one I have is on the maxon website and appearntly it WILL not load External compositing tags

it shipped with the software. Look on the CD.

I HAVE IT !

It says After Effects 6.5 though, it doesnt say version 7 and still after I tried to work with it instead of exporting my nulls as SOLIDS I just get camera + lights :-(

You actually may be missing a step. When you export your file from C4D you have to make sure you check the '3D Data' box next to the 'Save...' button in your render settings and you have to make sure that you choose a path and file name in your save field in that same panel, it doesn't matter what it's called and it won't save a file, but it needs to be there. Try that.