Sign in to follow this  
da nny

AE Shadows and Depth

I have some footage keyed out from green screen and i want to composite the footage in front of some gradients.How would i create shadows on the footage in After effects to add some form of depth or what can i do to the gradients to add some sort of perspective

Guest Sao_bento

I have some footage keyed out from green screen and i want to composite the footage in front of some gradients.How would i create shadows on the footage in After effects to add some form of depth or what can i do to the gradients to add some sort of perspective

You should describe what it is you're trying to do, etc with more detail if you expect to get many useful answers. Things shot with a camera already have perspective and shading. Shadows on which footage? The greenscreen or the grade?

you are right about the structure of the message and the question...

I guess it is about using the keyed footage as a 2.5D layer...

just key the footage... get the clean matte... use the keyed footage it as a 2.5D (aka 3D) layer and use a ligth... with some surface layers to get the shadows... and thats all...

Usually I duplicate the keyed layer, then I tint the bottom layer to black, add a lot of blur, lower the opacity, then apply corner pin effect and distort it like it's on the floor. I'm sure there's an effect that does that, but I didn't do much search :)

Is that what you were asking about?

Usually I duplicate the keyed layer, then I tint the bottom layer to black, add a lot of blur, lower the opacity, then apply corner pin effect and distort it like it's on the floor. I'm sure there's an effect that does that, but I didn't do much search :)

Is that what you were asking about?

Yes tats what i was asking about.Sorry for not being too clear at first but i am trying to create shadows of the keyed footage to fall on the gradient.The shadows should fall and create a feeling of a floor.

Thanx element and Symbolic.Will try out both your suggestions.

Yes tats what i was asking about.Sorry for not being too clear at first but i am trying to create shadows of the keyed footage to fall on the gradient.The shadows should fall and create a feeling of a floor.

Thanx element and Symbolic.Will try out both your suggestions.

Using a 3D solid for a floor and casting shadows with an AE light (from the subject to the floor) yields quite excellent results. I've done fake jib shots like this.

Not saying this is the awesome-est thing ever, but that's how I did this shot:

shadowCast.jpg

Original shot was full screen on a green screen, and I did a fake jib shot on her. It worked for what it was.. "TV news promo".

Using a 3D solid for a floor and casting shadows with an AE light (from the subject to the floor) yields quite excellent results. I've done fake jib shots like this.

Not saying this is the awesome-est thing ever, but that's how I did this shot:

shadowCast.jpg

Original shot was full screen on a green screen, and I did a fake jib shot on her. It worked for what it was.. "TV news promo".

Hey, that's much better from what I was doing. Silly me, how come I didn't think of that :) thanks graymachine

Hey, that's much better from what I was doing. Silly me, how come I didn't think of that :) thanks graymachine

No prob. If you use a Spot Light, you notice that the blur/opacity of the shadow trail off into the distance.

the trick with this shot was the feet. I couldn't get the subject and the feet and the floor to all agree with each other spatially, so I had to position her with her feet cut-off, and then roto the feet back in with a track matte on the floor solid. Fortunately, her feet were mostly stationary, not requiring a lot of frame by frame adjustment.

No prob. If you use a Spot Light, you notice that the blur/opacity of the shadow trail off into the distance.

the trick with this shot was the feet. I couldn't get the subject and the feet and the floor to all agree with each other spatially, so I had to position her with her feet cut-off, and then roto the feet back in with a track matte on the floor solid. Fortunately, her feet were mostly stationary, not requiring a lot of frame by frame adjustment.

Really cool technique.Thanks.i'll try it out