Sign in to follow this  
Chinaski

Clouds

wow great clouds and topic.

I am new to C4D and I was thinking how to make clouds in C4D. Looking for tutorials... but this topic is really nice.

Thanks for sharing all this stuff guys. I really appreciate it.

Alright...

This last week had some of the best weather NYC has seen all summer so I spent most of the time outside with real clouds, so no new cloud experiments. However, I do like to throw a little something in the pot whenever Chinaski contributes to keep things interesting. So I whipped up a quick-dirty animated cloud example:

monkeyClouds_02.jpg

(movie) (c4d file)

It's just a single cloud mass stripped down for speed (pretty fast for pyro), but you can add shadows and such later as you need them. This example uses a rolling particle emitter and some friction. The friction is only there to keep the particles "clustered" towards the end of their lifespan so that they don't stray too far from the main group. For more specific cloud shapes (especially ones that require flat bottoms) I usually have two or three different TP Groups with slightly different pyro settings that follow spline paths (in which case the friction isn't needed).

-m

Thanks for the c4d. This site is truly a treasure trove.

Gday mate, first of all great clouds, damn nice reproduction, just a couple of questions, relatively new to pyrocluster however I've bashed my way through and managed to come up with a fairly good explosion. But my question is for clouds, the matter waves way seems perfect for creating a sky but I need to know how to stop the seed so my clouds can be still? I'm animating somthing falling through them rather than evolving so I'm not interested in movement from the clouds point of view, any idea how to do this? also I can't seem to get the lights to colorize my clouds, all the box's are ticked ( I think). The light seems to be affecting the cloud, but no joy for colorization. Man if you could help me here that would be awesome!??

Cheers

Joos

For still clouds...

Try emitting only for 1 frame and make sure to turn off all age parameters in the pyrocluster material. Also, kill any velocity/spin/rotation/etc. that your particles might have.

For colorization, are you using colored lights? That should work... Keep playing around. You'll get it.

Wow nice clouds Chinaski way better then my attempt. A different example more of a flying through a cloud but here was my first attempt at it using a standard particle generator. link

I'm learning TP now so hope to get something as good as yours! Those are the best clouds I've seen in C4D!

Thanks! Yours are looking pretty good!

At some point I will post some clouds done with Houdini and volumetric smoke/fluid simulation, which looks really amazing - way better than pyrocluster clouds.

For still clouds...

Try emitting only for 1 frame and make sure to turn off all age parameters in the pyrocluster material. Also, kill any velocity/spin/rotation/etc. that your particles might have.

For colorization, are you using colored lights? That should work... Keep playing around. You'll get it.

Thanks! Yours are looking pretty good!

At some point I will post some clouds done with Houdini and volumetric smoke/fluid simulation, which looks really amazing - way better than pyrocluster clouds.

Would love to see those. I just downloaded the apprentice version of Houdini to get into the procedural particle stuff for a few personal projects I'm working on. I downloaded the fluids videos from their site to get started. Any tips?

wow, Chinaski, that second cloud test looks awesome!

I had to make clouds a while back, thankfully they where static, but they did need to be volumetric ( around a floating island). Ended up just putting a matrix object on geometry and then apply pyrocluster to the particles. Stupid cloud object was too blocky, and i couldn't increase the steps...

now you guys have made me want to experiment with clouds. will have to see what i can come up with..

For what it's worth, the techniques described in this video are the best way to go about doing clouds (sorry, not in C4D's domain) that I've seen:

http://cmivfx.com/tutorials/view/280/Houdini+Fractals

I recently did some pretty cool cloud work on a project using the volume displacement technique. Hopefully I can post some of it in a month or so...

Some other information (siggraph papers) here:

http://tessendorf.org/reports.html