Sign in to follow this  
graymachine

The Definitive Motion Graphics Dictionary

So many times, I've been in a facility or design house where someone has throw out a term that everyone seems to know it means, except the new guy/freelancer. Often it's a company term, sometimes just an industry term. I thought it would be useful if people start posting these terms/slang here to have a reference for those that do not want to look stupid and ask. I'll start out with a few that come to mind:

Snipe : Lower third animation used to promote another show or product during a television show.

MTL : "Meeting theme logo". The definitive logo design used in a presentation or live show, often (but not exclusive to) a PowerPoint presentation.

317 : Logo screens thrown at the end of a live television show to give thanks to companies that did not buy air time, but provided services for production and receive a token 'thank you' at the end of the show

Guest Sao_bento

Sizzle Tape: TV network affiliate talk for a demo reel used to sell advertising to local clients.

Guest Sao_bento

I'm sorry if this is a stupid request or a daft question, but could someone post the definition(s) for Spec?

kinojay33's thread about creative spec ideas and Rothermel's No!Spec link got me wondering if I really understand how you guys use it.

(I'll remove my post afterwards.)

oh... and thank you :)

Spec is short for "speculative". My little dictionary has a great definition - "undertaken on the chance of success". This means you do work for free, in hopes that you are awarded the job, which will actually pay. Unfortunately, this is common practice for ad agencies. The reality is that it hurts us all.

what is the technical name for the "coming up next" screen that slides on before a programme starts.

Usually called a 'top tag', but it could be part of a menu page as well.

Edited by thomwill

Guest Tiggergalore§

'ipi' - in picture ident, similiar to a 'bug' - a wee-small logo either in the top or bottom corner of the t.v

what is the technical name for the "coming up next" screen that slides on before a programme starts.

if you're talking about during the actual show, before and after going to commercial, we refer to those as "bumpers". maybe thats what they call them between programs also, but im not sure about that.

if you're talking about during the actual show, before and after going to commercial, we refer to those as "bumpers". maybe thats what they call them between programs also, but im not sure about that.

Or.. "Bump Out" to commercial and "Bump In" from commercial.

Spec is short for "speculative". The reality is that it hurts us all.

Yup. Just like dating. The girl that sleeps with you so easily will never be your wife.

317 : Logo screens thrown at the end of a live television show to give thanks to companies that did not buy air time, but provided services for production and receive a token 'thank you' at the end of the show

also known as a billboard

Mortise or Action Window: refering to a video window.

iv'e heard the term billboard used more.

Billboards are the actual sponsors.. 317s are "promotional considerations".. ie free wardrobe, makeup, in exchange for a mention at the end.

Guest Sao_bento

My favorite term for a lower third came from a Canadian producer who called it a "plynth".

P.S. A "Lower Third" is the graphic across the lower third of the screen that has someone's name and title on it.

'Tophat' is score information along the screentop safety line on sports broadcasts, usually seen on Fox Sports.

Doesn't this kind of thing, along with every other little thing Sao is talking about in his sig line, kinda cry out for a...dare I say it out loud...Mograph Wiki?

Edited by govinda

Guest Sao_bento

'Tophat' is score information along the screentop safety line on sports broadcasts, usually seen on Fox Sports.

Doesn't this kind of thing, along with every other little thing Sao is talking about in his sig line, kinda cry out for a...dare I say it out loud...Mograph Wiki?

You are correct, sir!

My favorite term for a lower third came from a Canadian producer who called it a "plynth".

P.S. A "Lower Third" is the graphic across the lower third of the screen that has someone's name and title on it.

In the UK, Lower Thirds are also called 'Straps', but i worked with a direcctor who called them 'Astons' - never heard them refered to that way...

In the UK, Lower Thirds are also called 'Straps', but i worked with a direcctor who called them 'Astons' - never heard them refered to that way...

Aston is a old school broadcast CG, like here they are were called "Chyrons" and now "Dekos", usually only heard in an on air environment though...

"Straps" is the closest to what i know - heard it in the uk a lot too.

Also, in romania they're called the equivalent (not really translatable) of "belly straps" :)