Sign in to follow this  
Guest rodrigo

Zoom Sequence

Guest rodrigo

Alright, I'm sure all of you are familiar with those sequences which usually start out in space, and keep zooming in closer and closer into something on the earth. The Hummer commercial comes to mind.

Anyone know of any other similar sequence from a commercial, movie, show, or anything? I've seen plenty, I just can't think of one.

Guest Nick

The movie Contact has the ultimate in 10X zoom shots. The DVD has a feature on how they did it. Caaaaarazy!

Nick

Guest firemind

Respect to those zoom-ins that don't use a layer of clouds to mask transitions or use obvious morph effects.

Guest pokeitwithastick

men in black had a backwards one at the end didn't it?

If you wanna do one the nasa website has series of photos zooming into earth http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/ and search for 'zoom' i think they are copyright free but dont take my word for it :oops:

Guest SermonOfMockery

yeah nasa photos are be public domain AFAIK, like GIS maps and stuff, because they're paid for with tax money

Guest rodrigo

Wow, excellent spot. Would you mind divulging on how you achieved that zoom sequence? Your sources?

Guest chinovian

i didn't have anything to do with this project, but it looks like a lot of picture assets masked as seperate elements in something like photoshop and manipulated with elaborate camera-moves [3D], blurs, and maybe even some shine plugin for the zoom-ins in AE.

shine plugin: http://www.trapcode.com/products_shine.html

another way you could do this is also making 'billboards' in a 3D package like maya. essentially a plane with an image-map assigned to it with an alpha-channel. then camera-move away with a 2D blur on render. [don't forget your yxz camera set-up before you start roaming to prevent ugly gimbal locks]. . enjoy!

Guest Rhino

I did one recently...

www.thewhiterhinoromance.com

It's in the Visual effects section. :)

Guest rodrigo

That's awesome Rhino. Care to elaborate somewhat on how you did it? Also, what sources for high-res images did you use?