Sign in to follow this  
Chinaski

NFL on FOX

NFL on FOX Opening titles

Full Credit List here

Finished this up a couple weeks ago. It was a ton of hard work, but, in the end, I think it came out great. It was my first real chance to collaborate closely with the 3D department at Blur.

The main part of my job was Art Director and Designer of the midsection of the spot. In addition, I built the metal-grated stadium, the big numbers, all the graphic elements, and did a little bit of animation in that section, as well.

The main part of my job was Art Director and Designer of the midsection of the spot. In addition, I built the metal-grated stadium, the big numbers, all the graphic elements, and did a little bit of animation in that section, as well.

Nice work, man. I'm wondering about the process behind this. So you art directed one piece, how many other art directors were there? Did you all have similar creative visions, any impasses?

Guest Sao_bento

Nice work, man. I'm wondering about the process behind this. So you art directed one piece, how many other art directors were there? Did you all have similar creative visions, any impasses?

Yes, any insight into the creative process would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a little info on the creative process, and just a bit on the tech side, too:

Client came to us with an animatic that featured one robot player running through a field of numbers. They wanted us to improve the animatic and redesign the midsection to feel very different than the normal stadium.

While animation layout was being worked on, concept designers began making drawings of the robots, redesigning them, while modeling on the stadium and logo began. Because my job was to design the midesction and there was no stadium and no robot, I had some lag time behind the modelers. In the end, though, we couldn't wait for the models to be finished, so I comped some photos together, using the original robot, to create the initial style frames.

There were 4 main people involved with the art direction of the spot, the 2 creative directors on the job, the art director for the bookends, and me, for the middle. I would say, for the most part, we all had similar visions. Of course, 4 artists in a room will have 4 different opinions, so there were disagreements on things, but nothing major. I worked very closely with the other art director to make sure our stuff would mesh and there would be some sense of continuity between the two environments.

The revised style frame featured the finished robot and untextured versions of the defender bots, but the midsection stadium still had to be built. After the client approved the style frame, I built the stadium floor and numbers. At this point, animation layout was pretty much finished.

After that, some professional football players were brought in for a mocap session. With the final animations in the spot, the main scene assembler, who at this point had taken over for the other art director, started breaking out render passes and we honed in on the final look. And then came all the FX work and endless tweaks that go into a project like this.

Here are some images that may be interesting to some of you. As you can see, the initial frames are not as good as the finished product, but they get the point across.

EDIT. Sorry. Had to remove these images.

Edited by Chinaski

As always Chinaski, that was incredible. Thanks so much for posting your additional insight on project development.

I concur. It's great to read more about the process.

That stadium floor texturing job is awesome.

I guess there's more than meets the eye.

Sweet. Thanks for the insight. So many people working on the same project and no major snags, I'm in awe.

Also I just noticed Troika created the identity for FSN 'Final Score' that has the same look:

http://www.troika.tv/project_FSN_003/project_main.html

Did Troika set the style or did you guys? Or did a seperate agency create this iron grill w/black n yellow look that is present in both packages? Sorry, maybe I'm asking too many annoying questions.

I congratulate you sir and look forward to your next masterpiece.

Sweet. Thanks for the insight. So many people working on the same project and no major snags, I'm in awe.

Also I just noticed Troika created the identity for FSN 'Final Score' that has the same look:

http://www.troika.tv/project_FSN_003/project_main.html

Did Troika set the style or did you guys? Or did a seperate agency create this iron grill w/black n yellow look that is present in both packages? Sorry, maybe I'm asking too many annoying questions.

I congratulate you sir and look forward to your next masterpiece.

That's the first time I've seen that stuff from Troika. Great stuff! We were working with a style guide provided by FOX. Not sure who initiated it. There are a lot of fingers in that pie, including FOX's internal designers and several companies that I know of. Makes sense that guide got passed around, as that is part of network branding - some networks like to have a consistent look to their programming. All the show package design was already in place when we started the job, so our stuff more-or-less was meant to fit in with it.