Sign in to follow this  
UNIKFREK

UNIKFREK_REALDEAL_REEL_2.21

ur hot ;)

besides that, i think you have an interesting intro w the sound design. the countdown is nice and simple, but still seems to be at the beggining stages of concept. push your ideas. the pink card hurts my eyes.the smear effect seems like its there to jus be there. seems like you didnt pay enough attention to the typography on the lips. i like how clean the next piece is w the aeroplane, looks like some timing issues.i like the dandy warholes pieca alot. looked like fun. the next one has potential. action girls seems poorly thought out and poorly executed. she got pimped..... hmm. seen these chicks on the fax. dark angels shine? TEN ID had some nice editing. action girls title looks generic. I like the wedding idea. i like the editing on the pink star lapdance chick. i like the time remapping on the next chick. boob squad... poorly thought out and poor execution. the last piece is coo. i think the main thing is to spend more time on concepting and executing. these seemed rally rushed. ur strong point is ur editing.

Edited by postmodern

well you know ur demographic...

your using some low-quality images, and bitmaps where u could be using vectors.

your keyframing could use smoothing & get rid of the countdown. pink/green color pallette is a little passe. the lips have rough edges, learn alpha mattes and blurs.

Guest Sao_bento

It's interesting stuff (not just because of the naked chicks). It looks like you guys must have a lot of fun making this stuff - there's plenty of DIY footage and a wide range of crazy aesthetics. I'm surprised this isn't considered too "edgy" for the demo. Good work though.

yeehaw post bongrip superstar overlords!

I think you should re-construct your version of crazy girls and put it in there. It's righteous.

I think if you got rid of the shine on dark angels it would still be good to keep it for variety's sake.

sweet.

OK...I get it. Dark Angels sucks. I should've known that. It sucked making it. Had to re-make it for a project here and copy someone else's already crappy work. Right. I threw it in the reel just for variety's sake [doesn't match the style I usually work with].

:H Yes, I truly appreciate all the feedback [as brutually harsh as it is]. My main thing is this: I want to show diversity and good thought process in my work. And yes, most of my work is pretty damn lo-fi. But that's my thing. It may not be the hippest or the flashiest, but it's where I'm at right now.

<_< And as for the "bad typography" on the Just 18 & Desperate intro [the Lips] - I think the type is valid. The rest of the package for the show goes on to show the juxtaposition of the virginal and naive girls [Just 18] versus the not so virginal and very experienced bad girls [desperate]. So yes, I chose two opposing typefaces symbolizing the different personalities.

On another note...how much should one worry about a reel affecting/impressing other designers? After all, the people usually hiring us are not designers themselves. Yes, a Creative Director may be well versed in design principles, but is he gonna be hung up on my use of Shine?

Work around here is definitely "rushed" 90% of the time. And as for the DIY aesthetic, that's totally the case. It's all a matter of finding something that will work and is able to be used. In my time here, there has rarely been a case where I have been given any footage to work with. Everything is made from scratch on a budget of next to nothing.

Most of this work comes from show packages which involve plenty of pieces, so taken out of context, things might not make much sense.

As for the "edgy factor" and our demographic, thank God that this aesthetic has worked thus far. :D Our audience tends to be a lot younger and hipper than the traditional Playboy audience. We have a lot of creative leverage with certain assets - so that's definitely a plus.

Its a personal judgement call on that one.. You can reject criticism from your peers or you can take a step back and think about it. Generally it seems to me that critiques on mograph are to help fellow mographers and though it may not matter to your current clients it may matter in the long run.

On another note...how much should one worry about a reel affecting/impressing other designers? After all, the people usually hiring us are not designers themselves. Yes, a Creative Director may be well versed in design principles, but is he gonna be hung up on my use of Shine?

Design principles are the standards we have, designers/directors are typically well versed in those standards. Their criticism/observation comes from a place of knowledge, as opposed to opinion, and is therefore of a higher order than the average Joe. When I want an opinion on something that matters (graphics-wise), I ask the best designers I know, not my girlfriend, not my parents, not my cat. Random street level opinions can help you benchmark some things, but are still street level. They won't be hiring you for your next spot. A creative director (if he/she is worthy of the title) should be well enough aware of current trends/styles/applications to make a sound call on the look and feel of a spot and whether or not Shine (or comic sans, or ink drips, etc) are appropriate or not.

Oh, and by the way, I liked your reel. Defs hella sexy.

I definitely wanna know what needs work with my reel, especially from you guys. You are the ones that matter the most to me... :H :H :H

Overall, the point is to get the reel to the most effective form possible. With your comments, I will begin to work again.

Thank you. And thank you, again.

And please, feel free to give more comments. :D

Guest Sao_bento

Design principles are the standards we have, designers/directors are typically well versed in those standards. Their criticism/observation comes from a place of knowledge, as opposed to opinion, and is therefore of a higher order than the average Joe. When I want an opinion on something that matters (graphics-wise), I ask the best designers I know, not my girlfriend, not my parents, not my cat. Random street level opinions can help you benchmark some things, but are still street level. They won't be hiring you for your next spot. A creative director (if he/she is worthy of the title) should be well enough aware of current trends/styles/applications to make a sound call on the look and feel of a spot and whether or not Shine (or comic sans, or ink drips, etc) are appropriate or not.

Oh, and by the way, I liked your reel. Defs hella sexy.

I think the process is just to ask yourself why things are there. In some cases, Shine may be totally appropriate - it gets a bad rap from all the times people use it when it's not. Like Govinda's example of a History Channel spot that, for no relevant reason, uses spray paint. That's bad no matter what.

Creative directors and even the regular mortal on the street are going to recognize when something is an appropriate for the tone of the message. That's the baseline - from there, just knock it out of the park.

It's interesting stuff (not just because of the naked chicks). It looks like you guys must have a lot of fun making this stuff - there's plenty of DIY footage and a wide range of crazy aesthetics. I'm surprised this isn't considered too "edgy" for the demo. Good work though.

Actually, I was just thinking "This is interesting stuff, mostly BECAUSE of the naked chicks" ;)

I think the process is just to ask yourself why things are there. In some cases, Shine may be totally appropriate - it gets a bad rap from all the times people use it when it's not. Like Govinda's example of a History Channel spot that, for no relevant reason, uses spray paint. That's bad no matter what.

Creative directors and even the regular mortal on the street are going to recognize when something is an appropriate for the tone of the message. That's the baseline - from there, just knock it out of the park.

I think you're completely right on that. If it feels right, and there is a purpose to using it, then it's probably appropriate. I've never been a fan of using EFX just for the sake of using EFX. Not my style.

Another thing - Do you guys and gals think I need to cut back on the nudity? Is it too lewd or offensive to show to potential clients?

Edited by UNIKFREK

Guest Sao_bento

I think you're completely right on that. If it feels right, and there is a purpose to using it, then it's probably appropriate. I've never been a fan of using EFX just for the sake of using EFX. Not my style.

Another thing - Do you guys and gals think I need to cut back on the nudity? Is it too lewd or offensive to show to potential clients?

Isn't nudity the core theme of the channel? I get what you're saying, there are ways to cut around it, but don't go so far as to skew the meaning or make it seem like you're embarrassed or unconfident. As long as you make sure people know what they're going to see, I'd trust them to be adults about it. It's not gonna get you a job at the BYU film dept., but that's probably for the best anyway.

It's not gonna get you a job at the BYU film dept., but that's probably for the best anyway.

:D I think I went to high school with a bunch of future BYU kids...maybe our high school theatre connection will help get my foot in the door :lol:

Its not about how much you show.. Its how you show it. I wouldn't say you have too much but I would'nt say it makes your reel better. Skills over content first.. Kinda my philosophy.

Edited by silatix

Its not about how much you show.. Its how you show it. I wouldn't say you have to much but I would'nt say it makes your reel better. Skills over content first.. Kinda my philosophy.

Exactly what I heard from a creative director from Buck.