Sign in to follow this  
govinda

Mograph Wiki

I've been thinking about this for a little bit. There needs to be a mograph wiki. It'd be a place where you could go to learn how to make NTSC into PAL, how to think about pixel aspect ratio, types of video, compositing math, rotoscopy... It'd have articles on tutorials and software companies and various forums... And then above that it'd be a place for references to the various motion graphics companies.

A wiki would solve a lot of the problems of people coming here with duplicate requests because basically it'd obliterate about half the Cow posts and about one in twenty mograph posts. And of course one mod here would have to redo his sig-line.

What would it take? The freeware wiki software is out there, so it just takes people. Someone to host it. Someone to lead it. A bunch of good people on a board of advisors. A lot of random visitors to write articles. A lot of knowledgeable mods to ride herd on the articles. We have most of the talent for this right here on a daily basis, and what we don't have we can ask for.

I tend to take on personal projects far to big for myself, so instead of caching this idea in the govindabrain, I'm airing it out. I was away for awhile, so I'm not sure if this has come up.

Just the other day, it became obvious that this idea wasn't out there in the wilderness alone. The CGWiki just launched at CGTalk.

Guest Sao_bento

Definitely makes sense. It would be so much easier than re-writing the same answers all the time.

i dont think PAL is covered in the eastern philosophies class.

Yeah, we covered SMPTE timecode in my Contemporary American Literature classes, but only from a metaphorical perspective. Dropframe = existential angst. That sort of thing.

This is a cool idea, I've been thinking about the same thing for a while, but hardly have any time to devote to it.

I own a domain name that I'd be willing to give up for this. it's motionfront.net

If you go there you'll see an old project that I started but never finished. Sort of a resources site...

Anyway, like I said, not much time to help put it together, but if people like this domain name, I'll point it wherever and keep it registered.

This is a cool idea, I've been thinking about the same thing for a while, but hardly have any time to devote to it.

I own a domain name that I'd be willing to give up for this. it's motionfront.net

If you go there you'll see an old project that I started but never finished. Sort of a resources site...

Anyway, like I said, not much time to help put it together, but if people like this domain name, I'll point it wherever and keep it registered.

That url sounds good to me. If you want to point it to ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com and ns3.dreamhost.com, I can probably have a running installation of MediaWiki up by the end of the day.

That's a cool URL, but I think it should be something like:

MographWiki.com

MotionWiki.com

...to make it obvious that it's a community-built thing, a wiki, right from the start.

But still it's getting ahead of things. There needs to be some moderator base including people among who're technical like Marco Bacich, Sao, Rick Gerard, Stu Maschwitz, those kinds of people, along with some who keep track of the field, and also some who know design, and hopefully the Venn diagram for those three groups overlaps with a third--people who're willing and committed.

There's also AeWiki, but I don't think it gets much traffic.

I think we should start one. I'd be willing to help out. For my personal wiki I use Pmwiki... it's pretty nice and very customizable. Sites with that basic MediaWiki skin makes me cringe. We should do it up nice.

There's also the big issue of organization - finding a starting framework that all the users can build upon. I'll start thinking about it.

Edited by yuppster

Heh, I was hoping the yuppster would be game. You know, even though I'm talking like my opinion matters (it doesn't really), I think it'd be best if there was no ownership per se. I wonder how naive that sounds? Is that a bad idea? Someone has to pay a little for this, and if a few people pitch in, it's defrayed.

Anyway, I just personally want to be involved, organizing, writing and editing for clarity. For a time at least, I'll work on it a lot. I just have to get finished with these steenking all-consuming jobs I'm on until mid-October.

I went to the AEWiki as I was thinking about this, but it's only AE. I'm amazed that the Cow people haven't done this (and I searched).

Anyone else want to be involved? Anyone who's serious should I guess PM or email me (seemoleon (at) earthlink), and maybe then some of us just do a lot of organizing and glad-handing in smoke-filled rooms and iChat sessions (I'm seemoleon (at) aim).

As much as I Love this idea, count it helping the Cow posters out because it will take about 2 days for the Lindenbooms to ban the Wiki links like every other non-Cow website I've ever tried to reference to help ppl there.

Barend at the Cow tried a year or so ago to create the big FAQ but it was a bear. But that was one person trying to take it on wheras the Wiki would be a community effort of course.

I want to help for all i know. But why limit this to technical infos? why not consider historical stuff, ressources, studios etc?

I have the feeling this could be big. Even bigger than the regular sarcasm posts here.

I would be willing to pitch in. It would be nice to have a resource that could keep us from going the route of the regular "mass of sticky posts" that clutter many popular sites. It would definitely be good to get the technical stuff put down in a location that all the noobs could access and also all the veterans could access without having to admit their noob status in certain areas.

But why limit this to technical infos? why not consider historical stuff, ressources, studios etc?
Actually I think the very first article should be on Saul Bass. I totally agree. I don't know why I keep talking mainly about tech stuff--probably because I have 'noob status' even now in a lot of areas. :P

Structural Proposals:

I wonder if there should be certain assumptions made about mograph like the fact that After Effects/PS/Ill are primary tools. So there would always be a blurb at the end on how the subject works in context to those.

For example "Rotoscope"

-----

History:

Max Fleisher, yadda yadda

Disney-Snow White

ILM Star Wars blah blah

Technique (several of course)

-Splitting keyframes, let interpolation work for you, yadda yadda

-beware of roto chatter - blah blah

As used in AE:

-Pen tool, blah blah, keyframe mask shape

-Paint tool blah blah

-----

So point being that it never gets TOO generalized like the real Wiki. Each entry would balance dry history, technique, with an artistic aspect/approach, example of where the technique has been seen or used, and a quick recipé as used in AE or other extremely common application.

Other Assumption: The reader has read the manual and knows the basics of a program when creating tutorials.

If it was me I wouldn't necessarily do step by step tutorials, showing every parameter to touch and how. I think if that becomes the standard then there will be far less tutorials available. I believe an "effect" or "Approach" should have an official name/link and a "recipe" more than a tutorial. For example:

--------

"Procedural Blemish Removal"

-Copy video layer

-On duplicate add Gauss blur or median till the blemish is overrun by surrounding skin tone

-Draw garbage mask around effected area on blurred duplicate

-Set duplicate transfer mode to 'Lighten' so any dark blemish pixels from original video are replaced by skin tone pixels from the duplicate layer.

-----------

So anyone who knows the very basics gets this and it's extremely quick to notate rather than a full day project creating hella tutorials for ppl that don't know where the Opacity setting is.