Sign in to follow this  
govinda

Mograph Wiki

Would you be linking to external tutorials instead of re-writing what's already out there?

Does this cover 3D used in mograph?

Would you cover tricks that, although you might be tired to see, keep getting asked? I mean, having something so that when someone asks "Yeah, I wanna create a flying banner that moves around like Belief's but I wanna do it all in AE in as little time as possible. I know AE super good."

So you could just post http://www.mographwiki.com/31ee7trixx.html#DrippingPaint

If there's something I can do to help, let me know.

In the first time it would be easy to compile, rate and structure a list of links on different subjects. i'm sure a lot of people have delicious accounts or already organized bookmarks that they are willing to share.

Links to existing tutorials would be fine. Basic recipes in the wiki articles would be good too. Full tutorials, probably not--some are copyrighted I think, and anyway that sets a standard for all-inclusiveness that'd be hard to uphold.

But of course some entries will be more complete than others. Maybe roto gets written out well, but for some reason YUV color space isn't so complete right away. Maybe the full compositing math behind a simple Luma Matte gets written out, but Alpha Matting gets shorted at first. I say, so what? It'll be sloppy and uneven, and that's just great, as long as it's always growing. There'll be crossover a little with CG stuff, like 3d rendering and stuff like anti-aliasing and multipass/layer rendering.

Some entry types would be best if they conformed to a minimal structure like what Chris Smith is saying. So an entry for Brand New School would be written by someone from BNS to include stuff like:

Brand New School

History:

Sprung from irradiated eggs left in the fridge circa 1999 at Fuel Santa Monica. Allowed to gestate and then kicked out when they were chicks, whatever.

Address:

Near the 10 at Cloverfield

Reel Link:

http://bnsreellink, etc.

Miscellaneous:

Founders were John Notaro, Jens Gelhaar, etc etc. Best known for xxx technique. Spinoffs include Stardust, National.tv, etc.

(Yeah yeah, don't nail me for inaccuracies in this example. It'd be real information written by the company itself and edited by moderators so as not to be goofy or over-flattering.)

Guest Sao_bento

you're thinking of yuppster.

i'm only good at complaining about commercial mograph pieces that brazenly lift from older cinema art.

Don't sell yourself short, you're also great at going on and on about linear light blending modes, 32 bit float, and Italian horror movies. :D

Alright, here's a really rough structure to get us talking. Just throwing this out to see what everyone thinks...

Notable mograph companies/individuals (Psyop, BNS, Justin Harder)

Commonly Asked Questions (the questions that always seems to come up, like "why can't I paste my paths into AE from Illustrator??")

Common Trends (deerheads, paintdrips... and examples)

History (notable companies & individuals, resources)

Software (After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, C4D, Maya 3dsmax)

After Effects (description, history, tips, plugins, tutorials, scripting, related links)

Hardware (computer advice, monitors, output cards)

Technical Reference (fields, resolution, codecs)

Terminology (glossary?)

Communities (mograph, creativecow, cgtalk, xplsv)

Portals/News (motionographer, dzine, feed)

Books and DVDs (Creating Motion Graphics Vol.1, Flips, Lowfat Graphic, onedotzero)

Publications (Stash, Res, Boards, Computer Arts)

Education (Full Sail, Portfolio Center)

Conferences/Festivals/Contests (MOVE, FITC, Resfest, Semi-Competitive, Stash's GSA)

Getting a job (job site links, demo reel tips, writing a resume, marketing yourself)

-----

Here's some random thoughts.

I think it would be interesting to have (separate) comments on each entry as well, so people can express their personal opinion about each topic without muddying up the actual entry.

It also might be nice to add a del.icio.us-like tagging system to the entries. I know you can do both these in PMWiki, not sure about Mediawiki.

I was also thinking about the problem of how deep to take this, as "motion graphics" encompasses so much - design, color, typography, illustration, marketing, art, film, photography as well as other influences. But I think this will naturally resolve itself... at least I'm hoping.

Alright, here's a really rough structure to get us talking. Just throwing this out to see what everyone thinks...

Notable mograph companies/individuals (Psyop, BNS, Justin Harder)

Commonly Asked Questions (the questions that always seems to come up, like "why can't I paste my paths into AE from Illustrator??")

Common Trends (deerheads, paintdrips... and examples)

History (notable companies & individuals, resources)

Software (After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, C4D, Maya 3dsmax)

After Effects (description, history, tips, plugins, tutorials, scripting, related links)

Hardware (computer advice, monitors, output cards)

Technical Reference (fields, resolution, codecs)

Terminology (glossary?)

Communities (mograph, creativecow, cgtalk, xplsv)

Portals/News (motionographer, dzine, feed)

Books and DVDs (Creating Motion Graphics Vol.1, Flips, Lowfat Graphic, onedotzero)

Publications (Stash, Res, Boards, Computer Arts)

Education (Full Sail, Portfolio Center)

Conferences/Festivals/Contests (MOVE, FITC, Resfest, Semi-Competitive, Stash's GSA)

Getting a job (job site links, demo reel tips, writing a resume, marketing yourself)

-----

Here's some random thoughts.

I think it would be interesting to have (separate) comments on each entry as well, so people can express their personal opinion about each topic without muddying up the actual entry.

It also might be nice to add a del.icio.us-like tagging system to the entries. I know you can do both these in PMWiki, not sure about Mediawiki.

I was also thinking about the problem of how deep to take this, as "motion graphics" encompasses so much - design, color, typography, illustration, marketing, art, film, photography as well as other influences. But I think this will naturally resolve itself... at least I'm hoping.

I love it. So who starts by creating the outline/stubs?

Awesome idea. Let me know how I can help. So, it is this like a forum and more like a dynamic information archive? How would it relate to what we have here at mograph? All base knowledge is at the wiki and we chat about everyday goings on stays on the forum. Douglas Adams would be proud.

I'm starting to contact people so interested parties can get together offline.

(hotbuttertrucker, PM me your email address so I can contact you.)

I just pointed motionfront.net FYI... that's about all I can do right now, I'm under the bus for the next 2 months.

motionwiki.com is available, I'd be happy to buy/point if people prefer that over motionfront.net.

(wikimotion.com however is not available)

Awesome idea. Let me know how I can help. So, it is this like a forum and more like a dynamic information archive? How would it relate to what we have here at mograph? All base knowledge is at the wiki and we chat about everyday goings on stays on the forum. Douglas Adams would be proud.

One point I brought up with Govinda via e-mail is that mograph.net probably has every resource and answer you could ever hope to find, but the search feature is so weak. Something the wiki would bring is real search power.

I think this is a great idea...me being a complete newb I dont think I can contribute much, but I am willing to help out in whatever form I can offer.

Beaver I think what you said was true, about mograph.net having pretty much all the info one could ask for with the seach feature being sort of limited...

But I think the wiki (if done right), rather than being a whole new site, could just be an extension of mograph.net. Wiki could be for the the general information, tutorials, resources...mograph could stay as informative as it always is...but it offers more of a community that a wiki isnt able to do.

I think the wiki is a great idea...I just think it needs to be done correctly...and to be seriously rooted with mograph.net

I just pointed motionfront.net FYI... that's about all I can do right now, I'm under the bus for the next 2 months.

I think motionfront.net works, it's already pointed and one less thing to do in order to get there...ya know?

i've actually been trying to resist participating in this thread, because it'd make me feel a little too nerdy, but i've given in...

hopefully it can have a "museum" type section with notable works, with stills or quicktimes, that have significance in terms of quality or setting precedence in technique or style/trends. and hopefully detailed credits could be obtained-- with those peoples' names & other descriptive flags (styles, techniques, year, studio, influences, etc.) as links, like as with imdb or flickr or allmusicguide. and it should be curated, rather than open like xplsv. though i feel commercial design is generally too insignificant for something like that, i think of motion graphics as the direct commercial application of "experimental cinema", and at the very least the database can show the connection between the two via "influence" tags.

i nominate yuppster as curator. just joking.

kinda.

lotsa work involved with something like that, but it'd be really interesting to follow the trail of particular designers or animators, and especially movements-- every notable paint drip piece all in one place (six exclamation marks).

oh god, my preventive instinct about feeling mega nerdy was right.

Edited by jaan

But I think the wiki (if done right), rather than being a whole new site, could just be an extension of mograph.net.

Yeah I didn't intend for my comment to sound that way either, I mean a forum is a forum, a wiki is a wiki. One will not replace the other.

i've actually been trying to resist participating in this thread, because it'd make me feel a little too nerdy, but i've given in...

Star%20Wars%20Darth%20Vader%20Ceramic%20Bank.JPG

I knew you'd come around...

GoDaddy.com is pretty simple and they do have proxy registrations.

I have about 10 domains through them, and have had no problems.

Gandi.net is european or something; whats the Euro > Dollar conversion nowdays anyway?

...and I vote for mographwiki.com as well.

Edited by KGB

I think that it's cool that people are donating domain names and hosting. But...

Someone got me thinking about how this can become a strain on the volunteer in the long run. I could totally foresee someone not having the time or the energy, or even the will to continue hosting this in the far off future. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Does anyone know how hard it would be to get someone like MediaTemple to donate hosting? I know that they often help out people and only ask for their logo/banner on the site.

I'm not talking full-on sponsorship à la Cow with banners all over the place. Just a little you-rub-my-back-and-I'll-rub-yours.

If it were hosted by a tierce party, the responsability would be more akin to moderators who don't actually own anything. The admins/mods could come and go without it all being the responsability of one person.

Just a thought.

Is this a good time to say Welcome to the InterWeb?