Sign in to follow this  
govinda

Mograph Wiki

wooww it's been a while since last time i went to the mograph wiki site, and there's a lot of improvements, the site look very cool, the info is amazing,

thanks for making this real,

Ya, it's going alright. I'm still working on some more features and such, but it's in a good place.

I think the main concern right now would be to get some more pages written. Due the Motionographer post, we've been getting lots of people and companies adding themselves (which is great!) but we also need the other pages (on history, technical issues, software, design) fleshed out, to turn it into a really worthwhile resource. If you're able to contribute, please do.

zerendra, ya, we should organize another chat when everyone's back from Christmas break.

Hello- just thought I'd encourage people to keep visiting the wiki.

The people from Eyeball have been busy posting and have created a sort of forum on their discussion page inviting people to ask questions and post comments. So if you have any "how'd they do that?" questions, go for it. The page is here:

http://mographwiki.net/Talk:EyeballNYC

I've also started a little database for After Effects error messages (and hopefully solutions to them). Feel free to upload your own.

http://mographwiki.net/After_Effects_error_messages

Thought I'd post just to bring everyone up to speed.

I was wondering, now that the wiki has been around for awhile, if anyone has any comments/questions/problems. I've noticed that a lot of people who were interested in it at the start, haven't contributed much. I just want to make it's not that the site is a unusable piece of crap or something. (And I understand if you guys are busy).

I've added a few things to the site. First, a firefox search plugin. If you're in Firefox, all you have to do is go up to the search bar when you're on the site, click on the little down arrow, and then click "Add MographWiki".

I've also added a link to a Gabbly chat window on the site (it's in the navigation bar). I don't expect to see many people congregating in there, but it'd be useful for our infrequent meetings.

So here's a quick status check about what's going on with the wiki. We get around 626 "sessions" a day (a session is defined as a series of clicks over a certain amount of time). On average, it looks like we get around 1-2 new entries a day (not including the ones I add). Those are almost exclusively companies/freelancers adding themselves. The main people working on the site are mete_shop, Binky and myself.

The Industry Directory: Geographical is turning into a pretty nice resource. It's got all the companies listed in the reels section on this site, plus more. But I'd really like to make it more definitive - so if you see any mograph companies not listed, please list them. I'm especially looking for ones outside of the US, or in smaller cities. There's a lot of threads on here asking for companies in certain areas, and the wiki is a great place to get them together. (I added a few mentioned in the recent "Midwest Motion Graphics" to the wiki). A few companies like EyeballNYC and XYZ Studios have been really making their pages nice by adding pictures and other information.

So aside from the company/freelancers adding themselves, the other pages get almost no action. :(

Thought I'd post just to bring everyone up to speed.

I was wondering, now that the wiki has been around for awhile, if anyone has any comments/questions/problems. I've noticed that a lot of people who were interested in it at the start, haven't contributed much. I just want to make it's not that the site is a unusable piece of crap or something. (And I understand if you guys are busy).

I've added a few things to the site. First, a firefox search plugin. If you're in Firefox, all you have to do is go up to the search bar when you're on the site, click on the little down arrow, and then click "Add MographWiki".

I've also added a link to a Gabbly chat window on the site (it's in the navigation bar). I don't expect to see many people congregating in there, but it'd be useful for our infrequent meetings.

So here's a quick status check about what's going on with the wiki. We get around 626 "sessions" a day (a session is defined as a series of clicks over a certain amount of time). On average, it looks like we get around 1-2 new entries a day (not including the ones I add). Those are almost exclusively companies/freelancers adding themselves. The main people working on the site are mete_shop, Binky and myself.

The Industry Directory: Geographical is turning into a pretty nice resource. It's got all the companies listed in the reels section on this site, plus more. But I'd really like to make it more definitive - so if you see any mograph companies not listed, please list them. I'm especially looking for ones outside of the US, or in smaller cities. There's a lot of threads on here asking for companies in certain areas, and the wiki is a great place to get them together. (I added a few mentioned in the recent "Midwest Motion Graphics" to the wiki). A few companies like EyeballNYC and XYZ Studios have been really making their pages nice by adding pictures and other information.

So aside from the company/freelancers adding themselves, the other pages get almost no action. :(

thanks for all your hard work guys. this tool is invaluable and i'll try my best to add to it as much as i can. thanks again!

Yuppster, thanks for the update! I really really want to help out, but have been focused on getting my website up on my off time. If things open up in the future, I would love to jump back into it and get some info up. Thanks for your guys hard work, it will for sure pay off!

I'm sorry but my plate has been full for a while with stuff that needs my attention so

I was one of the people that said they would help out but didn't :(

The site looks great, and I will contribute whenever I can.

You guys are doing a great job!

Edited by KGB

Give it a few years and wait for declarations like "Yeah, well I was working in motion graphics before there even was a Mograph Wiki"

It's going to be the new "I used to edit 1 inch with a razor blade" trust me!

Well thanks for the kind words everyone... we'll keep at it. I'm going to try and work on some real articles as well. Oh and if anyone wants to help, an easy thing to do is just add to the existing company pages.... for example, add a link to an interview with Shilo to their page, or whatever.

If anyone has some spare time and spare HTML expertise, I could use some help formatting the front page. Haven't made any real headway on that in a while.

Edited by Binky

To encourage people to contribute, I've added a "action article" that is highlighted on the main page of MographWiki. This is meant to be an article of high importance - that people are encouraged to make better. So for the first one, I thought we should work on the "motion graphics" article. I know almost everyone here has an idea of what motion graphics is, so please try to help out. I've written a very rough article to start with - please don't be afraid to revise/delete/scrap the stuff already there. I'm hoping we can have a discussion/debate about this topic.

The article is here:

http://mographwiki.net/Motion_graphics

I've also added a feature that makes it easier to post comments on the "talk" page. (That's where you would discuss the article). The feature allows you to post comments similar to a messageboard - and it formats them in a pretty way. See here:

http://mographwiki.net/Talk:Motion_graphics

to the mograph wiki crew:

I've began to compile a google plot map of all of the motion graphics shops in sydney and melbourne. I thought it would be easy for me to see where would be best to live as I'm hoping to go down there in may of next year to do some travelling and freelance. So this got me thinking. I think it might be beneficial to integrate this map (and hopefully others that people have made) into the mograph wiki page. Basically, i've been going through the mographwiki pages for those 2 cities and typing in their addresses and plotting them on my map. easy peezy.

Just a thought. Let me know what you think.

That's a great idea. I know there are plugins (for Mediawiki) that can do stuff like that... honestly haven't looked into it much. I'll see if it's tough to implement. Definitely would be neat. Thanks for the suggestion.