Sign in to follow this  
aspekt

jesus camp...........

haha, that's funny. While some Islams may have condemned Bin Laden and terrorist activity in general .. the vast majority of Islamic "leaders" have been remarkably quiet.

NY Times editorial writer Thomas Friedman speaks out about that quite frequently .. and the need for the Islamic leaders to take more of a leadership role in terms of speaking out against the jihadic radicals.

Don't get me started on Friedman....

And you're right, more key figures in the Islamic world (political leaders, clerics, etc.) need to speak up & condemn terrorist actions. The problem is that what the Western world considers "terrorism" and what a lot of Muslims consider "Freedom Fighting" is closely linked in many cases. It's easy to condemn individual acts, but a blanket condemnation is difficult. For example, it's easy to say you condemn Bin Laden's actions on 9/11, but harder to condemn Hezbollah's actions in Palestine and Lebannon. I think that's why many leaders have been reluctant to say anything.

It's only my opinion, but I really think this world would be a lot better off without religion. What do you get by socializing faith other than mob mentality, dogmatism & political interest groups? This is seriously a question, because I'm interested in the answer.

eternity in the kingdom of heaven? at least that's my understanding.

But why does this require the socialization/collective element of "religion"? Why should "having faith" necessarily have to be associated with "belonging to a club"?

I just ask because I know a lot of very spiritual people who don't belong to a church, a religion or wear their faith on their sleeve and they seem perfectly content with it. I just don't understand the need to cross the line into evangelicalism and dogmatism.

I guess what I'm really asking is why is there a need for religion in the first place?

But why does this require the socialization/collective element of "religion"? Why should "having faith" necessarily have to be associated with "belonging to a club"?

I just ask because I know a lot of very spiritual people who don't belong to a church, a religion or wear their faith on their sleeve and they seem perfectly content with it. I just don't understand the need to cross the line into evangelicalism and dogmatism.

I guess what I'm really asking is why is there a need for religion in the first place?

i don't think you understand. religions like christianity, islam, and judiasm are based on scripture, written documents wherein the elements and "rules" of the religion are found. it is not an amorphous "spirituality" or "faith"(in what??), but a very specific belief in very specific things. "dogmatism" is neccessary because these religions are based on... dogma! without the dogma they would not exist. what is christianity without the bible? absolutely nothing. and if you read that book you realize that socialization of the belief is a key component. that's why the "church" was created. in the book, jesus tells his "disciples" that they must spread the word, the gospel, and that's why christians spread the word and try to "save" the non-believers. when christians, muslims, jews, etc. say they have "faith" it's not some generalized dreamy thing but something very specific.

why is there a need of religion?

obviously this is something that is discussed by sociologists and anthropoligists, psychologists, and all sorts of 'ists. probably has something to do with have the knowledge and fear of one's own mortality.

Guest spence

To give answers to the questions that don't realy need to be answered.

To give purpose to things that logically have no purpose.

For most it's quite depressing to think that life is an accident and there is no purpose to existance other than to simply exist.

When religion is organised it gives you answers in writen word, it gives you purpose in a community, and it gives you promises of existence beyond the physical.

Though, personally, I'm quite content saying "I don't know" when given a question regarding purpose to my existance. I feel what I believe, isn't of nearly as much consequence as what I know. That is why I suppose I'm not religious.

Edited by spence

i don't think you understand. religions like christianity, islam, and judiasm are based on scripture, written documents wherein the elements and "rules" of the religion are found. it is not an amorphous "spirituality" or "faith"(in what??), but a very specific belief in very specific things. "dogmatism" is neccessary because these religions are based on... dogma! without the dogma they would not exist. what is christianity without the bible? absolutely nothing. and if you read that book you realize that socialization of the belief is a key component. that's why the "church" was created. in the book, jesus tells his "disciples" that they must spread the word, the gospel, and that's why christians spread the word and try to "save" the non-believers. when christians, muslims, jews, etc. say they have "faith" it's not some generalized dreamy thing but something very specific.

why is there a need of religion?

obviously this is something that is discussed by sociologists and anthropoligists, psychologists, and all sorts of 'ists. probably has something to do with have the knowledge and fear of one's own mortality.

It's so great playing Devil's Advocate...I even get Fred to say something serious! :)

My family and I used to go to church camp when I was young....and the only thing i remember is this really hot chick. Man, church camp was great.

I second this man, church camp was sweet! Free hugs at spirtual meetings, holding hands and sitting on the pier watching the sunset over the lake, playing chicken with a girls legs wrapped around my head while she's getting rough with the other girls, sneaking off to the forest for my first kiss...

For a week each summer I felt like Kevin Arnold, searching for my own personal Winnie Cooper...

:H

None of this has to do with religion at all. It's simply hateful nutballs spouting biased garbage in the name of something they feel gives them authority. It just happens to be that most of these people seem to use one of the estimated 3900 myths in the world as their dogma.

As far as Xtians vs Islamists. I think if you looked back in history and racked up the "hate/kill" points you would find they would balance out as far as the cruelty that has been spread in the world in their name as well as any other mythology like the Greeks, Roman, on and on.

Just hateful nutballs.

I can't wait till I retire to some floating supervessel in the ocean with a bunch of other seniors playing video games. Very slow video games. Then the assholes that pop up with a hateful agenda can be voted off the ship.

omg, just watched the trailer, that is nuts! That shouldn't be legal, seriously, those kids are not able to know what is for the good or for the bad at that age. At least give them a chance, this is a democracy.

Unfortunately we all have to pay the consequence of these extremist because they do have a influence on voters in those neck of the woods, exactly like the guy said in the movie trailer. That is a large percentage of people he mentioned and he did it with a smile too.

not to beat off a dead horse but:

The summer camp featured in the documentary "Jesus Camp," which includes scenes with disgraced preacher Ted Haggard, will shut down for at least several years because of negative reaction sparked by the film, according t

heres the link

Yeah, but what spawns those christian extremists? It's sure not the atheists, agnostics or the moderates.

I'm not saying that there are no extremists outside of religion eather. I'm sure the majority of eco terrorists are atheists or agnostic (all the ones I've met any way). I'm just saying that those people, extremists or not, ARE fundamentalists.

ignorance - just like racists, bigots and people who discriminate because of class...

Like not watching anything interesting ON that bigscreen.

God said it's OK to watch the advertisments.

The advertisng industry is the new Church and Mographers are the new evil priests enticing the innocent with their eye candy. It's an exaggeration, but I'm sure there is an element of truth in it.