Sign in to follow this  
danb

Where to begin?

I am slightly new to the forum. I pop in here every so often to look at all the amazing work you guys produce.

Been doing 3d character work for the past couple years and i want to broaden my skills. I use c4d a LOT and with the new mograph module it inspired me to try my hand at some motion graphics.

So where the heck do i start? Do i just try to make something crazy? Is there a like a formula you have to stick to for mograph? Where can i learn things like working with alpha channels, masks, 3d tracking, etc...?

This and that should get you going. Very little by way of 3D, but it'll give the gist of what motion graphics is about (at least it did for me).

And I don't think you should be looking for any formula. Just make sure your ribbons, trapcode and deerheads are in place and you'll be fine.

Heh, I know you from CGTalk. Welcome! Just train your eye, look at the Reels section here and at what Justin posts at Motiongrapher, have heroes and look into some Meyers books. It's where most people start.

Heh, I know you from CGTalk. Welcome! Just train your eye, look at the Reels section here and at what Justin posts at Motiongrapher, have heroes and look into some Meyers books. It's where most people start.

Hi Govinda, nice to see you here too. Thanks guys i will pick up those AE books.

Many of you might know this, but I'm guessing those are also the ones who don't need these books as much. ^_^

I wrote to the Meyers team and got a very curteous and pleasant reply telling me that they only release books for every other version.

So don't hold your breath for Creating Motion Graphics for AE7. That being said, the CMG AE6.5 books are certainly very relevant to AE7.

You can read more about it here: http://www.cybmotion.com/training/ae7.html

I love that Studio Techniques book. Not much in the way of motion graphics "creative stuff" but awesome for understanding how AE ticks.

Where can i download high quality free video of different things like, people, backgrounds, objects, environments, etc...?