Sign in to follow this  
ill_hero

Design class sucks....

I'm always so torn when it comes to giving advice about art education....I'm always somewhere in the middle between "I could have never gotten to where I am today without college" and "I could have been really good at what I do if I would have skipped college & just got into the industry earlier".

I'm always so torn when it comes to giving advice about art education....I'm always somewhere in the middle between "I could have never gotten to where I am today without college" and "I could have been really good at what I do if I would have skipped college & just got into the industry earlier".

I kinda got the best of both world, as this is a one year digital media class at a technical school. It's my last year o' high school.

Then what are you complaining about youngin? I would have killed to have had the opportunity to do design or mograph stuff when I was in high school....way back in the days of George H.W. Bush. It was a different word back then...

**song "turn turn turn" by the byrds starts playing**

I'm SOOO glad I know how to use a french curve now.

I had to buy " lead holders " for school... like pencils, only 20$

also " schadler rules " like rulers, only... 20$

also " rubyliths " like masks in photoshop only... 20$

and vellum... like a sketch pad... only....

well, youve only just begun to learn useless stuff for that piece of paper:):)

Don't worry though, what they don't tell you is that you are actually paying for all of the friends you make in school, and the network of job opportunities that comes with hanging out with all the people you suffered with!!!

Its educational regardless.. If you're not going to take your education seriously then you might want to find a different route to achieve your goals?

Ha...you guys are right, but french curves have since been replaced by, uhh...the freaking pen tool. :o

anyone here actually used a fench curve in their MoGraph work? :huh:

IMO You shouldn't be doing mograph if you don't know how to operate Xacto knife and Straight edge.

I hated that in school and totally get it now

I'm sure all the things I'm doing now will pop up later in design processes, so I'm taking it all in and getting the best out of it I can now...ya know?

Ha...you guys are right, but french curves have since been replaced by, uhh...the freaking pen tool. :o

anyone here actually used a fench curve in their MoGraph work? :huh:

no... but don't you ever draw things on paper? for instance, i once took a perspective drawing class, just for the fun of it, and found that french curves can be quite useful when sketching things out. i haven't used one in a while, but they're still useful in the right situation. for instance, comics artists use them. unless they're working in illustrator in which case they probably do use the pen tool.

these crazy kids with their cell phones and their fancy two way pagers with fax machines drive me nuts.