Sign in to follow this  
lompoc42

Intro animation finished

OK, had another crack at doing the intro animation. Still not entirely happy with it. I tried animating some lights at the beginning that cast shadows from one bit of the frame onto the others and also leaving a kind of burnt orange around the edge of the light. Unfortunately that little idea took my poor little G4 eMac to 23 hours of rendering (I actually took my personal computer to work so I wouldn't have to work on a G4 eMac. Can you blame me?).

So here's the animation without the lights. I'm also not entirely happy with the 'flame' effect that was actually just meant to be more of a liquid light type of thing. I need to play with it a bit more and not make it so whispy.

Comments? I'd love to get some feed back.

Intro Work #2 - 4.5mb

i remember seeing this.... glad to see the bear redrawn...fits the overall piece better... dont remember the bright flame on.... don't mind it.... but i would put it of the logo displacement and lighten it a bit... seems like the main part of the logo should be visable or readible a smidgen sooner... and it also kinda just cuts on... i would eas it in a bit....

Edited by FlipSwitch

i remember seeing this.... glad to see the bear redrawn...fits the overall piece better... dont remember the bright flame on.... don't mind it.... but i would put it of the logo displacement and lighten it a bit... seems like the main part of the logo should be visable or readible a smidgen sooner... and it also kinda just cuts on... i would eas it in a bit....

Not sure which part of the logo you're referring to exactly. Do you mean the bear or my name? I agree with you if you mean my name, I think the displace is a bit too long.

Not sure which part of the logo you're referring to exactly. Do you mean the bear or my name? I agree with you if you mean my name, I think the displace is a bit too long.

yea to ur name... said i like the bear drawing change... didn't you have it solid white last time? it just fits the design alot better now

Wow, a lot of revisions! Maybe you should work on something else, i'd go crazy re doing an intro animation this much...

in terms of crit i think the background doesn't really fit the piece. the movement, the color... it's texturally wood, the blue doesn't really become it. i say make it the color of wood, make the camera move instead of the logo elements and the background and have the logo elements burn-reveal on to the wooden background, kinda hardies/outback grill style. aren't you from new zealand? heh.

you already have that burning motif going on. if you've been looking around the reels section here you'll see that a piece where the elements are all there for a reason, - either to contextualize or to purposefully confuse - is a good piece. but you have to go one way or the other... knowhaimean?

Wow, a lot of revisions! Maybe you should work on something else, i'd go crazy re doing an intro animation this much...

in terms of crit i think the background doesn't really fit the piece. the movement, the color... it's texturally wood, the blue doesn't really become it. i say make it the color of wood, make the camera move instead of the logo elements and the background and have the logo elements burn-reveal on to the wooden background, kinda hardies/outback grill style. aren't you from new zealand? heh.

you already have that burning motif going on. if you've been looking around the reels section here you'll see that a piece where the elements are all there for a reason, - either to contextualize or to purposefully confuse - is a good piece. but you have to go one way or the other... knowhaimean?

Indeed I do. Something to chew on definitely. I know what you mean too about the Hardies/Outback approach. We don't have Outback Steak House here, but I'm a US transplant anyway, so I know whatcha mean.

I'm definitely tired of working on this idea and I'm off to something else. When I'm the middle of one thing is usually when I get heaps of ideas for other things. Hopefully I can still remember them.

Cheers for that!

i think the flame thing isn't really working- like mete shop said, i'm not sure why it's in there, and it feels a little forced.

in general, you have some strong elements in there, but it needs more energy- as it is now, it's just kind of a "slide everything into place" thing. for a reel into, you might want to make something a little more flashy?

i can see that you have good design skills to build on, though, and that's the most important part.

i think the flame thing isn't really working- like mete shop said, i'm not sure why it's in there, and it feels a little forced.

in general, you have some strong elements in there, but it needs more energy- as it is now, it's just kind of a "slide everything into place" thing. for a reel into, you might want to make something a little more flashy?

i can see that you have good design skills to build on, though, and that's the most important part.

I haven't been a huge fan of the flame thing either. Was trying to do a liquid light, almost fire fly type of idea but it ended up as flame. Got tired of messing with it after a while! I'm not terribly sure that I'd want to go ultra flashy with my intro just yet. To be honest I think I'd rather hone down the design bits first and build my animation around solid ideas. It seems every time I try and do flashy I loose my way.

Coming from a relatively new viewpoint into mograph, I honestly never knew/thought there was SO MUCH to this field. I'm glad it does though as it provides me with a huge challenge, and I love challenge.

Methinks I'm just gonna move on now. I've got other ideas that are begging me to make them and I probably shouldn't ignore them for too long. If it comes down to it, I may just remake the intro in a while anyway. Honestly I'd rather just try and get some sort of foot in doing mograph and then come back to it after I've learned some more. I've found that being a teacher has given me an insatiable appetite to learn. Funny that.