Sign in to follow this  
flitch13

comcast commercial

I looked through no-spec, and I honestly don't see how this could be catergorized as speculative work. I am not "working" for anyone, nor attempting to get some sort of compensation, except in the form of a good grade in a high school class. Maybe I do not really understand the point of no-spec.com.

I was really looking for some feedback as to how to improve on what I am doing instead of simply letting me know that it is typical, stupid, student work.

Perhaps I am on the wrong forum, since this probably could not be classified as a motion graphic as opposed to a composite? In which case, could any alternative communities be suggested?

Guest Sao_bento

I looked through no-spec, and I honestly don't see how this could be catergorized as speculative work. I am not "working" for anyone, nor attempting to get some sort of compensation, except in the form of a good grade in a high school class. Maybe I do not really understand the point of no-spec.com.

I was really looking for some feedback as to how to improve on what I am doing instead of simply letting me know that it is typical, stupid, student work.

Perhaps I am on the wrong forum, since this probably could not be classified as a motion graphic as opposed to a composite? In which case, could any alternative communities be suggested?

In this case, the term "spec" is used because you were not hired to do a project for this client. Most of the time students or noobs try to emulate a big brand they fail miserably, while simultaneously acquiring an inability to recognize the failure. The put the results on their reel, failing to realize that anyone who's been in this business for more than a year can immediately spot that it's a "fake", which then introduces a question about your credibility if you haven't made it overwhelmingly clear that it was not commissioned by the client. Now, rather than being impressed by your work, the client wonders if you are trying to pull something by mis-representing work you have done, and so on. There are many threads about it.

That being said, in this case, you were aiming pretty low, so your work isn't necessarily that far off-brand, except that it doesn't clearly state what about the guy is stupid, leaving you to wonder if he's mentally disabled, etc. Making fun of the handicapped is usually reserved for Carlos Mencia these days.

I think as far as *high school* work is concerned it seems like a fun project. I saw no motion graphics in there aside from what comcast already has airing so I can't really comment on that. I'm confused as to why there seem to be more and more high school kids posting their videos on here since its really hard to pick apart something created by someone with no formal training or goal in mind.

I think as far as *high school* work is concerned it seems like a fun project. I saw no motion graphics in there aside from what comcast already has airing so I can't really comment on that. I'm confused as to why there seem to be more and more high school kids posting their videos on here since its really hard to pick apart something created by someone with no formal training or goal in mind.

Agreed. I think of this as a professional, albeit irreverent forum .. and would prefer this be posted elsewhere.

That being said .. I understand eventually you need to post what you consider pretty good and get some comments and critiques .. but maybe now isn't the right time yet.

ya but at the same time i wouldn't be suprised if i saw "stupid fast" in some marketing blitz... just maybe not for comcast

the main idea behind ur project is "Stupid Fast", but the animation is stupid slow; I would've loved 2 c those squares shuffle between ea other really fast then end up on the offer, shuffle squares again, then the speed of the connection; shuffle again and land on the contact info; it's taking 2 long between offer and claim, etc...speed it up. Don't be afraid to play w/ different speeds.

Uhm... If you don't get why it is "Stupid Fast" you should probably watch it again for the FIRST time.

That and I was almost convinced that this was a real local comcast commercial. If you've seen Cox Communications commercials they have two levels, 1. Dead on brand high end & 2. Attention getting concept work with mid range visual work.

If this kid is in high school he is off to a tremenous start.

BUT, I will say once you are out there trying to get clients, No Spec work in the reel. It's almost a lie. KEEP IT REEL!! ;)