Sign in to follow this  
TimC

Cinema4d r10 announced

Layer/Object/Timeline manager look like some pretty sweet improvements for MoGraphers. I hope this includes an improvement for an object with 10+ tags. Interactive render region is a long overdue, but welcome feature.

Kind of a let-down for Studio Bundle owners since their major Bodypaint feature was that it's part of the core... and the major AR improvement is the inclusion of Pyrocluster. *shrug*

Still, folks have been begging for better CA tools for years. MOCCA 3 seems to have caught up with Cactus Dan and definitely filled a large hole in Cinema's toolset.

I'm not quite certain how I feel about the new GUI/Icons yet. Looks like they greyed it down to look like a more "serious" 3D app. ;)

I didn't see any prices. Were they listed at the shop?

-m

Guest Sao_bento

I caught a glimpse of it earlier this morning and the really liked the new look. The press release seems to have vanished though - is it just me?

I assumed the server was getting hammered.

it's nice to see that maxon marketing is finally realizing that people actually make cool stuff with their software. for a while there you'd hear of all these cool things being made with c4d and then you'd go to maxon's website and see some shitty animations and renders used to promote their software.

edit: oh! render region, that's nice... this might be an xsi switchable offense.

Edited by Fred Camino

It's always like that ! We just bought it for the office two weeks ago and now they go for the newer version !! I would have waited ...

can i have a free upgrade please...

Looks interesting the upgrade!

$495 for a Studio Bundle Upgrade.

Oof. That's pretty heavy if you want the UI improvements but aren't that into CA.

-m

I'd probably pay $495 just for the reworked timeline. I waste so much time fighting the current one that I'd probably make up the cost on my first project.

There's also quite a bit more to this upgrade than just UI improvements and new character tools too.

I'd probably pay $495 just for the reworked timeline. I waste so much time fighting the current one that I'd probably make up the cost on my first project.

There's also quite a bit more to this upgrade than just UI improvements and new character tools too.

Well I've been able to spend enough time with the demo to make some finer observations.

The new timeline is awesome. It's still a little buggy (some menu's flicker in unsuspected places and the timeline showed fine at home but in german when I installed it on my quad at work)... but with some very small exceptions I'm very pleased with MAXON's choices. The timeline is "deeply" reworked and it's integration into the layering system is hot. It allows you to "solo" specific animation tracks or even "mute/unmute" individual keys. Power slider makes the whole thing that much more comfy for AE users.

The improvement of the dynamic search dialogue in both the object/timeline window are probably my favorite addition (although I couldn't seem to get one single search to work in the Content Browser).

The thing that drives me a little nuts though is how the Material Manager is treated by a different set of rules than the Object Manager. Say for instance the ability to hit the down arrow key to rename the next item (ala the Object Manager circa v9.6) doesn't work in the Material Window. Likewise, the Material Manager also doesn't get a dynamic search dialogue. I'm hoping this is because they're planning on re-working the Materials in the future.

I also can't believe they haven't changed the UI to accommodate an object with many tags. The only option is to open a window half the size of your screen. As soon as Idea-Graphics made Tag Manager, which organized your object tags in a list view I was positive MAXON was going to snatch that up. 3 years later... still no.

Barring the LSCM unwrapping (available for some time in Modo and Blender) I don't see any additions to Bodypaint. I also don't see any additions to Dynamics, MoGraph, Thinking Particles, Advanced Render, Sky, or Hair. No new modeling tools (I've always wanted to be able to use the Brush to smooth out splines) and no new objects. If there are other improvements, I don't see them. Of course, the manuals are yet to be released and there are often bits that one would only find in there.

I'm not whining, I'm just trying to be honest about what has and hasn't changed. IMO, this release only focused on 3 things... UI, Character Animation, and the Timeline. If I was a Character Animator $495 would be a steal. Even so, I think after a day of playing around I agree with you... the Timeline/Layer improvements are so good that they are likely worth the upgrade cost by themselves.

I suppose there's no excuse now not to learn CA. ;)

-m

Guest Sao_bento

For real - and anyone who's ever had to precisely place textures will appreciate the integration of BodyPaint 3D into the core product. It's a no-brainer.

YES!

Hey Monkey, did they fix the compositing bugs in the renderer? For example, in 9.6, glows don't show up when they're behind a transparent object...

That's not a bug, it's a limitation...so no, I don't think it will work in R10

I also can't believe they haven't changed the UI to accommodate an object with many tags. The only option is to open a window half the size of your screen. As soon as Idea-Graphics made Tag Manager, which organized your object tags in a list view I was positive MAXON was going to snatch that up. 3 years later... still no.

They have actually addressed this (kind of). Firstly certain tags that can only be added to an object once (such as the phong tag) have their attributes as part of the object attributes. For instance create a cube then in the AM you will have a new parameter section (phong). This works for any tag that is only applied once. So if you use the new filtering system you can hide any tags that fit this category.

In the object manager you can also choose view > vertical tags. Now your tags are arranged as children of the object. If you combine this with the new filtering you can display just the tags you are working with. So you can fold down the object to see all the tags, then click the eye at the top of the OM. Fold down tags, you can then hide the tags you don't want to see. The great thing about having your tags vertical is that you can see the name of them. Really handy with selection sets.

Also don't forget that you can have up to 4 object managers and timelines now so you can customise the contents of each one and filter out any items you don't want to see.

cheers

Tim

I spent exactly 5 minutes in there and so far it's sweet. I knew the timeline had to be next on deck. For a year I felt like I was in an undermanned fight with the arch viz guys who clamor nearly daily for the renderer to get next attention. In the end the prospect of getting used rigging characters in film carried the day, so the animator constituency wins and motion people get swept along in the wake. I think Maxon liked getting used on Open Season, even if it was for Bodypaint.

But they didn't do that thing I've asked about 20 times for--when you highlight a position keyframe, have it be selected also on the position path in the viewport and vice-versa. I'll have to ask in German I think.

In the object manager you can also choose view > vertical tags. Now your tags are arranged as children of the object. If you combine this with the new filtering you can display just the tags you are working with. So you can fold down the object to see all the tags, then click the eye at the top of the OM. Fold down tags, you can then hide the tags you don't want to see. The great thing about having your tags vertical is that you can see the name of them. Really handy with selection sets.

Oh Tim you are so very right! I totally missed that in the menus.

Thats something I've been wanting for a long time. Excellent! :)

In addition to the vertical tags and filtering, I noticed I can bookmark it in its vertical and horizontal state and easily switch between the two. Boom!

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

I spent exactly 5 minutes in there and so far it's sweet. I knew the timeline had to be next on deck. For a year I felt like I was in an undermanned fight with the arch viz guys who clamor nearly daily for the renderer to get next attention. In the end the prospect of getting used rigging characters in film carried the day, so the animator constituency wins and motion people get swept along in the wake. I think Maxon liked getting used on Open Season, even if it was for Bodypaint.

But they didn't do that thing I've asked about 20 times for--when you highlight a position keyframe, have it be selected also on the position path in the viewport and vice-versa. I'll have to ask in German I think.

Yeah, I have to sympathize with Maxon a bit here. With one app trying to cover so many bases it's going to get harder and harder to please the increasingly specialized groups that use this software. I use Cinema virtually every day and there are still whole swaths of the program that I never touch that some people make their living in. I have my list of complaints like anyone, but all things considered companies like Adobe could learn a lot from Maxon about growing their user base and keeping it happy along the way.

I'm probably just basking in the glow of that new timeline though. Give me some time in v10 and I'm sure I'll be howling about something. ;)