Sign in to follow this  
TimC

Cinema4d r10 announced

Yo, monkey, how do you get a Fresnel without using the wing menu?

So I think I've solved the Colorpicker problem. I used my old prefs because I didn't want to redo my layout and key commands. Always a big no-no, kids. Or maybe it was some plugin or other--with no plugins I'm getting no crashes. File all this under big freaking 'duh.'

Damn, this new version launches even faster than the last one. Does Tilo Kuehn sit there in Friedrichsdorf holding a nanosecond timer trying to get the fastest app-opening in the business? 'Yesss! We'ff beaten Maya by a full two seconds on bootup, way to go team!!'

That 7.3 was crazy stable. That 10.0 just...wasn't. It was getting ugly around my place of business on v10, what with all the crashy crashiness. So I install 10.1 today, despite being mid-project, and just about every time I click on the color tab to bring up the Apple system color picker, blammo. Anyone else get this? Hate to bitch in two places, here and CGTalk, about the same thing, but it's a cold death crash, like a dachshund with narcolepsy, and it killed some of my work.

An older not-so-fixed thing is the wing menu that brings up special shaders (gradient, fresnel, etc.). Always a beach ball when I click that, still a beach ball when I click that. BUT, the Object Manager is back to flowing like water. Used to be that clicking on a texture tag stopped the app cold for a full two seconds until things caught up. A lot of other little slow things are now fast too. Not to put too fine a point on it, 10.0 really blew. Except for that one crash, this is more like it.

I get those problems on 10.0, I've downloaded the update, but I'm waiting until I finish a project first. The wing menu thing is annoying, and when I'm in Bodypaint I constantly save before I bring up the color picker because half the time it crashes C4D.

Yo, monkey, how do you get a Fresnel without using the wing menu?

F*cking Magic!!!

(poof)

Yea, um, no. I don't know how, but I apparently mis-read your post... I though you were talking about the pop-up menu for the noise types.

But... since I'm also a smart ass... you could actually drag & drop a fresnel shader into a material channel from the content browser.

;)

-m

I get those problems on 10.0, I've downloaded the update, but I'm waiting until I finish a project first. The wing menu thing is annoying, and when I'm in Bodypaint I constantly save before I bring up the color picker because half the time it crashes C4D.
Dude, send in the bug report if you have this crash also. I've been back-and-forthing with Rick Barrett today about crashes, and he said (contra Srek) that someone else had the Apple Color Picker problem also (maybe you?), so strike while they're maybe working on it. Weird, Maxon USA CEO just so happened to pick up my bug report and be working the bug duty today.

But make sure you're not using old prefs, and remove all plugins first to make sure it's not that. I haven't had that particular crash since I removed prefs/hotkey shortcuts/plugins this morning.

Dude, send in the bug report if you have this crash also. I've been back-and-forthing with Rick Barrett today about crashes, and he said (contra Srek) that someone else had the Apple Color Picker problem also (maybe you?), so strike while they're maybe working on it. Weird, Maxon USA CEO just so happened to pick up my bug report and be working the bug duty today.

But make sure you're not using old prefs, and remove all plugins first to make sure it's not that. I haven't had that particular crash since I removed prefs/hotkey shortcuts/plugins this morning.

This is my first install of C4D, so there are no old prefs...I have the tcast steadycam free plug-in, so I'll have to remove that and see what happens.

I have a bug report saved in my Maxon directory that wasn't sent...is there an email I could send it to?

Question: if I update to 10.1, will I be able to open my files on 10.0? And more importantly, does the render farm need to be upgraded too?

I would say just about everything 10.0 is safe for 10.1 (file-wise). MAXON has been one of the best in the biz with file compatibility. I can also confirm that C4D Net files show modification times that coincide with the time I updated to 10.1 (for whatever that is worth). I can't find any logs.

-m

Well, I've only used 10.1 for 10 minutes now and I mostly get problems. Most notably, when I click and hold on an icon with wing menus (like the primitives icon for example), It won't show me the wing it just generates a cube. In addition, the cube isn't visible in the viewport until I move the edit camera then it appears.

I restart the app and get the same problem.

restart the comp and it fixes it for now.

I may go back to 10 for a while. Glad I zipped it.

I would say just about everything 10.0 is safe for 10.1 (file-wise). MAXON has been one of the best in the biz with file compatibility. I can also confirm that C4D Net files show modification times that coincide with the time I updated to 10.1 (for whatever that is worth). I can't find any logs.

-m

I mean the opposite though - like will I be able to open a 10.1 file on a machine that is running 10, and also will the render farms render files that were made with 10.1 if the farm itself is only running 10

10.0 and 10.1 are compatible, but i strongly recommend to only use 10.1

What will not work is mixing 10.1 and 10.0 clients or server, they all will need the exact same version.

Cheers

Björn

I have noticed they didn't fix the Auto Relative in the f-curve manager to work like it did in 9.6. Wish they would take care of that one.

How's that? I have mostly put 9.6 out of my mind. I just found the F-Curves snapshot feature, which is tiny... but damn handy.

-m