Sign in to follow this  
Rothermel

New Work

We just completed these two instore spots for Nike. They were each a collaboration with two great Portland designers... Aaron Sturgeon and Matt Pinski, also Darrin from Polar Empire scored the sound for us. Both pieces were given about 3 days in total, and almost no assets except for a logo and some copy to use. Of course theres a million things that we would want to do to make it better, but under such an intense deadline these pieces are what we came up with, and we're super happy with the results as are the client....

thanks,

ryan

Nike Chicago Marathon

Nike SF Womens Marathon

A couple of beauties man! Great job! I think the birds might have needed a little more "flap" to them... but they were both awesome.

agreed. i thought the same at first, then we checked out some video of seagulls and oddly enough thats how they flap... seems a bit strange, but natures beautiful like that.

Good job! 'Specially on the tight deadline.. What program you do the womens one in?

we rendered out just flat alpha mattes from maya, and composited everything in after effects.

I never read these things so forgive me if I say something someone else has already said; I would've liked to see the letters unfold like your background did.

the letters do unfold... watch again.

Kudos on the animation of the type in the Chicago piece. I noticed that at some points the unfolding letters appear to cast their shadows/reflections on the lake. It's amazing that you were able to deliver details like that on such a tight turnaround.

I wonder how much it would help if the lake was either shot footage or realflow. Too much?

nice work. I really like the SF Nike one. Love the colors and motion. But in that spot the second edit is bothering me. Didn't know what to think of the lady holding the crown and staff. Seemed kinda odd. Maybe would of flowed nice with a building or 2 in the background. She seemed to be alone with alot of white space.

But, it was nice to see. Keep it up!

nice work. I really like the SF Nike one. Love the colors and motion. But in that spot the second edit is bothering me. Didn't know what to think of the lady holding the crown and staff. Seemed kinda odd. Maybe would of flowed nice with a building or 2 in the background. She seemed to be alone with alot of white space.

But, it was nice to see. Keep it up!

great stuff ... and for such a deadline!! juice for you and the team.

you must have got some nice boards to work with.

otherwise I'm baffled as to how these were done in three days (unless there was a team of 5).

any more insight into your process?

:)

you must have got some nice boards to work with.

otherwise I'm baffled as to how these were done in three days (unless there was a team of 5).

any more insight into your process?

:)

hey thanks.

on each piece i hired just one person. there were no boards to use. we just explained what we felt would work best and just didnt ever sleep.

so, both spots were a total of 3 people with a shitload of coffee. i wish there were more insight but thats truely it.

Its great that you guys pulled that off in 3 days but I hope it doesn't give an agency or whoever the idea that 3days is all anyone needs to create something good..

hey thanks.

on each piece i hired just one person. there were no boards to use. we just explained what we felt would work best and just didnt ever sleep.

so, both spots were a total of 3 people with a shitload of coffee. i wish there were more insight but thats truely it.

Its great that you guys pulled that off in 3 days but I hope it doesn't give an agency or whoever the idea that 3days is all anyone needs to create something good..

they do anyway.

;)