Sign in to follow this  
Symbolic

Maya 8. What do you think?

Hi,

I have just tested Maya 8. It is strange... It feels like Max. They have removed (or hide... not sure) lots of menu items... there is something called "Mesh" and lots of functions are placed under different menus... It is definitely not good... What do you think? Am I who is conservative about Alias... or is it really radically changed...

Hi,

I have just tested Maya 8. It is strange... It feels like Max. They have removed (or hide... not sure) lots of menu items... there is something called "Mesh" and lots of functions are placed under different menus... It is definitely not good... What do you think? Am I who is conservative about Alias... or is it really radically changed...

Hmm. I always thought Alias had a far superior interface than competing packages, I am not sure why they would want to change it. Which menu items are missing?

Guest Sao_bento

Because it had a far superior interface than competing packages (which happen to be one of the acquiring company's flagship products).

...I do not know... they have added some new menu functions...

But I just do not like the word "MESH"... nurbs are "surfaces" now... polygons are "mesh"... some menu items that used to be things like polygon tools are now under MESH something...

they changed the names to be more like max. I guess. I dunno.... I think it's dumb too.

I've read somewhere (autodesk.com maybe?) that the menus themselves were changed because they are now customizable. I hope they don't "max" it up too much... I always preferred Maya's way of working over Max.

LOVE IT

the new menu order took a bit to get use too... but overall i dont mind... dig the improvments... at least they didnt make it look like the new c4d interface! hehe :D

LOVE IT

the new menu order took a bit to get use too... but overall i dont mind... dig the improvments... at least they didnt make it look like the new c4d interface! hehe :D

Cool. I can't wait to try it. I was worried for a minute they had tried to "dumb it down."

I was worried for a minute they had tried to "dumb it down."

seems like alot of programs are doing that these days... not saying that i want a program to be difficult to use...but sometimes it feels cheap.

Like when i saw the new pics of C4D it made me think they had added a Wizard "what kind of 3d scene would you like to make today?" then you click on a preset. hehe

oh well... there all tools, whatever fits the needs of the job

Edited by nhowe

As a fan of ugly words, from burlap to puberty to unguent to pulchitrude, I mourn the passing of the word Nurbs. Nonrational uniform B spline acronymizers of the world, a moment of silence...

ok... some things change...

Do you know if the plugins for Maya 7 like... "Shave and Hair Cut", "Glue 3D"... Real-Flow importer... Xfrog importer... and many more... Will they directly run on Maya 8? Or should we wait for upgrades...

Thanks.

Do you know if the plugins for Maya 7 like... "Shave and Hair Cut", "Glue 3D"... Real-Flow importer... Xfrog importer... and many more... Will they directly run on Maya 8? Or should we wait for upgrades...

given the way Maya has worked in the past, I would say no. The plugin makers will have to recompile for the new version. Something that has always annoyed me about Maya.

I agree that the new menu system is annoying... but it's to be expected. I'm sure eventually maya and max will grow to be more like one another and maybe even start developing even more tools for interchanging work flows between the two. It's just going to take some getting used to. If you don't like the new menus you can customize them to your liking, which is kinda nice if you take the time out to do it. But my BIGGEST issue with Maya 8 is that it seems to crash every ten minutes. Anyone else having this issue? Cuz it's starting to make me want to throw things. I'm even toying with the idea of goin back to 7 till an update comes out. But i have to say i kind of expected such a let down. Putting out a new version so close to their acquisition of maya, and so close to the upcoming release of Leopard (i'm on a mac), is a bold move...and maybe a little foolish. I'd have been perfectly content if they had waited to fix the bugs in the system, and taken the time to make maya UB and 64 bit on the mac. But then again MAX is a PC only program, which makes me scared that Autodesk will put us mac users on the back burner.

Guest Sao_bento

But then again MAX is a PC only program, which makes me scared that Autodesk will put us mac users on the back burner.

Sounds right to me.

Not sure how accurate this may be, but this was up at the GDC site:

Product Announcement

* Autodesk Maya 8.5 Unveiled At GDC 2007

Autodesk® Maya® 8.5 software gives artists enhanced creative control, enabling faster completion of complex animation and simulation tasks. Creative control is achieved through innovative new technologies such as Nucleus, Autodesk’s next-generation unified dynamics simulation framework. Python integration further extends this creative control. Maya 8.5 is also optimized for Intel-based Macs.

Not sure how accurate this may be, but this was up at the GDC site:

Product Announcement

* Autodesk Maya 8.5 Unveiled At GDC 2007

Autodesk® Maya® 8.5 software gives artists enhanced creative control, enabling faster completion of complex animation and simulation tasks. Creative control is achieved through innovative new technologies such as Nucleus, Autodesk’s next-generation unified dynamics simulation framework. Python integration further extends this creative control. Maya 8.5 is also optimized for Intel-based Macs.

Nice, I'm curious how it would run on a Quad Mac Pro. If 8.5 is being released after Leopard hopefully it will be 64-bit too. For the people who've run Maya 8 (64 bit) on Windows XP 64 or Vista, is there a big improvement?

Also, does anyone have details about Nucleus?