36 replies to this topic

#1 justinfromohio

justinfromohio

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Motion Graphics, skateboarding, and Fender guitars

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

Hey Everyone,

Longtime lurker first time poster. Just recently I've started getting burned out and just feeling stuck at work. I get home and try and force myself to do personal projects and can't stand the glow of my computer screen. I'm having an internal struggle on if this is what I want to keep doing. I came from web dev/flash background and once I learned After Effects it was on but now after about 5 years I'm getting more back into web dev and I'm at the point were I'm trying to decide how to delegate my time. I know if I try to do both they both will suffer and the work won't be good. Just seeing if this has crossed anyones mind and some opinions. 

here's a link to some of my work just for reference:

http://goo.gl/FtzTkc

Living Dude!

www.justinfromohio.com

#2 oeuf

oeuf

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

You are not alone. Unfortunately, I do not have any answers for you. At the moment, i'm plodding forward and trying to keep myself entertained. Every now and then I get put on a pitch that's interesting or I work with someone who I learn something from. I know all too well how hard it is to go home and sit in front of a computer to do my own work.

Which of the 2 do you prefer to do? the AE or web work?

#3 anothername

anothername

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

If you are totally burnt on mograph that's one thing. I find I get pretty burnt out on just being in front of the computer all the time. I've find it helps to make your personal projects less computer centric, try some live action, some hand drawn stuff, some stop motion.

I guess not really a long term solution for career malaise but a good way to shake things up and get those fun creative juices flowing in the meantime and get untethered from a glowing screen.

#4 justinfromohio

justinfromohio

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. Lately I've been doing a lot of editing as well so I think that really ads to the dislike at the job. To answer your question oeuf right now I'm prefer web work, just because it's new to me and I'm making a lot more progress and its fresh and I really don't have a any real responsibilities with it just to learn. The standard stuff is what is kind of wearing me down at the ol'job and just seeing friends transition pretty well in there development careers is another thing that has triggered this debate. In my mind interactive designer would probably be perfect do some code and still be able to animate. I'm going to throw a new reel together and see if that triggers the happy back into my life. Thanks again everyone for the responses and checking out my work. Sorry for the rambling. 

Living Dude!

www.justinfromohio.com

#5 joedonaldson

joedonaldson

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:21 AM

Depending on where you are at, I would also consider going freelance. I have found that the longer I stay with one place it's harder to keep the spark alive. We are all creatures of habit and like to get comfortable. Granted, every situation is different, but one of the best things about freelance to me is the variety and being able to experience different environments and workflows. 

Formerly Novus4D

www.joedonaldson.tv

#6 C.Smith

C.Smith

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,936 posts
  • Interests:Keepin it real.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

I think there's a few things to think about.  

One, grass is always greener.  So there will simply be times when the "other thing" looks more appealing.  Those times will always come and go.  So look at the deep ocean swells or tides of your experiences and not the "chop" on the tops of your waves when it comes to your thoughts and emotions about a job.  If you follow the chop you will be a mental wreck.

I think it's common for people to have a job and a side hobby.  On one hand it's good to have a job you love and would be your hobby, but at the same time, doing it for a living has a way of ruining it for you as well.  I had a friend when we were teenagers who loved to hang out with me and play at the public pool.  Until that summer he got a job there and became a lifeguard.  Guess who stopped ever wanting to hang out there and play?

We have ad agency people call us every few months wanted to have lunch out of nowhere and it almost always ends up with a "I'm sick of my job, can you guys make me a : director / producer / exec producer?".  Yet they went to school and had all their experiences in the ad game, not the film game.  But they have these pivital moments I guess where they get sick of it.  I will note for the record that not one of them has ever gone on to ever produce / direct / exec produce.  Whereas I've directed commercials for a 13 years now and a feature film before that and I daydream about being a quiet TD in a back room of a major effects house getting asked to program cool plugins and solutions for their artists.  That's why I hang out here at mograph.  I have a real job, but I admire all the things that you rugrats do. My point is.  No matter what the job, you will always admire something else and focus a lot of attention on it.  So you should ask yourself is it your personal interest or your career path destiny?

Another thing to think about is your age and where it's all leading you.  Harry "Gray Machine" Frank had a brilliant post a few years back about age, being over the constant struggle of being a mograph artist and the long hours to appease someone else or someone else's career.  When you're a teenager or in your 20's or early 30's it seems reasonable but there's a point where you grow out of your give-a-shit to do that.  When you have a wife and kids you will then be questioning why you waste your life clocking in crazy grueling hours, missing time with them which is the most important commodity to you at this point.  SO, understand from this 41 year old - old dog.  Life moves fast as fuck.  I barely remember my 30's they flashed by so quick.  Make plans that set you up for how you will feel in your 40s and beyond.  Work towards that always.  Don't be satisfied because you got a chance to work on some AE comps or some sites for some folks.  For that is just the beginning.  Where is that leading to?  What is your end game?

chris smith :: some of my work

#7 the_Monkey

the_Monkey

simian

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

*slow clap*

spoken like a man with couple decades/drinks deep.

not much to add.

-m

#8 jblessing

jblessing

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Mograph, VR, Arch Viz

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

Chris Smith nailed it.

I think everyone gets to this at some point in their career. The toughest part, at least for me, is figuring out what *really* is causing the burnout. Is it boredom with mograph? Is it lack of "end game" with mograph? is it just creative burnout? Is it your employer grinding you down? Is it coworkers? Is it lack of time off? Is it personal/family problems? Is it physical/psychological?...I think you get the idea. We don't stop enjoying what we once loved to do for no reason.

Regardless of the cause and fix, digging deep to figure out your motivations is never a bad thing to do.

If you're looking for just a non-personal comparison between industries, I'm sure we can give you some biased answers here too.

My 2 cents: Compare the number of successful IPOs on techcrunch.com vs the bankrupt vfx/design companies on fxguide.com/etc. Which industry can scale? Which has better profit margins? Which provides the lifestyle/locations you want?

---------------------------
johnblessing.com

#9 justinfromohio

justinfromohio

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

Thanks for the responses. Chris you nailed it. I'm taking a step back and going to clear my head make the decision I think is right, I still want to do motion graphics but to what extent I guess that's what I need to decide.  When you brought up age and end game, those are the two things that have been on my mind a lot and kind of what sparked this thought. I'm turning 30 in a couple months and I'm probably just having a freak out because holy shit it's 30, but I know it's not that big of a deal. 

Living Dude!

www.justinfromohio.com

#10 Carey

Carey

Wise Sage of mograph / formerly known as Binky

• Admin
  • 969 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

I had that same mini-freakout heading to 30, but it's silly in hindsight. In your 30's, you'll look back at your 20's the same way you look back on your teens now. Basically, "that kid didn't know shit" is the sentiment, in the best way. And hopefully you keep growing, so that at every point in your life, you look back and say "I'm better now." So really, the anxiety of being older should be excitement for what you've yet to become. This is almost universally true, except for people who stop growing, like those dead souls who think their best years were in high school. Be excited. You've got a long way to go.

#11 este.eri

este.eri

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Motion Graphics

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

I had that same mini-freakout heading to 30, but it's silly in hindsight. In your 30's, you'll look back at your 20's the same way you look back on your teens now. Basically, "that kid didn't know shit" is the sentiment, in the best way. And hopefully you keep growing, so that at every point in your life, you look back and say "I'm better now." So really, the anxiety of being older should be excitement for what you've yet to become. This is almost universally true, except for people who stop growing, like those dead souls who think their best years were in high school. Be excited. You've got a long way to go.

I am almost 40 years old and I try to live by this that Binky wrote. When I started it did not even have the official "motion graphics" name  and I rocked the now obsolete "Basic 3D" filter on lots of projects... and even after almost 20 years, I still feel like I am just ok at this stuff. I know I am not great like a bunch of people here... but shit, I just can't imagine doing anything else. So I keep at it.

#12 Beaver

Beaver

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

If you can support yourself with freelance work, you can use your current career to fund a search for a new one. That's what I'm doing right now, and I'm so glad I did. Maybe you'll find something new that you love, or maybe you won't, but either way I think it's a worthwhile endeavor.

#13 parallax

parallax

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:27 AM

Any career in an advertising related industry is pretty much unfuckingsustainable. Check the divource rates (or even better, lack-of-marriage-rate): leading all other industries.

Edited by parallax, 11 October 2013 - 06:27 AM.

Robot dinosaurs might be useful. You have my authorization.

#14 bmathews415

bmathews415

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:05 AM

Great thread guys! Now if you'll excuse me I have to go kill myself.

#15 sbmotiondesign

sbmotiondesign

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:25 AM

Great thread guys! Now if you'll excuse me I have to go kill myself.

I have to say that I do miss these kinds of posts, curious to know how this worked out for Justin.

#16 jayfaker

jayfaker

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:38 PM

Great thread. Especially since now I'm in a similar boat. Thanks for digging this up.

I guess I should dig around the archives for all the great advice. Maybe we could start a thread that links to the best stuff.

Edited by jayfaker, 19 January 2015 - 04:39 PM.

#17 Grundly

Grundly

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Bicycles, pizza.

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:04 PM

Very "January" thoughts.

#18 sbmotiondesign

sbmotiondesign

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

Very "January" thoughts.

That's very true. Come April 15th the attitude becomes...

Edited by sbmotiondesign, 19 January 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#19 vozzz

vozzz

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:59 AM

i dont understand how or why people want to leave mograph. it is the most diverse occupation with the most directions for potential growth i have ever heard off. There are soooo many things you can learn that will be useful. You can direct yourself towards character design, learn animal anatomy, story telling, you can go on a more macro level and write stories, you can learn biology and all kinds of awesome things about plants and how they grow and then use those skills in animation, or move into a more of a medical vizualization direction, learn more chemistry. Or you can learn to code and develop all kind of creative solutions to a massive amount of infinitly varied problems. Or you can learn VFX and blow stuff up, morph water into fire. and the list just goes on. And especially in our day and age where you can learn all this from your home. And i didn't even touch the interactive side of this. I mean, interactive projection mapping?! and then tie in any of the above mentioned areas into it. Growing a plant which is influenced by body movement and the time of day/weather outside. Comon, how cool is that?

And the great thing is this is all cumulative. You learn something, you change direction and the stuff come back in unexpected way.

-Aleksey

------------------

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#20 este.eri

este.eri

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Motion Graphics

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:48 PM

i dont understand how or why people want to leave mograph.

Sadly, it's a tough industry. Depending of were you work, things always take longer than they were originally planned. Clients will almost always value your performance based on the last job you did and the preassure is always there to navigate the subjective view of descicion makers, that is, if you are lucky to not have a pyramid of people that you need to climb before floating that little quicktime to the right person. Add to this, shrinking budgets, high accesibility of technology and the globalization of these services and you do have a pretty good recepie for a tough career path. The choice is to adapt to these changes and work smarter not harder. I hope my kids have some memory of me not sitting at this computer.  Before you know it, you've spent decades doing this shit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users