• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:49 PM

Looking impressive but waiting for the real reviews!

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/microsoft-introduces-surface-studio-shows-apple-rivalry-alive-and-well-20161026-gsbmjx.html 

#2 oeuf

oeuf

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:30 AM

Someone posted this on slack:

https://www.penny-ar...-surface-studio

It's definitely promising.

I would love to see Microsoft make a version of this that plugs into your existing box for use.

#3 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:19 AM

Thats great! I was waiting for a review! Reads well and I'm keen. I don't see an immediate need as I'm pretty heavy with AE but it seems like a step in the right direction!

#4 C.Smith

C.Smith

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,936 posts
  • Interests:Keepin it real.

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:05 PM

Wow.  This feels weird replying in mograph after quite a while.  I have to say, After being a Machead for a couple of decades+, I am very disillusioned with Apple since Steve passed away.  Everything MS seems to be doing in the last few years is doing Apple better than Apple.  This Surface and the surface notebook look pretty amazing I have to say.  I think my only reservation with switching over would be that I use ProRes constantly for everything and am unsure how integrated you can have ProRes in Win10.  Between releasing a "Pro" computer once recently 3 years ago and now down to stupid changes like a 'cancel' key instead of 'esc', I just don't know what the hell Apple is up to anymore.  I may get a Surface book as my gateway experience.

With the Surface Studio, what are the primary means of using connected hardware like RAIDs and Video SDI boxes and such?  On MacPro everything is Thunderbolt.  Is PC using Thunderbolt as well or other solution?

chris smith :: some of my work

#5 Carey

Carey

Wise Sage of mograph / formerly known as Binky

• Admin
  • 969 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:45 AM

Wow.  This feels weird replying in mograph after quite a while.

GTFO, you casual.

Seriously, switching all over to windows would be monumentally painful, but holy snaps that studio is lookin hot.

And yeah, it looks to be usb 3.

4 USB 3.0

Full-size SD card reader (SDXC compatible)
Mini Displayport
3.5mm headset jack

#6 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:41 AM

I did just see this...

#7 destro

destro

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:25 PM

That's a laptop with a really nice touch screen attached.

#8 vozzz

vozzz

• Members
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:21 PM

honestly, i have very limited use for it, but i just REALLY want one :D

-Aleksey

------------------

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#9 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

GTFO, you casual.

Seriously, switching all over to windows would be monumentally painful

Would it though? (Hi Binky.  Miss you, Boo)

I've been thinking a lot about this the last few days.  I feel I represent a lot of folks in software use and everything is so cloud based now, would it really make a difference?  Like I use my computers as a dummy terminal already as of late:

Music : Spotify - cloud based / runs on PC

Files: Dropbox / Cloud based.  I never store files on my computers directly anymore.  All SAVEs go to my dropbox account.  No more Documents folder or Desktop or what have you.  So I buy windows , install Dropbox Desktop app and continue with life.

Adobe CC: Cloud based / Runs on PC

Editing / Color / Composite: DaVinci Resolve / Nuke / Fusion.  All PC compatible

Music: Ableton Live & ProTools / PC compatible

Email: Cloud Based

Chat: Slack / Cloud based

Text based notes and files : Evernote / Cloud based

Game Dev: Unity / PC compatible

My only issue is how "Native" ProRes works on Windows.  Outside of that I feel like I would buy a PC and set in a shitload of passwords and download all the same software and life moves on.

Possible hang-ups:

My giant library of Mac Formatted drives.

Film business only passes around mac formatted drives from shoots.

Drives / Drives / Drives

Even if I format my new drives as exFAT, I only interact with people who assume Mac formatting.

Advantages:

- Touch with a real OS and not iOS.

- Video game mecca

- I like how Windows has universal apps that are for mobile and PC.  Not that I would own a Windows phone.  But I think it's slick on your PC with touch to watch Hulu / Netflix / YouTube and all that as apps and not websites.

Disadvantages (assuming switch out my laptop to PC as well)

- No iMessage which the majority of my friends, family, and colleagues use.  Windows has "people" but I know one person with a PC.

- No more making/receiving calls from my laptop with the iPhone.

All of this justification so I can have a giant surface studio on a laptop stand in bed to watch giant movies with my fingers :)

#10 zook

zook

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:35 PM

I've been thinking about this too. I'd consider keeping an iMac, MacBook or even a Mac Mini at the side of the PC would solve the problems of transferring data or accessing archived projects. You could use your current Mac if you have room; my aging 2010 tower needs updating but I'd consider a PC and leave the older Mac for swapping stuff about or doing the odd thing it'd be easer to do using the Mac rather than on the PC.

Ars longa, vita brevis.

#11 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:43 PM

Possible hang-ups:

My giant library of Mac Formatted drives.

Film business only passes around mac formatted drives from shoots.

Drives / Drives / Drives

Even if I format my new drives as exFAT, I only interact with people who assume Mac formatting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can just get a simple app that lets you access Mac formatted drives on your windows machine. I have something similar to access PC formatting drives. I'm sure the utility was free (not on my home machine atm) but I've had no issues. In saying that I have not had to transfer large quantities of data.

#12 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:46 PM

honestly, i have very limited use for it, but i just REALLY want one :D

Haha same! I wish I drew more... 

#13 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:12 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can just get a simple app that lets you access Mac formatted drives on your windows machine. I have something similar to access PC formatting drives. I'm sure the utility was free (not on my home machine atm) but I've had no issues. In saying that I have not had to transfer large quantities of data.

You may be right.  Here is a page describing options.  Option #3 looks pretty good.  Appears that it makes it seamless so that File Explorer treats it native.  I wonder if speed is affected.  Any normal documents I don't care about as I'll have it on Dropbox.  The issue is shit tons of camera data from shoots that are unrealistic to keep on Dropbox and you need hella speed from your RAID.

But if Mac drives in general appear as native, that will help a lot in the feeling comfortable with it area.

#14 parallax

parallax

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:06 AM

I'm almost 50/50 cross platform.

Since switching my days are filled with dread.

Robot dinosaurs might be useful. You have my authorization.

#15 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:19 AM

The issue is shit tons of camera data from shoots that are unrealistic to keep on Dropbox and you need hella speed from your RAID.

But if Mac drives in general appear as native, that will help a lot in the feeling comfortable with it area.

Yeah option 3 does look good. Yeah that's the question. In theory I don't see why transfer speeds would be any different but it would be great if someone could chime in.

I'm almost 50/50 cross platform.

Since switching my days are filled with dread.

Interesting, what have your issues been? I've very close to building a windows rig...

#16 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:24 AM

My only issue is how "Native" ProRes works on Windows.  Outside of that I feel like I would buy a PC and set in a shitload of passwords and download all the same software and life moves on.

Again I have no experience of this but I believe I've read a few threads / articles that talk about gamma shift on export but I don't know if that's just a codec issue or a windows specific issue. Very happy for someone else to speak of their experience.

#17 VelocityVideo

VelocityVideo

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:44 PM

I use MediaFour's "MacDrive" at home and at work to deal with Mac hard drives when they come in.  It's fantastic.  I have a virtual PowerPC Mac to run my old games that resides on a CompactFlash card - it even works with that old legacy stuff.  I've even repaired corrupted Mac drives with it from my PC.

Cf

"Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." - John 3:7

#18 magictea

magictea

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:50 PM

I've not had any problems working with prores on pc the decoder part works fine, the problem is there is no encoder for pc so you would have to change your workflow to DNX or something. That might cause difficulty client or co-worker side as they would have to install extra codecs etc. I use exfat for everything these days anyway and not had any problems switching between operating systems.

Fonts always seem to be the biggest issue for me, also missing all the little things that you rely on like quicklook and expose. Windows is getting better for those kind of things but its still not as fluid at doing things like support for image thumbnails etc.

#19 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:27 AM

I read that a lot about quick look. EDIT:

I did just find this though...

http://www.howtogeek...ure-to-windows/

Edited by Basic, 02 November 2016 - 05:34 AM.

#20 jeickholt

jeickholt

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:34 AM

I switched to pc completely a few years ago and here are some things that made it easy

Read write Mac drives on windows. They show up with all the other drives

https://www.paragon-...me/hfs-windows/

A explorer replacement the is mac like (or better than)

https://www.gpsoft.com.au

Prores encoder/decoder

http://www.miraizon....csoverview.html

Windows 10 works really well and there isn't really anything you can't do in the mograph/animation world with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users