• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:42 PM

Anyone considering or too little too late?

https://www.apple.com/au/imac-pro/specs/ 

I've heard of issues with over heating with the late 2014 models. I wonder if this has been addressed?

Who is it actually aimed at? 3D?

#2 ianfreeze

ianfreeze

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:cheating death

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:44 AM

Not considering this one, per se, however it does give me hope. The fact that they're willing to drop an 18 core proc into an iMac makes me wonder what they'll throw in the future Mac Pro. Theres real hope that I won't have to move to Windows after all...

#3 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:55 AM

Yeah I know what you mean. I have been holding out for 3 years now and ive read that much on windows i'm very tempted. In saying that though i'd like to hear some tests when they come through. I've got the original 5k iMac and although great for what I want will soon start to slow down. 

Holding out for the Mac Pro?

#4 scott frizzle

scott frizzle

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

I agree that the revamped iMacs are more of a sign of hope than a truly professional solution for high end users.  As stated above, if they are willing to go that far with the iMac Pro, then the next Mac Pro *should* be the animal we've all wanted it to be for years. I'm very reluctant to switch to Windows but certainly not against it, especially considering my late 2013 Mac Pro is now seriously outclassed by any new Windows workstation.  I already feel like I've waited too long so it's probably 50-50 odds that I get a serious Windows workstation as a hedge, and see what happens with Apple over the next year or two.

It seems that we have VR to thank for Apple's new found interest in performance.  Without it I'm not sure Apple wouldn't have let their pro machines die a slow, quiet death.  I do wonder how much of the high end market will be left once they finally roll out a new Mac Pro though.  I think they are going to need something beyond a stylish box with performance on par with the Windows world to break back into that market in a significant way. Perhaps something involving Metal 2 or some other Apple specific technology to differentiate?  Time will tell.

#5 ianfreeze

ianfreeze

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:cheating death

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

Metal & Metal 2 are interesting to me. Writing those APIs while the companies that make the GPUs also write their own versions (CUDA & OpenCL) seems redundant. Unless they are planning to start building their own GPUs... which would be interesting to say the least.

Holding out for the Mac Pro?

Yes. It's going to cost as much as a car, but I'll have my column view dammit.

Unrelated side note, I'm glad there are still a few die hards out there that still come to mograph.net every now & then. I really love this place.

Edited by ianfreeze, 06 June 2017 - 06:38 PM.

#6 Carey

Carey

Wise Sage of mograph / formerly known as Binky

• Admin
  • 967 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:39 PM

Unrelated side note, I'm glad there are still a few die hards out there that still come to mograph.net every now & then. I really love this place.

All 3 of us.

We love you too.

#7 oeuf

oeuf

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

There are plenty of shops still holding out with their 2010 Mac Pros and iMacs, it's quite sad.

I'm glad Apple is trying something with the iMac Pro. Gives hope that maybe, just maybe, a Mac Pro would be decent.

And I'm a Windows user...

#8 Mr_Tibbs

Mr_Tibbs

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:22 PM

I think the iMac Pro is a triage and the Mac Pro will carry similar (albeit updated) components, just in a more modular design; The iMac Pro isn't even coming out until 2018. Also, Phil Schiler said this on April 4th of this year: 

"With regards to the Mac Pro, we are in the process of what we call “completely rethinking the Mac Pro”. We’re working on it. We have a team working hard on it right now, and we want to architect it so that we can keep it fresh with regular improvements, and we’re committed to making it our highest-end, high-throughput desktop system, designed for our demanding pro customers."

With the triaged iMac Pro coming out in "2018", I highly doubt we'll see a "completely rethought" model anytime in 2018, possibly into the first half of 2019. 

In the meantime you're looking at a current non-modular, heat limited mac Pro with meager components in relation to what you're paying. If you're really willing to stick it out that long, more power to you. Personally I moved on from a 4k iMac to building out my own custom windows box and while windows isn't macOS it does have amazing hardware support and (arguably just as important) better OS level implementation of GPU accelerated drivers. Mix in the AMDs newly released Ryzen multi-core chips, and upcoming "Threadripper" architecture and you're looking at being able to build a monster moGraph machine for a fraction of the cost of the current mac pro, upcoming iMac Pro (which only supports OpenCL related GPU acceleration), and definitely the future modular New Mac Pro (whenever that comes out).

Making good work is more important to me than loyalty to the OS. Yes MacOS is much more seamless, but I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze anymore.

#9 scott frizzle

scott frizzle

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

I agree that the current Mac Pro is a non starter; they should have cut the price in half when they announced that they were going back to the drawing board.  At some points in the past Apple seemed to have hit the sweet spot with their pro machines, where they cost a bit more than a comparable PC, but offered similar performance but had better design, build quality, etc, plus the benefits of the Mac OS.  The old G5 Quad comes to mind as a machine that they got mostly right, but there have been others.  I still think that the new Mac Pro needs to be something beyond simply breaking out the iMac Pro into modular parts.  I am hoping that Phil Schiller's comment about completely rethinking the Mac Pro means that there are at least some people in the room saying "This needs to be the best f'ing machine for professional users, period."  I'm old enough to remember when they would announce a new top of the line Mac at the Macworld expo, and they would always have a "drag race" between the new Mac and a comparable PC to show how fast the Mac was.  This is the mentality they need to have with their new pro machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users