75 replies to this topic

#61 vozzz

vozzz

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:06 PM

Just bumping this, since lots of people seem to be looking for it. also updated my post with one commander, so now you can get column view in windows.

-Aleksey

------------------

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#62 Neue Method®

Neue Method®

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

Finally made the jump from Mac to PC, after using a Mac for almost 10 years. However I started originally with Windows 3.1 / 95. Trying to make this transition as easy as possible... I was wondering if anyone had solutions for the following:

01 - Is it possible to use tabs within Windows 10, similar to OSX?

02 - Is there a quick way to preview files / images without using Adobe Bridge? (For example: The spacebar within OSX)

03 - In Windows 10, a lot of times when I type, a virtual keyboard appears. Is there a way to disable this?

04 - Is the only replacement for QT Pro, VLC?

Ryan Massiah — Art Direction / Motion Design

ryan-massiah.com

#63 VelocityVideo

VelocityVideo

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:17 PM

1 - Alt-Tab cycles thru applications.  Hovering over the icons of open apps on the taskbar will bring up smaller snapshots of their open windows. Control-Tab cycles through windows open in the current app.  Shift reverses direction.

2 - I think there are some third party solutions for this, I've never tried any.  I get thumbnails of most video formats and CR2 files in Windows Explorer, but that's it.

3 - Do you have a touch screen?  I think the two are related.  I've never tried to turn that off on my laptop.  I bet it's under Ease of Access in the control panel.

This reminds me, right-clicking on the Windows icon in the taskbar (Start button) will give you some options such as the Control Panel, which is NOT the same as Settings.  Seems infinitely more useful for anyone who isn't a grandmother.

4 - You can do Quicktime Pro on Windows, but it's advised to install just the codecs and not the Quicktime Player or browser components.  That's what I do.  Of course that won't be enough to generate ProRes files, but you can work with existing files.

The one feature I've always liked about Windows is the hotkeys.  You'll have the expected modifiers with the Windows key, Alt key, and Control key, but being able to just tap the Alt button and navigate around is really handy for people who have been working with Windows for a long time.  I also prefer Windows Explorer to Finder for actual file operations, even though it's missing some of the other productivity features such as Quick Look.

Cf

"Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." - John 3:7

#64 Neue Method®

Neue Method®

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:06 AM

Thank you for sharing your knowledge to my questions VelocityVideo! 

01 - I am aware of the tab setup, so that you can cycle through multiple windows. But I was hoping the functionality would be more along the lines of when you are viewing a website. Having one window, and multiple pages along the top.

02 - I will have to further explore this

03 - Unfortunately I do not. But I need to further explore the option within the control panel to turn this off. Because I find it very annoying.

04 - It's good to know that you can.

ryan-massiah.com

#65 oeuf

oeuf

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:16 AM

02 - Is there a quick way to preview files / images without using Adobe Bridge? (For example: The spacebar within OSX)

http://1218.io/

#66 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

The transition is now complete! 

#67 ChrisC

ChrisC

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:46 PM

04 - Is the only replacement for QT Pro, VLC?

Try DJV: http://djv.sourceforge.net/

It takes minimal interface to a new level, but it's full featured, plays DNxHD and ProRes AND .exr sequences (QTPro couldn't do that). And it's open source. And free. Nice.

24bf9daa-ac5a-47b1-9444-27f921d41277_rw_

#68 ianfreeze

ianfreeze

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:cheating death

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:03 AM

Seer checks off one of the "I really want that" boxes for windows. The other is column view. Has anyone found a good solution here?

I know I can download some other explorer options but none of them look super great so I want to know what you lot have found.

#69 AromaKat

AromaKat

Mrowwr!

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:08 AM

Column view, or lack thereof, is just one of those things thats difficult to get over. Personally.... I hate column view with a passion. I think its just one of those things we get used to either direction. Just use normal windows explorer. All third party explorer view alternatives provide a poor experience

"Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell, and advertise."
- Ted Turner

#70 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:09 AM

Seer checks off one of the "I really want that" boxes for windows. The other is column view. Has anyone found a good solution here?

Yeah thats the main one for me!

I know I can download some other explorer options but none of them look super great so I want to know what you lot have found.

One Commander seems to be getting good reviews but its interesting what AromaKat said. 

#71 Neue Method®

Neue Method®

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:41 AM

Thank you Oeuf and ChrisC. These little nuggets do make the experience back to Windows a bit more enjoyable. However after a month (I know it's early) of using Windows 10, I think I might stick with my Mac for all of my design work. And use my new PC build, for 3D only.

Edited by Neue Method®, 11 January 2017 - 04:41 AM.

ryan-massiah.com

#72 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:51 AM

Thank you Oeuf and ChrisC. These little nuggets do make the experience back to Windows a bit more enjoyable. However after a month (I know it's early) of using Windows 10, I think I might stick with my Mac for all of my design work. And use my new PC build, for 3D only.

Has it been difficulty to get in the flow with using windows?

#73 Neue Method®

Neue Method®

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:18 AM

@Basic - It wasn't too difficult. However I did need a refresher course because it has been many years / versions, since I have last used Windows. So I literally had to watch several Youtube videos to see what was new in Windows 10. And overall just learn the short cuts and understand the OS better. Unfortunately it's just a bit too clunky after using a Mac for so many years after. But maybe my opinion will change after several months.

ryan-massiah.com

#74 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:57 AM

Cool and thanks for the insight. On the one hand I'm excited to not use Mac and build a spec'd out machine that I want... but I am a little scared its a case of thinking the grass is greener... we shall see. Thanks again!

#75 jcrash

jcrash

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:13 PM

Yeah thats the main one for me!

One Commander seems to be getting good reviews but its interesting what AromaKat said. 

I use One Commander when I'm sifting through image stock. You can see a preview of most in the thumb window, which makes it handy. Still, nothing that I've found that supports thumbs which is kind of annoying.

Nevermind, found a solution after posting this: https://answers.micr...e7-b28b256a4516

Also Icaros for thumbnails for .movs (even pro res and animation codec .movs) http://www.videohelp...software/Icaros

And Fast Picture Viewer Codec Pack for .psd thumbnails in explorer. Super handy when looking for assets!

Edited by jcrash, 16 February 2017 - 04:25 PM.

#76 Neue Method®

Neue Method®

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

I have found this series at School of Motion to be very useful.

http://www.schoolofm...-transition-pc/

ryan-massiah.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mac, pc, switch, transition, workstation, apps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users