10 replies to this topic

#1 Grundly

Grundly

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Bicycles, pizza.

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:52 AM

I tried searching this today, and couldn't find it on this forum, so I thought I would post both PC and Mac ways here. These can be found easily enough by google searching, but I figured might as well post it here for people who have not considered it before.

Combined with Milkshake's BG Render script, this can save a lot of time. Especially when you need to just pull open a project and don't want to close the current one you are working on.

PC:
-Right click on the shortcut on the desktop
-Go to Properties
-In the first "Target field", add -m after the quotations. Make sure there is a space after the quotations.

I tried doing this with Premiere on the PC and it didn't work. That's about the only other program I think it could be useful for.

Mac:
-Navigate to your AE Folder
-Right click on the program icon and choose "Open package contents"
-Navigate to Contents--->MacOs---->Then make an alias to the After Effects Executable (put the Alias somewhere for quick access i.e. the dock)

And I guess there are some ways you can do this easily enough with Quicksilver on the Mac. Well enjoy, hopefully somebody finds this useful.

P.S. After starting a BG render with Milkshake's script, you can close that project and open a different one (another "in case you didn't know..."). I think that is really cool. I didn't expect it to be able to do that for some reason.

#2 Mr. Sam

Mr. Sam

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

I do this in cinema 4d, but I simply duplicated the Cinema Application and renamed it. I wonder if the aliasing trick will work in cinema as well.

#3 Grundly

Grundly

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

Yeah, I just tried it on a mac and it works exactly the same.

#4 Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:11 AM

Almost six years to the day, this thread just saved me. Trying to quickly spit out a render, but the expressions in the project break when I use aerender (I have no idea why this is a problem, always drives me mad).

Popped open a few copies of AE, and now things are running along smoothly. Awesome.

#5 vozzz

vozzz

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,007 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

when do you need to run multiple instances of cinema?

-Aleksey

------------------

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#6 hello.ahay

hello.ahay

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:41 PM

You can also use terminal on OSX to do this. In a new window type:

"open -n" then drop your AE launcher/app into the window, hit return and viola. Works for any program as far as I can tell. 

#7 Grundly

Grundly

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

Almost six years to the day, this thread just saved me. Trying to quickly spit out a render, but the expressions in the project break when I use aerender (I have no idea why this is a problem, always drives me mad).

Popped open a few copies of AE, and now things are running along smoothly. Awesome.

Haha, hilarious. I don't even remember posting this. Guess I've been doing this stuff "a while now".

#8 dotcommer

dotcommer

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Interests: Motion Graphics

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:04 AM

I'd also highly recommend BGRender Pro if you're not familiar with it already.

#9 Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:26 PM

I'd also highly recommend BGRender Pro if you're not familiar with it already.

That wouldn't actually solve my problem. BGRender Pro uses aerender to render things in the background, but aerender chokes on a lot of expressions. No idea why.

The only thing that's worked is actually rendering things in the AE GUI--I assume that it evaluates expressions slightly differently than aerender.

#10 dotcommer

dotcommer

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Interests: Motion Graphics

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:05 PM

Oh right, of course.  I forget BGRender uses the command line render.  Never mind.

Is this a new thing you're noticing?  Or has this always been an issue?  I'm wondering if there's a connection to the version of After effects and your OS version.  This may be something to send off to Todd Kopriva.

#11 Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:14 PM

Always been an issue. Unfortunately, it's hard to put a test case together, because it only happens on large projects, though it seems like the problem is usually triggered by grabbing properties from layers in other comps.

Honestly, seeing as how we're all still on CS6, I doubt we'd see a fix even if the problem could be isolated. There are way bigger bugs that I don't expect to see patched.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users