School of Motion Graduates ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 flippyfloop

flippyfloop

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

Anyone on here graduated from the School of Motion Graphic Design course ?

I'm in a situation where I'm very familiar with C4D, AE, PS, Zbrush, etc...

Feel that my design skills should be better and holding me back, so thinking of signing up to this course.

It's a reasonable amount of money for me and would love to hear from people that have already done it or feel that it's worth it / not worth it ?

Cheers.

Edited by flippyfloop, 20 March 2017 - 03:15 PM.

#2 Carey

Carey

Wise Sage of mograph / formerly known as Binky

• Admin
  • 969 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:16 PM

I'd love to hear how people are doing with that course too.

If it helps in the meantime, here are a few short videos exploring design for motion graphics:

https://www.youtube....po3F1z_&index=6

#3 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

Carey's videos are great.

Flippyflop have you had any formal education in this before?

#4 flippyfloop

flippyfloop

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:35 PM

I’ll check out the videos today, cheers.

No proper formal training. I attended a very rubbish, part time course two years ago. It was a few hours a week for about four months. It was a Graphic Design course but the teacher was awful IMO. She was really into textiles and knew nothing about PS, Illustrator…Hadn’t even heard of C4D. It was frustrating.

I’ve been using C4D for 8 years & rest for 7. Gone through a million tutorials, made everyday for a short while, etc… I really want to push this as a career but I do feel that my design skills are lacking and also need mentors / projects / deadlines. In a rut and feel this course may help ?

Could spend the money on some GTX980ti’s for Octane instead, lol.

#5 Carey

Carey

Wise Sage of mograph / formerly known as Binky

• Admin
  • 969 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:57 PM

I just looked at http://www.mographmentor.com and it looks expensive, but not quite art school expensive. Would be interesting to hear if anyone's gone through that, as well.

#6 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:13 AM

Yeah formal art / design education is something I never had when I started. Couldn't recommend it enough. I started using AE but after a year or two realised my work was terrible. I didn't understand any design principles or any animation principles! After going to uni I learnt a hell of a lot but they kind of skipped the design part.

Its always great to be in that environment when people can help each other. So some class would be great!

Anyways this is not about me! Good luck and looking forward to hearing which path you take!

#7 flippyfloop

flippyfloop

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

I'm signed up so fingers crossed. I'll keep you all updated with my progress & thanks for the input.

Cheers.

#8 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:05 AM

Awesome and enjoy the ride!

#9 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:21 AM

I did see this as well...

http://www.paulhpaulino.com/how-learning-new-skills-changed-my-career-as-a-digital-artist/ 

#10 flippyfloop

flippyfloop

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

Fantastic article. Thanks for sharing.

#11 Dansayshi

Dansayshi

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Playing with things, making things, Kicking things, plucking things, doing things

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

I'm doing the current session of the Design Bootcamp for just the same reasons that you mentioned, Flippy; I'm woefully behind in the class because of actual client work, but I will say I think it's been worth it. It definitely has made me look at things I do with a much more critical eye, and with a greater sense of purpose for the decisions I make. That alone has been worth the price of admission for me, but I can't say if it would be helpful to everyone.

Everything they did revolved around submitting boards from Photoshop in the end, with little smattering of 3D (C4D) and vector (Illustrator) thrown in for good measure. I personally wasn't looking for technical direction since I can get that for free elsewhere. It's been the critiques of the TA's and classmates that have been the most invaluable for me.

Hope this helps! 

--
Dan
www.dmelius.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users