• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Carey

Carey

Wise Sage of mograph / formerly known as Binky

• Admin
  • 969 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:12 AM

Friend of mine walked into a microsoft store to check it out. Said it was pretty cool, but you can't really rest your hand on it and draw comfortably because it registers the touch as a command, although it's not supposed to. Sample size of 1 suggests a major flaw here. Still lookin to play with it myself, because maybe just maybe he's got weird hands.

#22 C.Smith

C.Smith

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,936 posts
  • Interests:Keepin it real.

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:34 PM

Friend of mine walked into a microsoft store to check it out. Said it was pretty cool, but you can't really rest your hand on it and draw comfortably because it registers the touch as a command, although it's not supposed to. Sample size of 1 suggests a major flaw here. Still lookin to play with it myself, because maybe just maybe he's got weird hands.

I went to the MS store last week for the first time ever to check it out.  The store was dead in the middle of the day (whereas the Apple store nearby was packed).  I played with it for about 20 minutes.  I found the opposite.  The palm rejection was impressive.  I'm not a pro drawerererer, but I could sketch on it with my hand laying on it just fine and it only picked up what the pen was doing.  That being said, the minimum threshold of a stroke was pretty high.  So don't excited about drawing wispy hairs on it.

But after playing with it and poking around Win10 a little bit, it seemed lovely to use and look at.  I like how it has that snapping system.  So when you want to make an app full screen or share a screen it always felt very clean and well organized.  Obviously you can still have a bunch of oddly shaped windows scattered all around if that's your preference, but I found it had a better system than OSX about having screens full size and not being a pain in the ass to switch between or get out of that mode.

chris smith :: some of my work

#23 VelocityVideo

VelocityVideo

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

Yeah, I've wondered for years how people who like hotkeys and maximizing windows can possibly stand working on a Mac - because that drives me nuts about MacOS.  Windows reminds me of a JCPenney newspaper ad in its current iteration, but as always I can move around in it very quickly.

Cf

"Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." - John 3:7

#24 superegophobia

superegophobia

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:13 AM

I also like the window snapping function in Win10. Ended up installing a similar functionality called 'Moom' for OSX that lets you do the full/half/quarter screen by dragging to sides/corners.
https://manytricks.com/moom/

#25 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:53 PM

I also like the window snapping function in Win10. Ended up installing a similar functionality called 'Moom' for OSX that lets you do the full/half/quarter screen by dragging to sides/corners.

Bought it.  LOVE IT.  That is what MacOS should have been doing for 20 years.

#26 magictea

magictea

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:19 PM

Windows snap is nice in windows 10 I always miss it when I'm on mac. The win+tab is much improved as well & works a lot more like expose on mac now

#27 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:46 AM

Echo......echo.....  IF anyone is still out there reading this.  I bought a Surface Studio last December.  Arrived mid Jan.  I'm in total love with it as hardware and the Windows 10 experience.  I've been a Mac head since the early 90's and now I don't give a shit about it anymore.  I spend all my time on the Studio and it's a bummer when I pick up my Macbook Pro or mess with the Trash can Mac.  I installed some helper apps to be more mac like (like Snag it and programmed it to simulate OSX's cropped screen grabs to desktop functionality).  And I'm happy as a clam.  I miss iMessage stuff and an email client that isn't outlook or thunderbird that is as balanced and capable as OSX mail.  But, I feel at home now and am excited to build a hella custom rig for work and blasting on Battlegrounds.  Mac is dead.  It died along with Steve.

#28 Carey

Carey

• Admin
  • 969 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:48 PM

I'm not reading it. Why would I be reading it? Me read it? Nope.

Not that anyone is indicating that it's coming, but I'm waiting for apple to evolve the half-measure of the macbook "touch bar" (idiotic) to a full touch screen. There's a rapidly diminishing number of reasons to stay, otherwise. I can't imagine it's too far down the road, though. It's basically a clamshell iPad Pro with a keyboard. Otherwise known as a surface book. ;)

#29 zook

zook

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

The essence of everything that is wrong with Apple has been distilled and the "touch bar" is the result. This makes the days of Power Computing seem like the apex of innovation and dynamism.

Still, it's not as shite as Adobe CC's bollocks of a subscription model.

Ars longa, vita brevis.

#30 justinfromohio

justinfromohio

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Motion Graphics, skateboarding, and Fender guitars

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

Echo......echo.....  IF anyone is still out there reading this.  I bought a Surface Studio last December.  Arrived mid Jan.  I'm in total love with it as hardware and the Windows 10 experience.  I've been a Mac head since the early 90's and now I don't give a shit about it anymore.  I spend all my time on the Studio and it's a bummer when I pick up my Macbook Pro or mess with the Trash can Mac.  I installed some helper apps to be more mac like (like Snag it and programmed it to simulate OSX's cropped screen grabs to desktop functionality).  And I'm happy as a clam.  I miss iMessage stuff and an email client that isn't outlook or thunderbird that is as balanced and capable as OSX mail.  But, I feel at home now and am excited to build a hella custom rig for work and blasting on Battlegrounds.  Mac is dead.  It died along with Steve.

This just sold me on switching over. I've been on the fence trying to justify sticking with Apple but can't do it anymore. Was going to go 5k iMac with eGPU but now, hello custom build. 

Living Dude!

www.justinfromohio.com

#31 Carey

Carey

• Admin
  • 969 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

If you're not interested in completely moving house, I'm hearing some pretty good things about this external gpu. I do everything on a macbook, so it's kind of enticing. And in that case, this could follow you through upgrades. 

https://bizon-tech.com

#32 CharlieDog

CharlieDog

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

http://magnet.crowdcafe.com/

'tis a thing of wonder.

#33 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:21 PM

As a Mac guy who switched to Windows recently, here are my mac-like modifications so far:

- "seer" simulates OSX's "Quicklook"

- SNAGIT which I used to simulate how OSX does screen grabs (I assigned ctl-alt-4 to bring up a crop tool and save the image both in the clipboard and to the desktop auto-named with 'screenshot' and the date and time stamp)

- PRORES FOR WINDOWS  [I haven't purchased yet but am following progress]

- MacDrive which allows your mac formatted drives to be read/write'd to on Windows 10

- For PDF instead of Preview, I just use Acrobat DC since I have Adobe CC anyways.

- Still haven't found a mail solution I like as much as OSX mail so I use Win10 mail for now.

- Windows Edge browser is still too new so I use Chrome.

ALSO of note:

- You can add your iCloud account to Windows 10 so it will have all of your OSX contacts and calendar events in sync with your macs or iphone.  But note it will error by default when you enter your iCloud password.  You need to go to your iCloud account and have Apple generate a password for a non-apple product that you will use instead.  Once you add this to windows, your Windows "People" will be in sync with your Mac world.

- I have been looking for any solution to allow you to chat on windows with Apple iMessage or standard SMS texts and I cannot find a solution.  Would love if anyone knows if this exists.  You can send a single SMS message but not have a 2-way convo.  So for now I'll keep a Mac Pro or Mac Laptop on the side of my desk for iMessaging.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users