• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MndlssOmssn

MndlssOmssn

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:52 AM

Hey Everyone,

You guys have always given me great/constructive feedback in the past so I wanted to get your thoughts on my latest reel.

https://vimeo.com/188635084

I'm based in London and hoping to go freelance in the first quarter of 2017 and wanted to see if you guys think I'm up to scratch to make it?

Cheers

Edited by MndlssOmssn, 25 October 2016 - 10:29 AM.

#2 Carey

Carey

Wise Sage of mograph / formerly known as Binky

• Admin
  • 969 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:14 PM

You're up to scratch, of course. But your pitch needs some fixin'.

First: Remember who you're initially talking to. Probably producers or even coordinators. Your reel is your whole voice, your entire pitch for this first introduction, and the title card is the first part of that impression. I'd say that the tone of your title card doesn't match the bulk of your work, so it gives the wrong impression. Anyone looking for someone to do work like you do may pass over your reel entirely upon seeing the title card. And anyone attracted to your title card may be disconcerted with the work contained within.

Second: We all know it takes a lot of work to put together a cut, and you've likely put a lot of time into this, and it's cliché to say at this point, but it really seems to apply in this case; keep it under a minute. You've got plenty of work, and you don't need to show it all. What you need to do is make a compelling argument that you're the guy who brings the most value to the one job someone's looking to get done. So shave off a ton of the 2nd and 3rd-tier work, and get really critical about what's actually in your 1st-tier. You want only the sweetest, most succulent cuts of meat in this dish, and you want to trim even those down to the most perfect bites possible. 

You can get work with this reel, I'm sure. But it might not be the work you want. Make as compelling an argument for yourself as you possibly can. Look like a rock star who deserves whatever rate he's asking for. Otherwise, it's rough looking like just another generalist who's hot-swappable for every other generalist. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users