• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shapirog

shapirog

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:42 PM

A new reel after 3 years of no updates!  Hope you guys like it.  I welcome any feedback you might have.

http://gavinshapiro.com/

#2 Carey

Carey

Wise Sage of mograph / formerly known as Binky

• Admin
  • 960 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:21 AM

I really like them title cards. Not overbearing, but charismatic, and really well treated. I can see animation talent here.

The selection of work is really varied, as in you're showing a wide range of skills and interests, which makes for a bit of a confusing time trying to figure out where you fit exactly, but most of the selections seem to have a similar level of quality, and that's not disconcerting. And I'm sure this sort of jack-of-all-trades presentation will be appealing to some smaller studios who want generalists.

The edit itself, however, is a bit lackluster. The track you've chosen doesn't modulate much between levels of energy, it just kind of stays at the same activity or mood-level throughout, so there's no contrast between rest and action. And long sections are cut 1-2-3-4, straight to the regular disco beat, so the overall effect becomes monotonous and unengaging. Ideally, you want to keep surprising the viewer, and you're not really doing that. If you think about your reel like a story, your story right now is kind of like "He went to the store. Then he went to the post office. Then he went to the pet shop. Then he went to get ice cream. Then he went to the office. Then he went to the game. Then he went to the barber. Then he went to the pizza parlor. Then he went..." That could be an interesting story, thereby making each of those places interesting, but right now it's mostly a plodding recollection of timed events that have nothing to do with each other. This isn't going to kill your chances of getting work or anything, but as a presentation, your work can make much more of an impression than it currently is.

By contrast, check this out (by Gary Provost):

This sentence has five words. Here are five more words. Five-word sentences are fine. But several together become monotonous. Listen to what is happening. The writing is getting boring. The sound of it drones. It’s like a stuck record. The ear demands some variety. Now listen. I vary the sentence length, and I create music. Music. The writing sings. It has a pleasant rhythm, a lilt, a harmony. I use short sentences. And I use sentences of medium length. And sometimes, when I am certain the reader is rested, I will engage him with a sentence of considerable length, a sentence that burns with energy and builds with all the impetus of a crescendo, the roll of the drums, the crash of the cymbals–sounds that say listen to this, it is important.

#3 shapirog

shapirog

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:25 AM

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write out such an insightful critique.  I totally agree with you and I think you've articulated what I was struggling with during the edit process.

I'm not sure how much I'll change this time, but it's definitely something I will build my next reel around once develop a more focused, less jack-of-all-trades voice.

Thanks again for your time Carey.

#4 Rafael

Rafael

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 03:53 PM

This sentence has five words. Here are five more words. Five-word sentences are fine. But several together become monotonous. Listen to what is happening. The writing is getting boring. The sound of it drones. It’s like a stuck record. The ear demands some variety. Now listen. I vary the sentence length, and I create music. Music. The writing sings. It has a pleasant rhythm, a lilt, a harmony. I use short sentences. And I use sentences of medium length. And sometimes, when I am certain the reader is rested, I will engage him with a sentence of considerable length, a sentence that burns with energy and builds with all the impetus of a crescendo, the roll of the drums, the crash of the cymbals–sounds that say listen to this, it is important.

What a great way to communicate the concept. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users