• Please log in to reply
430 replies to this topic

#61 jasfish

jasfish

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:37 AM

I've used the free version from tcast and it's awesome. The pro version is definitely on my wish list I'm giving to my boss soon.

Edited by jasfish, 28 February 2007 - 02:39 AM.

#62 the_Monkey

the_Monkey

simian

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:57 AM

I am a massive camera snob. I silently judge everybody by their camera curves. ;)
I love my camera moves and for years have mocked the idea that a plugin could make my cameras better.
That's why I had never bought SteadyCamPro even though it's been around for quite awhile.

I'm not sure what the mind-flip was, but I purchased it a few weeks ago and I have blown away by its flexibility. I'm currently working on a 1m45s piece for Ecko that consists of a single smooth uninterrupted camera move. It will be done in about a week and is a beautiful showcase for SCP. I'm anxious to share it with everyone. I will unlikely build another camera move without SCP.

No disrespect to Chris's tools, they are awesome and essentially the type of complex Xpresso tags I've been using for years for my own camera work. They're also worth a lot more than what he's asking for them, which is very generous of him. Thanks again man.

-m

Edited by the_Monkey, 28 February 2007 - 10:29 AM.

#63 tcastudios

tcastudios

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:12 PM

Hi -m!
Looking forward to see what you have cooking!

And thanks for the thumbs up jasfish!

Cheers
Lennart
R14+ | OSX | xfiles Cinema4D Tools

#64 jasfish

jasfish

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:04 PM

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Chris .. I use some of your freebies and I appreciate them a lot .. especially for someone still fairly new at C4d.

#65 biggieboy

biggieboy

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

awesome, thanks guys, we'll be ordering it in the next couple days. (sorry to hijack the thread. Once again, AWESOME tools Chris)

Edited by biggieboy, 28 February 2007 - 03:59 PM.

#66 cgmafia

cgmafia

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:54 PM

cool thread
keep up this good work

#67 basilisk

basilisk

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:43 PM

Just finished the launch video for Virgin Media which made extensive use of CS_3D stroke. It made a real difference to getting it done. (Concept is a bit cliched - but the 3D stroke look is actually part of the new Virgin Media logo, so I couldn't avoid it)

you can see it on
basilisk web
click on the first project

#68 C.Smith

C.Smith

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,936 posts
  • Interests:Keepin it real.

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:25 PM

Just finished the launch video for Virgin Media which made extensive use of CS_3D stroke. It made a real difference to getting it done. (Concept is a bit cliched - but the 3D stroke look is actually part of the new Virgin Media logo, so I couldn't avoid it)

you can see it on
basilisk web

Wow! Holy shit dude. So you got to tell me now that you used my own tool a million times more than I have, what can I do to make it better? Did you find any glaring problems with it? Any additions to make it more useful?
chris smith :: some of my work

#69 basilisk

basilisk

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:36 PM

So you got to tell me now that you used my own tool a million times more than I have

Overused may be the word you are looking for...yep I certainly owe you - next time you are passing I'll get you a few drinks.

Any additions to make it more useful?

I ended up using my own custom profile, rather than the preset circle. Maybe you could include a few options there, maybe a ribbon profile, and a multi-strand profile (you then might need to have an option to rotate the profile)

The tool works pretty much as required. I sometimes get a glitch on the first frame, like the xpresso doesn't kick in properly till frame 2. Not sure why, but it is easy enough to get round this. It would be good to have more control of the scale along the length of the stroke - to get things like rounded ends, but these are pretty difficult to achieve with the sweepnurbs scale graph.

Also when the offset approaches 0 or 100, a thick stroke loses it's nice taper and you get quite a sharp cutoff at the end. The maths would probably be nasty but if you could get a smoother decay at the ends it would be nice - so curve 1 becomes curve 3 rather than curve 2

Posted Image

#70 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:58 PM

Overused may be the word you are looking for...yep I certainly owe you - next time you are passing I'll get you a few drinks.

I ended up using my own custom profile, rather than the preset circle. Maybe you could include a few options there, maybe a ribbon profile, and a multi-strand profile (you then might need to have an option to rotate the profile)

The tool works pretty much as required. I sometimes get a glitch on the first frame, like the xpresso doesn't kick in properly till frame 2. Not sure why, but it is easy enough to get round this. It would be good to have more control of the scale along the length of the stroke - to get things like rounded ends, but these are pretty difficult to achieve with the sweepnurbs scale graph.

Also when the offset approaches 0 or 100, a thick stroke loses it's nice taper and you get quite a sharp cutoff at the end. The maths would probably be nasty but if you could get a smoother decay at the ends it would be nice - so curve 1 becomes curve 3 rather than curve 2

Posted Image

Yeah, right now the offset is just an ADD function pushing the scale graph points back and forth. The graphs own built in clamp is clipping the ends. I could look at doing something where the scale shrinks as it gets towards the ends like your example. It may be as easy as a curved graph defining the scale of the point's Y positions. Where the middle of the graph is flat maxed out, but then ends S curve off. So the stroke acts like it already does but in the last 25% or so on each end, it scales down to zero at the point where it normally clips. The only bitch is syncing the 'length' parameter in there so there is no clipping. So the shrinkage is perfectly proportional to the spread of the points that define the stroke.

I keep expecting Maxon to build this into the sweepnurbs anyways. When I heard they updated Sweepnurbs in 9.5 with extra functionality, I thought everything 3Dstroke does would be a no brainer to add in. So I did this tool just to make up for what I assumed Maxon would have done in the first place. At least they gave us the graph to define scale which allowed this tool to exist at all.

#71 basilisk

basilisk

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:14 PM

I keep expecting Maxon to build this into the sweepnurbs anyways. When I heard they updated Sweepnurbs in 9.5 with extra functionality, I thought everything 3Dstroke does would be a no brainer to add in. So I did this tool just to make up for what I assumed Maxon would have done in the first place. At least they gave us the graph to define scale which allowed this tool to exist at all.

As you say, you may be wasting your time. Maybe wait till 10.1 comes out to see if Maxon has made your tool redundant, before spending more time on it.

#72 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:21 PM

As you say, you may be wasting your time. Maybe wait till 10.1 comes out to see if Maxon has made your tool redundant, before spending more time on it.

Speaking of which, any word on 10.1 release date? Looking for some much needed NLA in there.

#73 basilisk

basilisk

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:11 PM

Still on 9.6 here. For most the jobs I do, there is nothing that is essential in v10. Unlike the mograph module which I snapped up straight away. I tend to be a bit conservative on the upgrade process. If 10.1 adds in more nice features (and bug fixes) I guess I might have to go for it.

#74 Guest_Sao_Bento_*

Guest_Sao_Bento_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:55 PM

you can see it on
basilisk web

Very nice. I like the simplicity of the virtual sets as well.

#75 basilisk

basilisk

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:13 PM

Very nice. I like the simplicity of the virtual sets as well.

:blush:
there were only three weeks to do the post production, so "simplicity" wasn't chosen just for stylistic reasons. The Virgin client thought it was "very Virgin" i.e. red and black, as opposed to Sky's current branding which is all ice blues and white.

#76 the_Monkey

the_Monkey

simian

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:01 PM

Speaking of which, any word on 10.1 release date? Looking for some much needed NLA in there.

I'm a little anxious for 10.1ish NLA and bug fixes as well, but I wouldn't go back to the 9.6 timeline/fcurves for money.

Really great implementation of strokes basilisk. I'm using those user data curves more and more these days. (And I love that Fat Fighters bit from Little Britain) :)

-m

Edit: and you did truly nail it... that is *very* Virgin.

Edited by the_Monkey, 03 March 2007 - 08:03 PM.

#77 johnny on the spot

johnny on the spot

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:13 AM

This looks extremely useful. Haven't had the time to check it out yet, but judging from the previous comments it seems to be worthwhile.
Thanks a lot,
Johnny

#78 Mutant

Mutant

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Skydiving and 3D

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:01 AM

THIS IS FREAKY COOL

Thanks a lot

#79 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:36 PM

THIS IS FREAKY COOL

Thanks a lot

When I get off my lazy ass to put some final touches on them, I'm "releasing" a new 10.1 version with more tools, a better UI and some fixes.

#80 basilisk

basilisk

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:14 PM

When I get off my lazy ass to put some final touches on them, I'm "releasing" a new 10.1 version with more tools, a better UI and some fixes.

Great news. ;)
9.6 compatible? (please...)

Edited by basilisk, 18 June 2007 - 03:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users